How to Sell Items on Craigslist
Craigslist makes reaching people in your area who may be interested in buying something your selling a painless process. You can post a strictly text ad in a matter of minutes, and you can even add a picture to give potential customers a better idea of what you're selling. Craigslist is ideal for selling larger items that you may have to mark at a steep discount at a garage sale to move, and exposes you to a more interested group of people than you may get at a garage sale or by posting an ad in a local shopper or elsewhere online.
The Process for Selling Items on Craigslist
- Open your Web browser and navigate to the Craigslist sign-in page, which can be accessed by clicking here.
- Enter the username and and password associated with your Craigslist account, and then click "Log In." If you don't have an account, you'll need to create one before you can sell any items on Craigslist. Your Craigslist My Account page opens, displaying tabs that include Your Postings, New Posting, Account Settings and more. If your account opens to the general Craigslist page displaying states and cities, you'll need to select the closest city to you within your state, and then you'll need to click "My Account" in the upper-left corner of the page.
- Click "New Posting" in the row of tabs.
- Click the radio button to the left of "For Sale."
- Click the radio button to the left of the category of item that you want to sell on Craigslist.
- Enter a title for the item you want to sell in the Posting Title field; enter a price in the Price field; and then enter a general location for where your located. Beneath Reply To, select whether you want to hide your e-mail address or allow users to contact you through an anonymous e-mail address. Also, enter a description about what you're selling beneath Posting Description.
- Click "Continue" if you don't have images to add to advance to the review screen. If you do have images to add, scroll down and then click "Add/Edit Images."
- Click "Browse" beneath one of the red "X" sections and then select the image you want to add. Repeat this for any additional images you want to add. A green circle will replace the red "X" after the image has been loaded, however, you won't be able to see the image until you review your posting. The review screen will appear where you can review all aspects of your add.
- Click "Continue" after reviewing your add to post it. A screen appears notifying you that the item you want to sell has been posted. Alternatively, you may see a message that tells you to check the e-mail associated with your Craigslist account for a message where you must verify your account before your new posting goes live.