- Business and Employment»
- Business Management & Leadership
Impressions about book "6 Habits of Highly Effective Managers"
impressions about book
Recently I have been reading the book “6 Habits of Highly Effective Bosses” written by STEPHEN E.KOHN, VINCENT D. O’CONNEL, 2005. I readed this wonderfull book very quick, as is an interesting and usefull book, specially for managers or a consultant for management consulting.
The book has nine interesting chapters:
1. The real “People strategy”
2. Warning signs of people management problems
3. 6 Habits of Highly Effective Bosses
4. First habit: expanding self-awareness
5. Second habit: practicing empathy
6. Third habit: following “Golden Rule” Principles
7. Fourth habit: maintaining proper boundaries
8. Fifth habit: criticizing artfully
9. Sixth habit: “Flexing” to different people styles
Every chapter is structured in the following way: the main ideas about topic, a study case, discuss on study case, and a few questions for the reader. Also chapters have simple ideas and with a lot of practical examples.
First chapter is about people strategy practiced in the companies by the managers and also by the human resources department. It is good for the employees of the each companie to have such type of strategy.
Also there is a theory of people management, as for example the theories of Douglas McGregor – theory X, theory Y. This theory are described in the book of D.McGregor – The Human Side of Enterprise.
Theory X is about suspicious and autoritary managers, that consider an employee as a person that prefers to be:
· Leaded by manager
· Run from responsibilities
· Wants to be sure about all
On the opposite side is theory Y, which suppose:
· To work is also like to play a game or to rest
· Control and punishment aren’t the only ways to make people work
· When employee is happy he will dedicate himself to the organization
· In optimal conditions of work, employee accepts more and looks for more responsibilities
· In the conditions of modern industrial life, the potential of worker is used partially.
Study case is about the principles of theories presented above in a company that stopped to use time card for workers.
In the second chapter, the writers present that warning signs of people management problems. Here the signs are:
· Higher than average turnover – “People don’t leave their jobs, they leave their managers”
· Difficulty filling open positions from within
· An increase in the quantity or severity of disputes that human resources staff members are called upon to mediate
· Performance reviews are challenged
· Company policies and procedures are sidestepped because certain departments and/or their leaders are deemed “difficult to work with”
· Schisms or cliques are evident within a department
In case you want to know more about these warning signs, you will find more information in this chapter.
Finnally, third chapter is telling us about 6 famous habits of highly effective managers:
1. Expanding self-awareness
2. Practicing empathy
3. Following “Golden Rule” Principles
4. Maintaining proper boundaries
5. Criticizing artfully
6. “Flexing” with different people styles
More detailed information about habits are explained in the next chapters.