Jobs To Earn Cash Fast - Agency Care Worker
Jobs to Earn Cash Fast - Agency Care Worker
This is the second in a series of articles about jobs to earn cash fast. The focus on this article is on working as an agency care worker.
There is a huge number of nursing agencies in the UK, and most of them need really good, reliable carers. Naturally there are more agencies in areas with higher populations, so cities and large towns have more, but even small towns have one or two agencies.
The best place to find an agency is to look in the yellow pages and see which ones are local to you, then give them ALL a call. There is usually one agency in an area that has taken on most of the work, and until you talk to them, you won’t really know which one it is.
In order to have plenty of work offered to you, it’s important to join more than one agency. Two or three is usually sufficient, but there’s nothing to stop you from joining them all.
Nature of the Work
You will most likely be working in nursing homes, but rather than be employed by the home, the agency will find work for you on a shift-by-shift basis. This means that you may work in several different homes in the same week. However, agencies do not guarantee to find work for you, and shifts can sometimes be cancelled at the last minute, which is one reason why you need to register with more than one company.
Requirements for the Job
- No educational qualifications required. All training given is ‘on the job’.
- You need to be reliable – turn up when you are supposed to.
- You need to be prepared to work HARD.
- Empathy. You must be kind to the people you are looking after. They are people, not packages.
- Police check. Within the first month, the agency should run a police check on you to see whether you have any convictions or are on any police register. You can sometimes still work while this is being run, but some agencies may make you wait until they receive the confirmation that you are squeaky clean.
- Transport. As you will be travelling to different places for your work, it’s best if you have access to some form of transport, because this will give you more work options. However, I do know some agency carers who live in cities, who can manage to get to their work quite well using public transport.
Rates of Pay
The first article in this series focussed on working in residential and nursing homes (click here to read more), where currently (2010) most homes pay somewhere around £6.00 per hour with more for a night duty, and where the full-time working week is forty plus hours. Nursing agencies, however, pay considerably more than this, and whereas most homes pay only £1 or so more for night duty, nursing agencies usually pay around one third more (some even pay double), so for a night duty you could easily be looking at £9-£12+ per hour. Payment is usually weekly by bank transfer.
Travel – A nursing agency will also pay a decent rate for mileage incurred whilst travelling between jobs. This is usually more than enough to pay for petrol, wear and tear and to give you a little profit to add to your wage.
Shift patterns will vary, depending on where you are working and with which agency. Nursing and residential homes pay a booking fee to the nursing agency, on top of your wage, so they often book shorter shifts if they possibly can, but most homes work around the following times, give or take a little.
0800 –1400 – morning duty
1400 – 2000 – afternoon duty
0800 – 2000 – long day
2000 – 0800 – night duty
1600 – 2000 - twilight (sometimes goes on until 2200)
Advantages of Working Via an Agency
Money – the rates of pay are considerably higher than when employed by a home.
Weekly Pay – no waiting a month for the first lot of cash.
Hours – you are not obliged to just work the forty-hour week. You can book as much work as you want with an agency.
Freedom – You can pick and choose when to work (although make sure you don’t descend into laziness.)
Variety – you get to visit many more places than you knew existed.
No career pathway.
Work isn’t guaranteed and can be cancelled, but this is usually overcome by working with a couple of agencies rather than just one.
So if you want jobs to earn cash fast – agency care worker could be right up your street, particularly if you like to work hard and be well rewarded for it.