ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How to Start a Home Care Business in California

Updated on April 21, 2010

A Step-by-Step Guide to Starting Your Home Care Business in California

Life expectancy has increased dramatically over the last few years. As a result, people living to 100 years of age are now one of the fastest growing segments, which has spiked growth in the home care business industry. As the number of elderly people increases, so does the need for home care. A medical or non-medical home health care business is a promising business with unlimited potential.

There is no required license in California specific for home care agencies. Below you can find information and links to state and federal websites, which will provide you with the necessary filing forms.

Home Care Licensing

There is no required license in California specifically for home care agencies.

Registering Your Business Name

In the state of California, if you are not using a legal name (the official name of the person or entity that owns the business) as part of your business name, then you must register a Business Name. In California you must do this at the county level. The best thing for you to do is call your county clerk's office to find out what forms you will need to fill out.

Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

A Federal Employment Identification Number is required of all home care companies who will have employees. You may apply (Form SS-4) for an FEIN by calling the Business and Specialty Tax Line weekdays between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time at 1-800-829-4933. You may also apply online using the Internet EIN Application. For more information visit:

State Income Tax Withholding / Unemployment Compensation

As an employer you must register with the Employment Development Department both for Employee State Tax Withholding and Unemployment Insurance. To register, you can call (916) 654-7041 or download or order forms online on the Employment Development Department website. Click here for further information on Employer/Employee Tax.

Workers' Compensation

According to California state regulations, California employers are required to have Workers' Compensation Insurance. To acquire Workers Compensation Insurance, you can contact:

  • A private licensed insurer authorized to sell these policies within the state of California.
  • The largest carrier in California is State Compensation Insurance Fund. If you are unable to find coverage on your own, State Fund is required to provide your home care business with coverage.

State Management of Medicaid

For any questions about California's state regulations on Medicaid for your business, please contact:

California Department of Health Services
P.O. Box 997413
Sacramento, CA 95899-7413
Local: 1-916-440-7400

Do you want to learn more about How to start a home care business? Please visit for more detailed information and tools for starting or improving your home care business. Getting advice from experienced professionals.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.