Interview Questions for Dental Hygienist
The Role of the Dental Hygienist
The role of the dental hygienist is to work closely with the dentist to assist in the prevention and treatment of oral disease, by monitoring the patients progress, giving advice, and helping the patient to develop a home care plan so that they can maintain their oral health. The dental hygienist concentrates on periodontal health, and performs scaling and polishing of teeth and gums, using a wide range of dental tools, including an ultrasonic scaler.
If you are thinking of going for an interview for a job as a dental hygienist, you must have a two year diploma in dental hygiene, or a three year degree in combined dental hygiene and therapy, or Oral Health Science, and must be registered with the GDC and have insurance. You would also be subject to a CRB check.
Whether you are the interviewer or the interviewee, here are a list of questions that may be asked at interview, and you may find helpful:
Interview Questions for a Dental Hygienist
- What kind of education, training and qualifications do you have relating to dental hygiene?
- Has your previous experience been with NHS or Private Practices? Are you familiar with NHS banding and fees?
- What have you done since qualifying to improve your skill?
- What made you choose dental hygiene as a career?
- What do you think makes a good dental hygienist?
- What qualities do you think are required for the job, and what qualities do you think you can contribute?
- What do you think are your strengths?
- What do you think are your weaknesses?
- Why have you considered a change of jobs?
- Why would you like to work with this company?
- How ambitious are you, where do you see yourself in five years time and what are your career goals?
- How alike is your last job to this role that you are applying for?
- What did you like and dislike about the job?
- What do you think of the last company you worked for, how did you get on with the staff and boss?
- Why have you chosen to leave?
- What factors, besides salary, will influence your decision on working with our business?
- How do you feel you cope under pressure?
- Some patients can be uncooperative during treatment. Can you give an example of a time when a patient was uncooperative with you? How did you feel, how did you resolve the issue, and what was the outcome?
- Have you ever disagreed with a dentist regarding treatment of a patient? How did you handle the issue and what was the outcome?
- Can you give an example of solving a dental issue with a patient? What was the problem, how did you resolve it, and what was the outcome?
- What computer skills do you have? How do you feel about charting and working on the computer?
- Are you up-to-date with CPD hours?
- Are you willing to have a CRB check?
- Do you have references?
- What are your means of transport?
- What are your interests outside of work?
Some of my other un-related hubs you may want to read:
- Trainers and Shoes that Help Tone your Calves, Thighs and Bum
Exercise is essential if you want to tone your legs and bum. Walking, jogging and cycling are all good workouts for your buttocks, calves and thighs, but if you want to fast-track your progress you may want to...
- Numerology: How to work out your Life Path Number and what it means
Numerology is an ancient system of numbers that has been used for over five thousand years, and is used to gain a greater understanding of ourselves and our universe. The Chinese, Japanese, Hebrews, Greek,...
- Top 10 Things to do in North Wales
Top 10 Things to do in North Wales With everyone feeling the brunt of the recession, more and more people are opting to holiday in the UK rather than vacating abroad. Holidays and breaks...
- How to make the Best Pancakes
Shrove Tuesday is nearly here, or what is more commonly known as Pancake day! This year it falls on March 8th. Shrove Tuesday is the eve to Ash Wednesday, which represents the first day of lent! Pancakes were...
- Sonic Wave CD-2800 Ultrasonic Jewelry & Eyeglass Cleaner
This amazing product offers you the convenience of professionally cleaning your jewelry and eyeglasses and much more, in the comfort of your own home and without the use of any chemicals, only water! This...
Here are some more of my dental hubs you may find interesting:
- Dental Practice Manager Job Description
Since I've been going to a Practice Managers course, my first assignment was to design a job description for each member of the dental team. I tried to research dental job descriptions and do some research on...
- Dental Nurse Job Description
At the moment I have just started a Practice Managers course, and my assignment was to create job descriptions for each member of the dental team. While researching on the internet for examples, I found...
- Dental Hygienist Job Description
I am currently doing a Practice Managers course, and part of my assignments was to create job descriptions for the dental team. While looking on the internet for different examples, I found it very difficult...
- How To Brush Your Teeth Properly And Which Toothbrush To Use To Get A White Smile
I know it may seem like a patronising statement, I mean unless you're four years old who doesn't know how to brush their teeth right? But during my time working as a dental nurse I was shocked to see how many...
- The Perfect Smile Starts with Good Dental Hygiene
The Perfect Smile Starts With Good Dental Hygiene. Lets face it, who doesn't want the perfect pearly white smile? No celebrity comes without one these days, and with the advances of dental cosmetics it is...