Looking for Jobs – Desperate Times require Desperate Measures
The usual way of job searching is to go to the Job Centre, search Newspapers or online for Recruitment Agency Ads etc. Thousands of people do this for months and still don’t find employment. Annoyingly, some companies don’t even bother acknowledging Job applications. It then gets to the point when people get so behind with Bills, the Mortgage/rent is in arrears and they are swimming in Debt. It’s even worse if they have kids. These are Desperate times and I think we might need Desperate Measures. Anyone in this situation might want to consider the following:
Send your CV to a company
Send it with a cover letter even though they haven’t advertised. Some will acknowledge it, keep it on file and might call you back weeks/months later, when you least expect and even offer you a job. What you don’t know is you saved them the time/cost of advertising, short listing, interviewing lots of people etc.
Place Free Ads
Use Free Websites to place an Ad. Write the type of Job you are looking for or the type of Service you offer. People will call and hire you. It might take off on a small scale but if you are good – they will refer you to others and before you know it, you are a busy bee.
Approach people personally
Don’t be afraid to do this. You could walk into a company and politely ask for the Manager. Also, ensure you are dressed smartly for a good response. (It sounds strange, but remember – Desperate Times / Desperate Measures). Ask the Manager if there are any vacancies. Whatever the case, they will politely inform you, or refer you to their website, or even give you other useful info etc. When I worked with Asylum seekers in 2001, some of them wanted Jobs. I took them to shops in my spare time and I’d ask the manager if they had any jobs going. Some did the above, some gave us application forms.
T D Jakes (from America)
IGOC Seminar (London)
In 2005, I was out of work for a few months and attended KICC IGOC. International Gathering of Champions. It was a Christian seminar in London and we even had TD Jakes in the house. The venue was massive and there were little Stands given to Business people who wanted to market their business at the venue. During break, a lady handed out leaflets about FREE IT Training –she gave me one. I asked her to point me in the direction of where her Stand was. The leaflet was for people to learn about computers. I went to the Stand, met the owner and told him I was an IT Trainer and asked if he needed anyone to help with the Training. We talked a bit and he asked me to attend an interview in a few days time. I attended and he offered me a job. I worked with that company for 2 Years.
Create your own Job
OK. So no one is hiring – Think of something you can do. I covered this in detail in: Lots of ways to Create a second Job/income
For anyone thinking – "Oh my God, where do I start?"
It’s not a lot of money to set up. In the UK, its free to set up a one man business. This is what your to-do list will look like.
- Name of the Business – Think of a good unique one.
- Business Bank Account – Apply for Free. (Cheque book/pay in book, card will arrive with your Business name printed on) Ps. You don’t need a Business Plan to apply for a Business Account.
- Business Cards – cost under £20 for may be 250 – 500 for a start. (Vistaprint is one of many)
- Letter Heads – if you can’t afford one for now, design on Microsoft Word and maybe print in Coloured.
- You need a Computer and a Printer.
- Email Address - If you can afford to, its about £25/year to have one in your business name, other wise use googlemail or yahoo. Ps. People take you more seriously if its in your business name.
- Create an Invoice – if you are not good with computers, buy a pre printed one.
- Use a FREE Website, submit it to Search Engines.
- Advertise on the Internet for free and include link of your website.
- Search for people who need your service and do a Mail Shot to them.
Search the internet for FREE Government Schemes that help people with small Businesses. Business Link is very useful and supportive. E.g, if you need a Business loan, they will help you put your Business Plan together.
Ps. You will have to do yearly accounts for your Business, but you will find it easy if you keep records of everything you do in Business financially and might not have to use an Accountant.
For anyone not working, I really hope you found this Useful. Feel free to ask me questions as I have used the Measures above. Some people lose their families, houses or other things due to being unemployed. Sadly, some even go Bankrupt.
** Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures. **
Making money online...
- Writing Online Who wants to make money online no...
You can and will definitely make money online but, dont expect a substantial amount immediately. Useful Tips to building an income online.