- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs
Business Cards That Are Mini Resumes
More Than a Business Card
A JIST Card or Mini Resume Is a Handy Job Search Tool At All Times
A JIST Card is a combination of a RESUME and a BUSINESS CARD that fits onto a 3" by 5" card.
As you will see below, the JIST Card is just 3" x 5" in size, but contains enough information about you to interest prospective employers in contacting you for a copy of your resume and an interview. it does all of this in just 30 SECONDS!
The term JIST comes the Indiana-based company known as JIST Publishing, Inc. , the company that first invented the use of these mini-resume cards. JIST means Job Information and Seeking Training. One of their authors, Michael Farr, has written extensively on the topic of job search, including JIST Cards.
Here is a resume. A mini resume will include less information.
The most important information about your work belongs on your mini resume or JIST job-search card.
What Should I Place On My JIST Card?
Important information that you should include on your mini resume or JIST job-search card:
- Full Name (refrain from using nicknames, please)
- Area Code and Telephone number (If you live in a large city like mine, you have to dial the area code even for a local call!)
- Cell phone number (include the area code)
- Fax number, if you have one
- Email address (use a professional sounding name)
- Web Page URL, if you have one and it is a professional looking page.
- Indicate the best way to reach you FAST! Place the best phone number or your Email address in bold print.
State EXACTLY what kind of job or internship you want, as specifically as possible.
Add Your Important Skills To a Mini ResumeClick thumbnail to view full-size
You cannot squeeze everything you know how to do onto a small card. Be specific and selective.
You cannot squeeze everything you know how to do onto a small card.
List any of your skills and talents that most specifically show you are qualified for your stated Job Objective. Use NUMBERS to prove this information, such as number of sales awards you have won, percentages of increase in sales you achieved for a company, dollar amounts you saved your company in costs, number of new clients you brought on board, etc. Numbers and percentages are important from the bottom to the top of the world of Business and Employment.
List special awards and outstanding achievements you have made on the job under this heading.
Work Related Personal Assets.
These are personal qualities and specific traits that lead you to success above the achievements of other workers in your field. These assets should be about your job and volunteer work - It is all about how you do a better-than-average job in a big world.
Resume + Business Card = JIST Card
Create Your Own Mini Resumes Easily
Remember to carry a supply of your JIST cards with you at all times.
- Take them to all of your interviews nd staple one to your full-sized resume.
- Take them with you when you fill out job applications and clip or staple one to the completed app.
- Take them to Job Fairs and hand them out.
- Use one as a reference note card during interviews.
- Give them to your relatives to pass on to potential employers.
- Give some to friends to pass on for you.
- Attach them to your resume and any applications you distribute or fill out in order to catch the interviewer's eye with a quick summary. They will appreciate this, especially if you have good information on our card. It will give you an advantage over applicants that don't know about JIST cards!
- Enclose them in thank you notes you send to interviewers and employers after your interviews to remind them how valuable an employee you will be to them.
- Send your JIST Card as a digital photo or in the body of emails you send and ask others to send it on to anyone they know that could help you in your job search.
- Display it at home and in your car as an affirmation to your good character and skills, and to memorize it fully so that the words will come out immediately. You could even frame it and place it on the wall!