Employment in South Dakota
Incentives to Work in South Dakota
Finance and insurance is the leading industry overall in South Dakota, accounting for over 17% of the Gross State Product.
Other top industries are health care and social services, manufacturing, retail, real estate, and agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting.
Government, educational, healthcare, and retail employ the highest number of workers.
The Number One Employer in the state is Sioux Valley Hospital in Sioux Falls. Sioux Valley, when combined with Avera McKennan Hospital, employs over 9,700 employees in the Sioux Falls area alone.
The state of South Dakota has no income tax (personal or corporate) and holds second lowest crime rate in America. This makes the state attractive for entering businesses and migrating residents.
Sioux Falls and Rapid City Have the Most Jobs
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Sioux Falls SD
Sioux Falls SD has landed in any of the Number 1-5 slots on the list of Top 25 Best Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America for several years. It is a fast-growing community that offers a huge number of jobs in Banking, Investments, Healthcare,
- Employment in Rapid City, South Dakota - Manufacturing, Mining and Healthcare
Rapid City lies among the Black Hills of South Dakota and is one of the Top 30 Cities for Jobs in the US. The city was awarded this designation because...
Jobs in Highest Demand During the 2010s
Jobs at South Dakota State University:
- Truck Drivers
- Assistant Managers
- Certified Nursing Assistant - CNAs
- Customer Service Representatives and Cashiers
- Cooks and related
Healthcare Representatives for Insurance Sales
RNs, LPNs, Healthcare Technicians
Physical and Occupational Therapists
Information Technology jobs
Sports Related Opportunities in South Dakota
Higher Education in South Dakota
Augustana College: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Black Hills State University: Spearfish
Dakota State University: Madison
Dakota Wesleyan University: Mitchell
Kilian Community College: Sioux Falls
Lake Area Technical Institute: Watertown SD
Mitchell Technical Institute: Mitchell, South Dakota
Mount Marty College: Yankton
Northern State University: Aberdeen
Oglala Lakota College: Allen, Batesland, Kyle, Manderson. Martin, Oglala, Pine Ridge, Porcupine, Rapid City, Wanblee
Presentation College: Aberdeen. This is a four-year Catholic college sponsored by and receiving its traditions from the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Founded in 1951.
Sinte Gleska University: Mission, South Dakota
Sisseton Wahpeton Community College: Sisseton, South Dakota
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology: Rapid City
South Dakota State University: Brookings
Southeast Technical Institute: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
University of Sioux Falls: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
University of South Dakota: Vermillion
Western Dakota Technical Institute: Rapid City
Native American Business in South Dakota
- 2001 Main Street P.O. Box 590 Eagle Butte, SD 57625
Crow Creek Sioux Tribal Council
- P.O. Box 658 Fort Thompson SD 57339
- (605) 245-2221
Flandreau Santee Sioux
- Post Office Box 283 Flandreau SD 57028
- (605) 997-3981
Lower Brule Sioux Tribal Council
- P.O. Box 187 Lower Brule SD 57548
- (605) 473-5561
Oglala Sioux Tibal Council
- P. O. Box H #468 Pine Ridge SD 57770
- (605) 867-5821
Rosebud Sioux Tribe
- PO Box 430 Rosebud SD 57570
- (605) 747-2381
- P.O. Box 509 Route 2 Agency Village SD 57262
- (605) 698-3911
- P. O. Box 248 Marty SD 57361
- (605) 384-3804
Additional Information about Native Nations
- Native American Nations in the North Central States - George Caitlin Portraits
The Native American groups in this region migrated from the Pacific Northwest of Canada and US and the First Nations of middle Canada...
- Nebraska and Native America Block the Keystone XL Pipeline In Fear of Another Cancer Corridor
Health hazards and possible economic advantages of the Keystone XL Pipeline struggle amid blockades and legislation.
- Horses Help Heal the Nations On the Unity Ride
The Manatoba Unity Riders took their horses to Woodstock and the Hudson Valley NY area to begin a long journey southward to encourage North Americans to unite for peace in July and August 2013.
Renewable Energy Businesses in South Dakota
- Wind turbines, wind energy systems
- System Performance and Analysis, Wind Data Analysis, training.
- 129 Main Avenue, Gary, South Dakota USA 57237
Dakota Windmill & Supply Inc.
- Water pumping windmills.
- 28043 SD Hwy 19 , Hurley, South Dakota USA 57036
- 605 238 5110
High Plains Wind Energy, Inc.
- Wind, solar, and hydro energy systems, water pumping, solar heating and hot water, geothermal heating and cooling, other.
- Wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, biodiesel
- 527 East Jackson Boulevard, Spearfish, South Dakota USA 57783