- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Utah Provides High Demand Jobs
Rising State Economy and New Jobs
Utah has an extremely strong economy, resulting in the personal income of residents of the state growing at a speedier rate than anywhere else in the USA in the first half of 2007. From 2008 - 2017 under the Obama Administration, individual and family incomes also rose markedly.
Utah developed 54,500 new jobs in 2006, or a full 5 percent of all the jobs created in America. By November 2015, Utah enjoyed a consistent 40,000+ job listings.
The highest demand jobs include:
- Medical and Healthcare Industry jobs
- Information Technology (IT)
- The Mormon Church LDS
- US National Guard
- Aircraft and Aerospace Technologies
Growing Companies In Utah
Salt Lake City International Airport is experiencing a consistent upswing in the number of passengers - many of them business passengers - traveling through the terminal; so much so that the facility is expanding and replacing old runways and concourses. Fifteen (15) different airlines fly out of Salt Lake City International. Passengers increased from 11 million to 16 million from 1988 to 1993, with 23,157,445 total passengers during 2016 and 12,000,000 during the first half of 2017. This increase calls for more workers at all levels to be hired.
New warehouses, malls, and other commercial developments are developing new jobs for all experience levels. New roads are under contraction and will offer high-paying jobs for some years to come. The housing market is stable and growing, resulting in additional construction related job openings.
Raytheon Co. is the leader in missile manufacturing and will offer hundreds of new jobs in the next several years. They have purchased Oakley Networks to expand sales of computer-security systems to the U.S. Federal Government. The company is a member active in the NASA Commercial Crew.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is constructing a $11,400,000 BioCenter in Logan, Utah in order to manufacture containers for the businesses of life science research, biotechnology, and pharmaceuticals. Multi-million dollar urban renewal projects, including green industries, are also offering high-paying jobs. In addition, the state has several large irrigation and water reclamation projects that require skilled workers.
Utah is also a state that welcome new and expanding businesses.
Aircraft Manufacturing Increases
Airplanes and related vehicles are in high demand in America and around the world. Assemblers are need in Utah for Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems.
Jobs Growing by the Largest Percentage to 2022
A surprise to the federal and state employment forecasters, Utah and America coast to coast saw an upswing of demand for Truck Drivers beginning in 2014 and continued throughout 2015. Additional jobs that forecasters believe will increase include:
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Helpers (Labor) for Electricians
- Helpers for Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Biomedical Engineers
- Painters of Transportation Equipment
- Health Specialties Teachers - Postsecondary
- Orthotists and Prosthetists
- Interpreters and Translators
- Credit Counselors
- Skincare Specialists
- Nursing Instructors and Teachers - Postsecondary
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Home Health Aides
- Information Security Analysts
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Physician Assistants - Includes many Nurse Practitionrs
Green Industries Around Utah
- Central Utah Gardens
Water conservation, virtual garden, classes and events.
- Red Butte Garden
University of Utah: Gardens, floral shows, workshops, gardening camps, monthly gardening tips online.
- Thanksgiving Point
Thanksgiving Point Gardens, the Childrens Discovery Garden, Farm Country, and the Museum of Ancient Life, Emporium, restaurants -- family-friendly. Master Gardeners, painters, technology educators and more.
- Utah Botanical Center
A teaching garden for urban space planning, wetlands, wildlife, water reclamation, hiking and other offerings.
- Utah Energy Rated Homes
Sustainable energy and energy efficient homes. News, events, teaching and learning, announcements, sustainablity programs.
Native American Businesses
The Uintah and Ouray Reservation of Native American Nations is located in Northeastern Utah at Fort Duchesne. This is one of many tourrist attractions that boost the state economy.
Native Business Locations In Utah
Confederated Tribes of the Goshute Reservation: Post Office Box 6104; Ibapah UT 84034
- (801) 234-1136
Northern Ute: Uintah & Ouray; Post Office Box 190; Fort Duchesne UT 84026
- (435) 722-5141
Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah Tribal Council: 600 North 100 East Paiute Drive; Cedar City UT 84720
- (801) 586-1112
Skull Valley: P.O. Box 150; Grantsville UT 84029
- (801) 931-6126
Popular Attractions and Jobs in Utah
Dinosaur National Monument Park
This popular natural attraction provides 10,000 years of dinosaur history in the local fossil record. This, along with additional parks in the state offered over 500 jobs in mid-August 2017. Positions include healthcare staff as well as recreational and instructional staff, program managers, and dining/accommodations professionals. One popular job is the ski school and snow board instructor.
The cliff face of the Dinosaur Quarry in this park features over 1,500 dinosaur bone fossils embedded in it in the side of a mountain. A virtual tour is available online.
The Fremont Indian Tribes lived in Dinosaur National Monument Park since as along ago as 800 to 1,200 in the past, followed by the Ute and Shoshone Nations, whose descendants still live there today.
The newest national park identified in 2016 was beautiful Bears Ears National Monument, where many Native Americans live. It is a popular place to visit, although steeped in controversy ever since the Trump Administration (2017 - 2021) decided to attempt to revoke its recognition and extract its resources for profits.
The Ute and Shoshonoe peoples still live here today.
Higher Education in Utah
This state maintains many colleges and universities, where useful degrees and certificates are available to students, along with concerted efforts to place them in well paying jobs in Utah or out of state.
From 2010 through 2020, several applied technology schools have gained interest and increased students.
- Ameritech College of Healthcare in Draper, Utah.
- Art Institute of Salt Lake City in Draper.
- Brigham Young University: Provo, Utah. This famous institution is also the largest employer in the State of Utah, hiring faculty, administrative, research, and clerical staff. The Cedartree Memorial Pow Wow is an annual event held at the end of March on this university campus, admission free to its students.
- Bridgerland Applied Technology College in Logan.
- Broadview Entertainment Arts University - BEAU in Salt Lake City.
- Broadview University in West Jordan.
- College of Eastern Utah: Price
- Davis Applied Technology School in Kaysville.
- Dixie State College: St. George
- George Wythe College: Cedar City
- Jon M. Huntsman School in Logan.
- LDS Business College: Salt Lake City. www.ldsbc.edu/
- Midwives College of Utah in Salt Lake City.
- Mountainland Applied Technology School in Orem.
- Neumont University: South Jordan, Utah
- Ogden-Weber Technology School
- Rocky Mountain University in Provo.
- Salt Lake Community College: Redwood, South City, Jordan, and Miller, plus satellite campuses
- Snow College: Ephraim, Utah
- Southern Utah University: Cedar City, founded 1898. www.suu.edu/
- Unitah Basin Applied Technology College in Roosevelt.
- University of Utah: Salt Lake City
- Utah College of Applied Technology
- Utah State University: Logan
- Utah Valley State College: Orem. www.uvu.edu/
- Weber State University: Ogden
- Western Governors University in Salt Lake.
- Westminster College: Salt Lake City
© 2007 Patty Inglish