- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Historic Fruit Cove, Florida For Travel and Work
Fruit Cove - Fastest Growing Suburb of Jacksonville
The village of Fruit Cove, Florida is a thriving suburb of Jaksonville, near popular vacation spots and retirement living, yet full of people of all ages.
The village offers access to increased job listings since 2009, which are forecast by local and state governments to continue on the upswing through the 2010s.
Not only the fastest growing place in the state, it is known as the most affordable suburb for Florida living. Even though it is part of a larger upscale community, it is most affordable.
Fruit Cove is a CDP - an unincorporated, census-designated place. It is larger than a neighborhood and about the size of a vallage, located in St. Johns County, Florida and approximately 5 miles south of the Henry H. Buckman Bridge that lies on the I-295 Outerbelt around Jacksonville.
Fruit Cove is also a part of a larger CDP, also named "St. Johns", which covers the entire 32259 zip code. St. Johns community includes the villages Fruit Cove, Switzerland, and Julington Creek in the same zip code. Upscale overall, St. Johns community supports many golf courses, retail shops, boutiques, and mansions, along with protected marsh lands and protected wetlands that draw visitors and intrigue residents.
The local Fruit Cove population numbered 16,077 in the US Census2000 and increased substantially through 2009 to 28,462 - nearly double. This increase - larger than for any other Florida city, town, or village - led Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine to name it the fastest growing place in Florida for 2010.
St. Johns - Southeast on the Map
Citrus Groves and Travel
The St. Augustine Historical Society reports that Fruit Cove promoted the local Citrus Industry successfully in the second half of the 19th century very well, taking its name from its best business.
The nearby St. Johns River has been called Rio de Corrientes (River of Currents) by Spanish explorers, Rio de San Juan after a local Catholic Mission and finally St. John's and St. Johns, dropping the apostrophe.
Fruit Cove has been a travel hot spot since the 1700s and well known for fruit production.
Mr. William Bartram arrived in the area with father in 1765 to study the plant life. William wished to become a planter of local crops, but could not succeed and left the region. However, he came back in 1774 and wrote a book about his journey that the called Travels. A local high school is named in his honor today.
Cities and Fruits
Two years earlier than Bartram, in 1772, Francis Fatio was successful in planting 10,000 acres of fruit plantation in what is now St. Johns County and named it New Switzerland; the "New" was dropped in modern times.
During the 19th century, the communities of Fruit Cove and Mandarin were named after the groves of fruit that grew in them.
Although Bartram could not grow fruit, many others were successful in the industry. Nearby St. Augustine, settled by the Spanish, is the oldest continuously populated town in the nation.
- Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
The Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
- Karpeles Manuscript Library
This is a Museum holding the largest private collection of original manuscripts and documents in the world.Karpeles Manuscript Library; 101 W. 1st Street Jacksonville, Florida 32206; North of Jacksonville Landing.
Downtown Attractions and Boat Parking
- Jacksonville Landing
Downtown Shopping Mall of specialty goods and services. Lots of special events and community activities. Cafes and nightclubs abound.
- Museum of Science and History Jacksonville FL
Features interactive exhibits, special events, and the Alexander Brest Planetarium. Includes hours, fees, daily programs, member benefits and directions.
- Museums: Downtown Jacksonville's Premier Art Museum
Visit the site of Ponce de Leon's Fountain of Youth quest joust southeast of Jacksonville near St. Augustine, the oldest city in America.
Points Southeast of Jacksonville
Fruit Cove and Mandarin
A Great Suburb South of the Outerbelt
Top Hiring Companies
- Various staffing agencies - Healthcare, Sales, IT, and Sales
- Mayo Clinic
- Advance Auto Parts, Inc.
- Medical Connections Inc.
- Shands Healthcare
- Baptist Medical Center Beaches
- US Naval Medical Command - US Naval Air Station
- Lender Processing Services
- St. Vincent’s
- HCR ManorCare
- Critical Connection
- Bank Of America
- US Army National Guard
- Orange Park Medical Center
Highest Demand Jobs Are Increasing
- US Navy IT jobs
- Physical Therapists
- Assistant Restaurant Managers
- General Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Sales Managers
- Shift Leaders and Hourly Assistant Managers
- Commercial Parts, Mobile Sales, and Retail Parts Sales - Auto Parts
- Customer Service Representatives
Other High Demand Jobs:
- Assistant Store Managers - Retail shops, coffee shops, small dining places.
- Child Care - "Teachers" needed are care workers in various chains of child care centers
The 10 Largest Metro Employers
- US Naval Air Station - Located just 4 miles south of Jacksonville, Florida.
- Baptist Health System
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Florida - Health and Medical Insurance
- CSX - International transportation in an assortment of rail, container-shipping, intermodal, trucking and contract logistics
- Citibank (center for Citi-Card banking cards)
- Mayo Clinic
- Bank of America
- US Postal Service
- St Vincent's Medical Center
- Shands Jacksonville Healthcare
Naval Air Station Jacksonville
Located just 4 miles south of the Urban Core of Jacksonville and on the north side of the bridge above Fruit Cove, 23,000 civilian and active-duty staff serve on this US naval air station (NAS). It is a major hub for US Navy activities in the South.
Among numerous important operational missions, the naval air base supports Patrol Squadron Thirty, the Navy's largest aviation squadron and the sole P-3C Orion Fleet Replacement Squadron to train US, NATO and Allied pilots and air crew/maintenance people for more advanced missions.
This air station includes a large airfield for training and other missions, a maintenance depot of nearly 200 different skilled trades, a US Naval Hospital, a US Navy Fleet Industrial Supply Center, a Navy Family Service Center, and numerous recreational facilities for civilian and service personnel and families.
College classes and distance learning are available on NAS Jacksonville for the following schools:
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Jacksonville University
- Southern Illinois University
- Webster University
- Columbia College
- Florida Community College - Jacksonville
One Day Per Week:
- Coastline Community College
- Nova Southeastern University
- Thomas State College
- Vincennes University
Higher Education System in Jacksonville Area
- Edward Waters College
- Everest University Jacksonville Campus
- Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Florida Technical College
- Heritage Institute: Jacksonville Massage Therapy School, X-Ray Medical Techs, etc.
- Jacksonville University - Home
- Jones College - Jacksonville
- Mayo Clinic Florida
- University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville
- University of North Florida
© 2010 Patty Inglish