Top 10 Companies for Jobs in Columbus, Georgia
The downtown business district is near the Fort Benning U.S. Army Base, which provides increasing numbers of customers every year, both military and civilian. Thus, business and jobs are growing with the influx of people to the base.
Revitalization in this area has brought music schools, entertainment venues, dozens of dining chains, and retail shops to Columbus. A number of official historic sites add to the interest of the city, especially regarding the American Civil War. This, too, crates new jobs as visitor numbers increase n the 2020s.
Companies That Boost Local/State/Federal Economies
Three country clubs inhabit the city and these include
- Green Island Country Club
- Country Club of Columbus
- Maple Ridge Country Club.
Aside from golf courses, the city offers Callaway Gardens nearby in Pine Mountain, along with many open green areas and public parks.
Fort Benning Boosts the Economy
Columbus sits at the northwest edge of the large compound of its number one employer: the U.S. Army's Fort Benning.
This army base supports multiple thousands of army enlistees as they process through the base for the U.S. Army Infantry School. They bring substantial amounts of money into the local economy during their assignments here, which boosts the overall community wealth. Additional military operations run on this base throughout each year.
Top 10 Public and Private Companies
- Fort Benning: At least 40,000 employees in government and civilian jobs.
- Total System Services (TSTY): credit card issuer and processor.
- Muscogee County School District
- Aflac: Insurance
- Columbus Regional Healthcare System, Inc.
- Columbus Consolidated Government
- KIA Motors Manufacturing Georgia Inc.
- St. Francis Hospital Inc.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Georgia
- Columbus State University
Additional Top Companies (Location: Downtown District)
- Synovus Financial (SNV)
- Carmike Cinemas (CKEC): The national company HQ is located in Columbus.
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company: The beverage was invented here in Georgia in Columbus by Dr. John Pemberton
- W.C. Bradley Company: Real Estate and Char Broil Grills
- Lamplight Farms: Manufacturing of Tiki torches for decor.
- Zebco Fishing: Rods and reels, and equipment for other sports.
Job Openings in Health and Medical
The highest demand jobs are in these fastest growing clusters:
- Social Services.
The Health Insurance & Financial Products Industry is also a big supplier of employment opportunities within such companies as AFLAC and Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia.
Top High Demand Jobs
- Dental Hygienists
- Medical Assistants
- Medical Records Techs
- Radiations Therapists and Techs
- IT Systems Analysts, including government, healthcare, education, and otherx.
- Social Workers, especially in Mental Health Agencies
In the Greater Columbus Area, including Muscogee County, the following jobs are expected to increase by high percentages.
Health and Medical, Non-Insurance Jobs
- Nursing & Residential Care Facilities
- Health Care Assistance
- Ambulatory Health Care Services
Related Services Needing Workers
- Social Assistance (aides and companions)
- Administrative & Support Services (including hospitals and insurance companies)
- Educational Services
Insurance Companies Advertising Most Open Positions
- Columbus Insurance Group
- State Farm Insurance Companies
- Flowers-Lewis & Associates
- Budget Auto Insurance
- Payne's World-Wide Insurance
- Delta Life Insurance Co
- Woodmen of the World Insurance
- Financial Management Brokerage
Most Frequently Seen Job Listings Advertised
The job titles most often listed in Columbus, Georgia include:
- Physical Therapists
- Installers & Repair Technicians
- IT Jobs: Project Managers, Functional Analysts, Senior System Analysts, Programmers
- Occupational and Physical Therapists, Assistants, and Aides
- Patient Services Technician Specialists, Patient Care Techs
- Specimen Accessioners - Healthcare
- Financial Advisors
- Outside Sales Representatives
- Continuous Improvement Managers: Manufacturing and other industries.
- Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives
Soft Drink Manufacturing
Five beverage bottling companies offer interesting museum exhibits as well as some opportunities for employment in Columbus, Georgia. Several successful bottling companies operate in the city.
Local Bottling Companies
- Buffalo Rock Company: Pepsi Cola Distributor at 4356 Allied Drive, Columbus
- CCBCC Operations, LLC: 6055 Coca Cola Blvd, Columbus
- Cott Beverages Inc.: 1000 10th Ave., Columbus
- MWM Cola Co LLC: 6231 Gateway Road, Columbus
- Southeast Canners, Inc.: 7607 Veterans Parkway, Columbus
Historic Sites Build Tourism Businesses
Local Gathering of Superheroes
Colleges and Universities
- Columbia State University
- Columbus Technical College
- Auburn University (within 40 miles) - Consistently ranked in the Top 50 schools nationwide by the magazine US News & World Report. Wide range of training programs available. Quick commute times to Columbus GA.
Teaching Hospitals and Medical Centers
- Columbus Regional Healthcare
- Doctor's Hospital
- Houghston Orthopedic Hospital
- Martin Army Community Hospital (Fort Benning)
- St. Francis Hospital
- Summit Hospital (Phoenix City)
- West Georgia Health System (LaGrange)
Sports Opportunities - Professional and Recreational
Professional Major and Minor Leagues
- Columbus Cottonmouths Hockey
- Columbus Riverdragons Basketball
Peach Belt College Conference
- Cooper Creek Tennis
- Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce
- Glassdoor.com job openings and reviews for Columbus GA.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS