Work in Cleveland, Drew Carey's Hometown
Travel and Tourism: Major Visitor Attractions
The Cleveland sports sector enjoys a regular fan base boosted by travelers coming in from Pennsylvania and elsewhere to enjoy team rivalries with the Cleveland Browns and the Cleveland Indians.
Visitors may also stop by the Football Hall of Fame in nearby Akron and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland itself. Other travelers arrive, looking for the great seafood on this city on Lake Erie or to stroll through the Museum of Art.
Jobs Increase in Northern and Eastern Ohio
Ohio Governors Ted Strickland and John Kasich have been serious about job creation, with startling results. Manufacturing is increasing in Northeastern Ohio since 2012, including auto parts and aerospace rocketry. In fact, the Aerospace Industry supports over 1200 companies in Ohio alone.
Technologies are keys to the future in Ohio, especially in the eastern cities and the Ohio Space Corridor running from Cincinnati to Dayton and Columbus, our Number One Technology City in the nation. The John Glenn space center is part of NASA in Cleveland.
Numbers of job listings for Cleveland Metro from 2012 - 2015 increased from 2011 - 2012 and again from 2014 - 2016. Manufacturing was boosted by auto parts, aerospace parts, and drones. Mining in NE and SE Ohio was boosted by large investments in Oil & Gas. Truck Driving boomed with new jobs beginning in 2014.
The Ohio Third Frontier
Through usual ongoing Economic Development and added boosts from 2009 Stimulus Funding, Ohio's Third Frontier Project comprises a dozen initiatives to support superior globally-recognized research, commercial expansion, Employment & Training, and Information Technology infrastructures.
This is all to spike economic growth and job creation in the Greater Cleveland Area and elsewhere in Ohio. Check the news for announcements of grants, project start-ups, and emerging new jobs quickly.
Most Demanded Employees in Cleveland Job Ads
- Truck Drivers with CDL licenses
- Physical Therapists .
- Occupational Therapists
- Nurse Specialists: RNs in specialties
- Physical Therapy Assistants and Aides
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- IT Positions - Project Managers
- Customer Service Reps and Salespeople
- Medical Coding jobs
Approximately one quarter (25%) of these jobs are in seasonal sales and delivery positions, the rest being long-term career jobs.
Largest Local Hiring Companies
- Hogan Transportation
- Roehl Transport
- USA Truck
- Universal : Trucking
- Transport America
- Schneider National Trucking
- Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC
- Gordon Trucking
- McLeod Express
- CRST Trucking
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- MetroHealth System
- Integrity Technical Services
- University Hospitals
Rapid Transit is a Key to Economic Growth
Largest Employers in Cleveland
The largest employers - those having the most employees - in the Greater Cleveland Area include those that are the largest companies in the whole state of Ohio.
- Cleveland Clinic*, the Number One Heart Hospital in America: 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio
- University Hospitals System*
- Federal, State, and City Government*
- Money Mart* - Check Cashing, bill payment, and other financial and related services.
- Metro Health Medical Center*
- Progressive Insurance* - Uses heavy TV advertising with interesting characters.
- Case Western Reserve University*
- University Hospital of Cleveland*
- NASA - National Aeronautics Space Administration*: 21000 Brookpark Rd, Cleveland, OH 44135
- American Greetings*
Cleveland's Fastest Growing Companies in America
Two Cleveland Ohio area companies are in the Top 100 Fastest Growing Companies of America list of Fortune 500. These include:
- Number 59 : Cleveland-Cliffs; Joseph A. Carrabba, CEO
- 1100 Superior Avenue; Cleveland, OH 44114
This is a 160-year-old iron-ore mining company. The company supplies ArcelorMittal and other steelmakers.
- Number 7: RTI International Metals; Dawne S. Hickton, CEO
- 1000 Warren Avenue; Niles, OH 44446
Demand for titanium in the Aerospace Industry propelled this specialty-metal maker to fast growth. This includes the Cincinnati-Dayton Aerospace Corridor spanning Southwest to Central Ohio.
Fastest Growing Jobs in Cleveland
- Physical Therapists, Assistants and Aides
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Operations Research Analysts
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts
- Computer Software Engineers
- School Social Workers; Social and Human Service Managers and Assistants
- Medical Assistants
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers
- Education Administrators for Child Care and Preschools
Cleveland Jobs and Education
According to the City of Cleveland and State of Ohio, at least 75% of new job growth in here in through 2024 will continue to be in healthcare professions and will require training beyond the high school diploma.
Workers need further education and on-the-job education help such as ongoing professional development, tuition reimbursement, and various education incentives.
In 2005, the USA graduated 1.5 million students with bachelor's degrees, while China graduated 3.5 million that may come here to fill American jobs left vacant by an inadequate employee pool.
Cleveland Sports Opportunities
- Cleveland St Vikings
Professional Sports Teams
- Cleveland Browns (NFL)
- Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
- Cleveland Gladiators Arena Football
- Cleveland Indians (MLB)
- Northfield Park Raceway: Harness Racing
- Thistledown: Horse Racing
- Gund Arena in Cleveland
- Alpine Valley for Skiing
- Boston Mills/Brandywine for Skiing
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS