- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Best Jobs and Activities in Medford, Oregon
Great Cities Along Bear Creek
Medford is an anchor city in the Medford-Ashland Metro Area of Southwestern Oregon. It serves as an economic and medical services hub for both Southern Oregon and Northern California. The area features fruit orchards, shopping malls, skateboarding, firespinning, and pow wows in addition to successful businesses and plenty of jobs.
The area features the large Rogue Valley Mall, with a cultural and theater complex in Ashland. Several natural attractions are nearby, along with a group of entertaining festivals, historic districts, and sports events.
As the Oregon and California Railroad was built out to this area, the town site was chosen by the railroad for a city along Bear Creek in 1884. Thereafter, the city became a hub of commerce and transportation for the timber and agriculture industries. Peaches, pears, and grapes have been a long-term foundation of the fruit trade in this area; joined by timber in the early days and to a lesser extent today.
Medford, Southern Oregon
About 20 miles to the southeast of Medford, Ashland OR was named after the counties of Ashland in Ohio and Kentucky, where founders of the Oregon city had left family members to travel west.
Agriculture was a mainstay of initial local business, with the town's orchards bringing international recognition, especially the Ashland Peach that garnered honors at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Agriculture trade in Ashland depended upon the railroad for distribution as it did in Medford and both cities benefited from the booming railroad era at its height.
With approximately 22,000 residents today, Ashland is the home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
The Commons in Medford
The Commons is an ongoing revitalization project in the downtown urban center of Medford that is increasing the city's economic strength with new businesses and jobs. Public parking and recreation opportunities are also expanding, with overall project plans extending to the year 2017.
In relation to this revitalization, Vogal Plaza has become the center for several events, including the Art in Bloom Festival held near Mother's Day annually. The Pear Blossom Run is held around nearby Alba Park, across from city hall. The Taste of History celebration is held in the Downtown area each June.
Evergreen Mixed Use Project
Green building and construction methods for sustainability have become a part of the Downtown revitalization project. All this includes street and sidewalks, parkways, fencing, new businesses, and re-builds.
Alternative Energy Sources
Greenberry Industrial Mechanical Contractor - Medford projects include structural/mechanical work in industrial constructions such as boiler making, heavy rigging, millwright and equipment setting, pipe fitting, and steel. Partnering with Medford in alternative energy production, this company is supplying the construction management, fabrication, and field services required.
Top 10 Jobs for 2008 - 2018
- Teaching and Teachers' Assistant work in mainstream classrooms at nearly all levels of the school system. These positions cover the full gamut od education from K-12 to community college and vocational schools.
- Healthcare is another local high demand job field, particularly for Registered Nurses (RNs).
- Tourism is also a healthy part of the local economy, with residents from Northern California, Northern Oregon, Washington, and elsewhere regularly traveling into the area to shop and visit.
High Demand Jobs in the Medford-Ashland Area
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Operations Managers and General Managers
- Auditing and Bookkeeping Clerks
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
- College-Level and Vocational Teachers and Instructors
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Retails Sales Persons and Supervisors
- Heavy- and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- All Food and Beverage Preparation and Service jobs
Additional high demand jobs include:
- Teachers' Assistants
- General Clerks and Attendants
- Licensed Real Estate Agents
Largest Area Employers
- Harry and David Operations: Well known fruit and vegetable growers & shippers.
- Rogue Valley Medical Center & Asante Health System
- Jackson County Government
- Medford School District
- Boise Cascade Corp. - Paper products and office supplies.
- Cascade Wood Products
- Providence Medford Medical Center
Harry and David Direct Mail Order
It all began with pears and became the largest company in Medford.
Harry and David started with a 240 acre pear orchard at the turn of the 20th century. Company owners began a direct mail order fruit business and followed with high end gift baskets of fruits, jellies, and related items. Their Fruit-of-the-Month-Club offerings are famous throughout the world.
The "H & D Green Promise" is a company project that has eliminated many tons of a paper catalogues via Internet ordering lines. They participated in financing the Jackson County Expo Solar Energy Project and others. Further, they recycle from 50 - 99% of their waste materials, depending upon the type of material. H & D has won awards for is presentations entitled "Sustainability - It's Just Good Business!"
The company regularly employees a staff of 1,700+, but requires around 6,500 seasonal workers every year.
Educational Opportunities For Jobs
- Abdill Career College Inc - Medical Assistant training and other vocational programs.
- Pacific Bible College
- Rogue Community College
- Southern Oregon University - Located in Ashland
- Siskiyou Bible College
- Oregon Institute of Aesthetics;2 425 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland, OR 97520. Schools are located in Medford, Ashland, and Talent Oregon. Recognized by the Oregon Department of Education, this system offers part-time study programs that allow students to graduate in 5 months and meet all requirements for Oregon State Board licensing exams to become an aestheticism. Instruction is in a small clinical setting and covers skin care, skin disorders, glycolic peels, facial massage, spa services, and business acumen. Classes are limited to 14 students each, with much instructor attention.
Things To Do And See
El Circo - Firespinning Troupe from Ashland OR
Medford Skate Park
Sports and Recreation
Southern Oregon University - Spring Pow Wow
© 2008 Patty Inglish