- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Manhattan - Largest Number Of Job Openings
When you look across the United States for employment opportunities in nationwide job search engines, the most job listings are always in NYC, largely Manhattan, followed by cities in Texas. Now, this large number includes many listings in green jobs and sustainability industries.
Success In New York CityClick thumbnail to view full-size
The Personality of Manhattan
Because NYC has dedicated resources to building and maintaining parks within all five of its boroughs with nearly 30% of its total land, the city is known as the Greenest Big City in America. Manhattan is a large borough that is home to the famous Central Park with its Central Park Zoo and acres of trees, grasses, and flowers.
Manhattan is a densely populated borough of New York City with a vital waterfront sector as well as its extensive parks. The West Side of Manhattan has undertaken "going green" in a much larger way than the remainder of the borough, resulting in the creation of many green collar jobs in that region.
If you look at the map below, you will see that the western portion of the borough contains the Upper West Side as well a portion of Midtown, Chelsea, West Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca and Battery Park City. All of these areas front the water of the Hudson river and offer city parks.
Over the last year (January - December 2014), job postings on Indeed.com in Manhattan, NY have increased by 145% relative to a national decline of 32%.— Indeed Job Search
Reference Map of Manhattan
- Fun Places To Visit In New York City
If you want to have some fun in New York City, there is a particular delicatessen you should visit.
- Greatest Neighborhoods In America - Park Slope, Brooklyn
Park Slope may be perfect, with dozens of attractions within a few square walkable blocks - from banks to groceries to museums and libraries, a zoo, an Iron Chef and a Superheroes Store. Fantastic!
The Greening of Manhattan
Energy efficient construction is likely to continue to offer high demand jobs in the commercial and residential sectors as lands are developed and older buildings rehabilitated or replaced.
Several organizations that are interested in the waterfront of Manhattan work toward conservation of resources in the area and the promotion of green businesses and sustainable resources that include clean energy. Some of these organizations include:
Business news in green and sustainable energy companies can be located at this link to the Gotham Gazette, which gives the highlights daily of the online newspapers for all of Manhattan's neighborhoods.
Greenways Increasing in the City
Manhattan maintains the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway along the Hudson River as part of the larger NYC waterways, open spaces, and greenways initiative and encourages cycling as a means of transportation in Manhattan and other boroughs.
An anchor point for the greenways initiative in NYC is Central Park in Manhattan with over 840 acres, along with many small neighborhood parks.
Jobs are increasing in all the business related to this green living project throughout this borough. Manhattan is improving the waterfront with energy efficient construction and moving in new green businesses, establishing additional public piers and recreation areas, expanding existing commercial and residential areas, and continuing its urban renewal projects with a new greener approach.
Floating Farm Markets Are Successful
- Vermont to Manhattan - Floating Farm Market For Sustainability
From the UK, London's Thames Sailing Barges provide the pattern for the US East Coast's sustainable shipments of local farmers' products from Lake Champlain down the Lower Hudson to Manhattan. Pop up markets still thrive annually since 2013.
Manhattan Waterfront Greenway Carrie Floating Farm Markets
150,000 Jobs Advertised
During September 2015 through April 2016, Manhattan job listings across the Internet stood at approximately 150,000 or more on any day.
Top 15 Job Advertisers in 2015 - 2016
- NYU Langone Medical Center
- New York Presbyterian Hospital
- McKinsey - Highly responsible IT positions, including management.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital
- Cornell University
- CyberCoders - IT and Accounting.
- Duane Reade Inc. Retail sales, drugstore
- FCB Global - This is a giant advertising and marketing firm with jobs available in many categories..
- Viacom - Telecommunications, other.
- The New York Public Library
- Hospital For Special Surgery
- PVH Corp. - Design, production and sales of dress shirts, sportswear, neck-wear, footwear, and accessories.
- CVS Caremark - Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technicians, Retail Salespeople
- Yeshiva University
- SMBC Group - Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation - Worldwide financial business, including many offices in America, one site in Moscow, Russian Federation; and very big in the Asia-Pacific Region.
Consistent High Demand Jobs
Many of the above employers offer job titles found in the official forecast of high demand jobs listed below. These companies will likely continue to offer high demand jobs in current job titles and in new occupations of the near future.
Top 10 Jobs Forecast by Local, State and Federal Agencies
Most construction jobs have been forecasted to increase by thousands of new positions through 2020. This estimation is based largely on a $20 million investment made in West Side Manhattan across to Ground Zero of the former World Trade Center site.
Construction projects include rebuilding efforts put into action after hurricanes and flooding seen in the early 2010s, as well as destruction of the area around the World Trade Center a decade previously. New non-disaster related construction projects are added to the forecasting as well.
High Demand Jobs Forecasted:
- Construction Supervisors
- Project Managers
- Construction Contractors
- Contractor Supervisors
- Crane Operators
- Construction and Civil Engineers
- Construction & Landscape Designers and Architects
- General Laborers
- & .10 - Transit Workers of various titles
- Computer Engineers are also in high demand in Manhattan (still are in 2011).
- Find apprenticeship programs and a long list of projects at Lower Manhattan Development Corporation at http://www.renewnyc.com/
Outside of Construction and Transit, these positions will be in high demand long-term:
- Retail Salespeople
- Registered Nurses [RNs] - Including high-paid Travel Nurses - see HubPages on Travel Nursing Opportunities and Benefits
- Home Health Aides
- Child Care Workers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids
- Office Clerks,
- Sales Reps, Wholesale and Manufacturing
- Food Preparation Workers
- Teacher's Assistants
Most Highly Demanded Workers In Job Listings 2015
- Salespeople, Sales Managers, Sales Supervisors
- Financial Services jobs - Analysts, Project Managers, Accountants
- CDL-licensed Truck Drivers and Owner Operators - About 10,000 jobs
- IT Engineers
- RN Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Travel Nurses
- Manufacturing and Electrical Engineers
- Physical, Occupational, and Medical Assistants
- Wedding and Event Planners
- A & P company and other grocery jobs
- Nannies, babysitters, house sitters, HHAs, non-medical companions, Personal Care Assistants, etc.
Another high-demand industry sector includes dining from fine dining to fast food outfits and coffee shops.
Manhattan SightsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Companies Hiring the Most Workers
- USA Truck
- CRSt Trucking, all divisions
- Thumbtack - Personal enrichment and movement arts instructors.
- JP Morgan Chase
- Ameriplan - Healthcare insurance coverage
- Financial Services Companies
- Michael Page Employment
- Citi - Bank/Financial
- North Shore Iij Health. North Shore University Hospital
- Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Ernst & Young
- US Navy Reserve
2014 - 2016 Job Surge in the Following Positions:
- Project Managers - IT and Business
- Sales Representatives and Energy Brokers
- Business Analysts
- Occupational Therapists
- Shift Supervisors - various businesses and industry sectors.
- Physical Therapists
- Account Executives
- Executive Assistants
- Java Developers (Software Engineering specialty)
- Medical Clerks
- Registered Nurses (RNs and Nurse Practitioners)
- Retail Salespeople
- Financial Analysts
- Administrative Assistants
- Postdoctoral Fellows in Medicine
These are High Demand Jobs out of nearly 360,000 positions listed for New York City across all Internet job-listing sites.
Additional Job Listings
Hearst Tower - Steel of 90% Recycled Materials
Manhattan Area Sports and Attractions
- New York Rangers Hockey Club
- New Jersey Nets Basketball
- New York Knicks Basketball - Madison Square Garden
- New York Liberty - WNBA
- New York Titan - Lacrosse.
SOME LOCAL TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- Central Park Zoo - Located at 64th St and 5th Ave, New York, NY 10021. In the 1980s, I saw the second Smokey the Bear here.
- Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum - Home of one of the retired US Space Shuttles.Pier 86, W 46th St & 12th Ave, New York, NY 10036
- Lower East Side Tenement Museum - National Historic Site at 97 Orchard Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan. This museum offers guided tours only and involved restored tenement houses used by the Irish and other immigrants. Living history actors portray early US immigrants living in the tenements. Half a dozen different tours are offered, along with special programs and evening lectures.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art - 1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028
- Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center - 30 Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY 10023
- Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) - 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019
Lower East Side Tenement Museum
Local Colleges & Universities
- Baruch College
- Berkeley College
- Barnard College
- Boricua College
- Borough of Manhattan Community College
- Columbia University
- Fordham University
- General Theological Seminary
- Hebrew Union College
- Hunter College
- John Jay College
- Manhattan Area Technical College
- Mannes College the New School for Music
- Marymount Manhattan College
- Metropolitan College of NY
- New School of General Studies
- New York Bartending School
- New York Law School
- New York University Medical Center and Law School
- Pace University New York Campus
- TCI College
- The City College of New York (CUNY)
- Yeshiva University
© 2008 Patty Inglish