Detroit Jobs In Manufacturing, Transportation and Health
Fiat-Chrysler Invests Millions of Dollars in Detroit Area
The United States division of Fiat-Chrysler automobile enterprise decided on January 8, 2017 to invest at least one billion dollars in new manufacturing plants that will create at least 2,000 jobs. Over half of these positions will open in the Greater Detroit Area.
This is good news for job seekers who were dismayed with Ford plans in 2016 to build cars in Mexico. These underemployed workers can look froward to well paying manufacturing jobs, including supervision and management. While Ford cancelled their Mexico manufacturing scheme, related automotive jobs have not been singled out for the Detroit area. Fiat-Chrysler steopped in with the employment opportunities.
The Warren plant is located just a few miles north of Detroit, between 8 Mile Road and 9 Mile Road east of Interstate 75.
The most recent North American International Auto Show in Detroit allowed Jeep to announce its 2020 Jeep Pickup, exciting attendees, as did announcements for the Jeep 2018 and 2019 Wrangler.
Numbers of advertised jobs for the Greater Detroit Area increased with a surge in 2012 and 2013, and a larger surge from 2014 through 2016. Trucking & Freight began to provide a large portion of new jobs from 2014 - 2021, with projections of increased employment extending into 2028.
FCA, Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (America)
Fiat-Chrysler America began to restructure the Warren automobile manufacturing facility in 2016 to produce its new 2020 Jeep. The plant is conveniently located next to the FCA stamping factory and creates a larger FCA complex.
Warren Truck Assembly Plant
Ford Motor Company Invests More Money in Michigan
In January 2017, Ford Motor Company reconsidered shipping thousands of jobs to Mexico and cancelled their plans for a $1.6 billion manufacturing plant in Mexico.
Company leaders decided to put $700 million into the assembly plant in Flat Rock, Michigan, some 40 miles southeast of Detroit, but no new jobs are as yet forecast for this plant.
Companies With Largest Numbers of Advertised Jobs
These companies are hiring the most people in and around Detroit in 2017:
- O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Henry Ford Health System
- St. John Providence Hospital
- St. Joseph Mercy Health
- Retail Stores: Family Dollar, Dollar General, Speedway, CVS Health and Pharmacies, The Home Depot, Meijer
- Big Box Stores: Trucking and warehousing jobs.
- MAPSA, Michigan Association of Public School Academies - Charter Schools
- Engineering jobs: FCA Group, G-TECH Services, Inc.; General Motors, Ford Motor Company, CSL Behring (bio-technology)
- Universities: University of Michigan, Michigan Medicine, Wayne State University
- Food Service: Domino's crew, staff, and drivers; McDonald's Restaurants, all positions; Taco Bell; Kroger grocery stores
Major Trucking Companies Advertising Jobs
- Centerline Drivers, LLC
- West Side Transport
- Right Turn
- Marten Transport
- Southern Refrigerated Transport
- Taylor Truck Line Inc
- Specialized Transportation Services Inc.
- Roehl Transport
Detroit, a Transportation Hub
Truck driving and freight delivery became the most quickly expanding job category in America in 2014, increasing jobs advertised and projected even further in 2015 through 2016. By September 2016, over 5,000 trucking jobs were advertised for the Detroit area.
This fast increase can be attributed to increased movement of oil and natural gas by truck in light of the controversies of building additional pipelines that would carry dangerous oil tar sands across our nation. An example of this is the Keystone XL final leg that may cause another Cancer Corridor with its own cancer hospitals like that in Alberta. Regardless, the debates have cause a rise in the trucking industry.
Another cause for increased truck driving jobs is the increased manufacturing of aerospace spacecraft, parts, and related machines in 2015. From 2015 - forward, the $90 Billion Drone Industry, especially in Ohio, will increase trucking jobs again to deliver drones, drone parts, and raw materials for making drones.
Detroit is a Major Great Lakes Shipping Hub
Engineering Jobs Increasing
Job listings appear in Engineering among four divisions of General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Delphi, and through Temporary Agencies. In addition, new manufacturing positions are posted for Lear company, a major maker of automobile seats. Aerospace manufacturing began gaining traction in early 2016, even within new projects inside the automobile industry.
The most needed workers in Detroit engineering are:
- Quality Engineers
- Product Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Program Managers
- Application Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
NOTE: Technicians are needed also in support of all of these engineers.
The CEO of Southfield, Mich.-based Lear aims to create 500 to 1,000 new union-represented manufacturing jobs in Detroit, potentially under a new classification at a lower hourly rate than at its other plants. Simoncini said it could create new jobs in the city instead of Mexico if it could attain a new wage tier with the UAW that pays in the mid-teens per hour with some benefits. Lear currently pays $35 per hour, which includes the cost of benefits, at its just-in-time seating plants, $25+/hr.— Dustin Walsh, Automotive News on 3/6/2016
Major Companies Hiring In Engineering
- Lear Corporation: Six locations in and around Detroit for manufacture and sales of Lear Jets and parts.
- General Motors
- Ford Motor Company
- Johnson Controls,
- ZF TRW
- Altair Engineering
- Fast Switch
- MSX International
- ASG Renaissance
- American Axle & Manufacturing.
Additional Employment Opportunities
- General Motors added two shifts and 2,500 jobs at the border of Detroit and Hamtramck, Michigan:
- GENERAL MOTORS ADDS 2,500 JOBS NEAR DETROIT
General Motors (NYSE:GM) on Wednesday said it would add two shifts and about 2,500 jobs at its Hamtramck Assembly factory straddling the border of Detroit an...
- WDIV-TV Channel 4 Detroit Jobs 4 You Feature on GalaxE.Solutions
www.galaxesolutions.com | WDIV-TV Channel 4 Detroit Jobs 4 You Feature on GalaxE.Solutions and its innovative initiative to bring quality employment opportunities to Detroit.
- A number of web- and logo-design type jobs are available through temporary and temp-to-hire placements.
- Tech jobs increased to over 8,000 listings during the autumn of 2021, with approximately 300 in aerospace technologies.
- w3r Consulting is an employment company at 1000 Town Center #1150, Southfield, MI 48075; Phone (248) 358-1002. The company specializes in jobs for Internet Technology and Healthcare.
- City Connect Detroit | City Connect Detroit: Over 5,000 youth are employed every summer in Motown, with creative and innovative training and education experiences. This builds a bridge to higher education and good employment.
Hamtramck, North of Detroit
Hottest Jobs in Detroit, Most-Advertised
Over 83,000 job openings were listed for this city inn October 2021. The highest demand jobs include:
- Engineers - General Motors, Ford Motor Company, and Chrysler
- Nurses at all levels of training and experience.
- Project Managers: IT jobs in all fields
- Physical and Occupational Therapists - Henry Ford Health System and St. John Healthcare System
- Retail Salespeople
- Speech/Language and Rehabilitation Specialists
- Store Managers and Assistant Store Managers
- Healthcare Case Managers
- Business Analysts
Non-Profits Help Track Jobs in Detroit
Detroit Downtown Map
Largest Employers in Detroit
The following companies are located in the City of Detroit and the Greater Detroit Area. Some are among the largest firms in the State of Michigan.
- Detroit Medical Center
- Henry Ford Health System
- City of Detroit, with Detroit City Schools leading.
- US Federal Government
- Quicken Loans
- Wayne State University
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Chrysler Corporation
- General Motors
- St. John Providence Health System
These employers are active in:
- Energy, and the
- Auto Industry.
Education and Training in Detroit
Colleges and Universities
Major institutions of higher education in Detroit include the following list. Not only do these schools offer high quality education and subsequent job placement serves, but they also do substantial hiring themselves.
- Baker College of Allen Park
- Davenport University - High quality career education.
- Detroit Business Institute
- Detroit Medical Center
- Dorsey Business Schools
- Ecumenical Theological Seminary
- Everest College
- Focus Hope Machinist Training Institute
- Harper University Hospital Detroit Michigan
- Henry Ford Community College
- Lewis College of Business
- Madonna University
- Marygrove College
- Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology
- Michigan Theological Seminary
- Sacred Heart Major Seminary
- Michigan State University
- Ross Medical Education Center
- Sacred Heart Seminary
- Schoolcraft College
- University of Detroit Mercy [Catholic University] and University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy
- University of Michigan
- Wayne County Community College District
- Wayne State University
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS