- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
My PC Backup
Backup to Cloud
Don’t just BACKUP to your drives, but backup Your Important Data to the Cloud!
We now live in an age where PC computers are deep rooted in our everyday life. Computers have become an integral part of our daily life. We store our songs, movies, documents, pictures and music on our computers but can we take for granted that they will remain there for ever. Have we thought of what if the computers crash or some mishap occurs; what are the options for us to protect our important information and memories in such a case?
Keep data files separately from program files
We have to differentiate between program files and data files. Data files are files we create or modify by using the software programs. On program files, I mean the software programs or system files for your PC to operate and to create and manage the data files you create. I always recommend clients to organize data files on separate places from their other program files as soon as they acquire their new PC computers.
How can we lose data?
Many things can cause a PC to lose our valuable data files; breakdowns due to normal wear and tear, power surges, file corruption, computer theft, food spillage on keyboards, and a whole host of other reasons. Just a small power surge can fry our computer components. Then all our valuable saved songs, movies, pictures, photos and files will be things of the past. Also, viruses downloaded through the internet or any external sources like USB’s, small drives, CDs, and etc. can cause damage to our computer files, rendering our data files useless. The reality is that data on our PC computers is not 100% safe. We can lose everything in just split second. Therefore, we must conscientiously back up our PC data.
What are the backup options?
1. Use local storage devices - Most popular one is using your local devices like external drives or USBs or some storage medium. You can just plug them in and they behave like a normal hard drive where you can back up your data. Nonetheless, these devices are prone to normal tear and wear, power surges, viruses and mishaps described above.
2. Use CD/DVD burners - You can install CD/DVD burner and purchase suitable software to create CDs or DVDs for backing up your data. But bear in mind these CDs or DVDs are also prone to scratches or any inappropriate handling which may again cause damage to the data.
3. Backup to cloud - Now it remains one excellent and fuss-free option for safe and secure data backup is cloud. The concept relies on Internet access. The idea behind cloud data backup is a mirror image of the data files you wish to backup are kept on remote computer system(s).
a) Data is safe. That computer system is usually kept a facility designed specifically for backup purposes. Their computers are usually run on uninterrupted power supply (UPS). That facility is completely fire proof and they may also have another facility or computer systems duplicating the backup. They specially design and incur costs and create systems to ensure the integrity of your data regardless of any failure on your end. We should however be sure that the company we use for our data backup is a stable and reliable company.
b) Save time and money. With just a few mouse clicks, you can upload your data daily. And if you have employees, you would save even more time on backup to cloud as they can carry out the backup by a few mouse clicks instead of waiting for the backup time to complete. Using this option you also save a lot on your hardware or backup software fees. You do not have to purchase any USB hard drives, wired or wireless hard drives, flash disks, etc. for backup purpose.
c) Accessibility – Here is the best part; your files in cloud storage are accessible from your computers, tablets, any browser or smartphones or any mobile devices as long as you have internet access. You can access your files while vacationing in the beaches of Hawaii or anywhere in the world where you have access to the internet. This is great for travellers or people who are always on the move. And it is also excellent if you need to share files with clients and friends worldwide.
There are many major companies offering cloud storage backup services; e.g. Amazon S3, MyPCBackup, Apple iCloud, Egnyte, Dropbox, SugarSync, Microsoft SkyDrive or Google Drive and etc.
For a more complete list you can review at Wikipedia, using the word "comparison of online services".
Which one suits us?
This will be our next topic, the right choice of cloud storage backup companies. Your choice depends on factors like:
- Storage amount
- Backup company reputation
- Ease of access and restoration