Development of Leadership Qualities: Styles of a Good Leader in an Organization
What is Leadership?
Leadership is the ability to lead followers to perform and complete a task. In order to effectively accomplish a task, a leader must provide a clear goal, ensure followers of credibility through actions, communicate the steps necessary to complete goals, provide motivation, ensure sincerity and demonstrate guidance. If those that follow the leader lack confidence in their leader's credibility they will lose vision and motivation.
A List of Leadership Traits
Qualities of a Great Leader:
- Analyzes Perspectives
- Has Convictions
- Delegates with Respect
- Recognizes Accomplishments
Best Leadership Styles:
A good leader understands the workings of the organization and the importance and purpose of the product or service provided.
- Provides effective training and encouragement for the production of the product or delivery of the service.
- Understands the process required to complete expected tasks within the organization.
Dan Pink: The Puzzle of Motivation
A Leader Communicates Effectively
A good leader motivates the masses through effective communication. Followers need to be inspired through words as well as actions. Communication is not only verbal, it is provided through actions and modeling of behavior and expectations.
- Provides clear goals and expectations.
- Motivates the accomplishment of the goal by providing purpose and vision.
- Promotes accountability and ownership of responsibilities.
- Encourages teamwork and camaraderie.
- Evokes trust and shows empathy of the challenges faced.
- Emphasizes mutual respect and integrity within all levels of the organization.
A good leader is trusted to lead, guide and support the multiple needs of the organization for the benefit of long term success and growth of all team members.
- Trusted leaders nurture the drive and motivation of the organization.
- A lack of trust hampers the inspiration of followers to succeed.
- Trust promotes a sincere vision for the organization.
A good leader understands the perspectives of key members within the organization and reacts accordingly. An open and clear mind will help maintain clarity when assessing goals and accomplishments. A good leader will adjust to the needs of the organization without losing sight of the initial goal.
- Remains focused on goals but is aware of concerns.
- Intuitive to the trends that may affect the organization and the product.
Steven Johnson: Where Good Ideas Come From
A good leader develops plans and strategies that adapt to the needs of the organization while initiating growth and development.
- Maintains awareness of the training and development needed to compete with the competition.
- Stays up to date with advances in technology and related products.
A good leader believes in the vision of the organization and of the goals set forth for subordinates.
- Bounces back quickly from set-backs and redirects the focus of the organization as needed.
- Provides encouragement and direction when subordinates lose sight of expectations.
A good leader asks questions and is curious if subordinates are on board with the direction that is being given or taken.
- Analyzes productivity and seeks out areas that require improvement.
- Recognizes both the milestones and the conflicts faced in reaching those accomplishments.
A good leader can adapt and guide the organization through detours and delays.
- Can move quickly to resolve conflicts.
- Effectively redirects subordinates that lose focus.
Delegates with Respect
It is not uncommon for a leader to delegate various tasks within an organization. After all, a leader must keep things running smoothly. Delegations should be handled with respect and dignity. If a leader delegates without respect, you are in danger of losing inspiration, drive and convictions from your subordinates. Respectfully connecting with your team and maintaining convictions is key in the success of the organization.
A good leader recognizes the accomplishments of team members. Whether the goals are small or large each process is an important step toward overall success. Team players that are recognized and encouraged will usually maintain a mutual vision and goal with their leader.
Leadership books on Amazon
Success in leadership is accomplished in the connections we make with our team and various subordinates. It is the qualities of a leader that will determine if those connections will be attained. A good leader will lead by example, will guide through communication and will sustain followers with steadfast respect, drive, flexibility and integrity.
Consider the various qualities identified above as a standard for you to develop your growth as a leader and as the building blocks for effectively developing your organization.
Simon Sinek: How Great Leaders Inspire Action
Inspirational and Motivational Leadership Quotes
© 2012 Marisa Hammond Olivares