ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

NVOCC: Definition and Federal Maritime Commission License

Updated on January 25, 2012

NVOCC refers to a Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier. It is one type of ocean transportation intermediary that requires a federal license to operate in the United States.

An ocean transportation intermediary is either an NVOCC or an ocean freight forwarder. In essence, it is a company that makes arrangements for or handles services related to the services of a vessel-operating common carrier (cargo shipper).

The Code of Federal Regulations lays out the definition of a common carrier and an NVOCC. Generally, a common carrier is a company that offers either passenger or cargo water transportation (for profit) who also operates the vessels (ships or boats) between the U.S. and a foreign country.

Conversely, an NVOCC company does not actually own the vessel (ship or boat) used to provide the transportation services. Also, the Code says that NVOCC services apply only to cargo. Passengers are not included in the definition of NVOCC services.

The Federal Maritime Commission also includes several examples of what constitute the services of an NVOCC. These include such things as buying the services and then reselling them to the shipping customers, arranging inland transportation of the cargo in relation to international shipping, and even leasing containers.

Essentially, just about any provider of services who directly takes money from customers for services ancillary to international freight shipping probably needs to get an NVOCC license from the Federal Maritime Commission. When in doubt, contact the FMC and explain your entire business model to see if you need a license. Contact information is included below.

Exceptions: Businesses dealing only with ferry boats, ocean tramps, or chemical parcel-tankers are not considered to be ocean common carriers. Thus, if an NVOCC only deals with such transportation companies, it would not necessarily need a license. Nonetheless, if qualified, an individual should get a license to increase the profit potential of the NVOCC company.

License requirements dictate that at least one person in the company must have 3 years of experience as an ocean transportation intermediary. That person must also have the "necessary character" to get an NVOCC license. This essentially means someone who has shown financial responsibility in the past and does not have a criminal or other legal record which the Commission believes makes the person unfit for NVOCC services.

All applicants for an NVOCC license also need to provide a bond, insurance, or other surety. In the case of a U.S. NVOCC, the general amount of responsibility required is $75,000. For foreign NVOCC companies, it is $150,000. Depending on the situation, this amount could be higher. Use the contact information below to get an NVOCC license application form.

Federal Maritime Commission
Bureau of Tariffs, Certification and Licensing
800 North Capitol Street, NW
Washington, DC 20573
(202) 523-5843


Federal Maritime Commission Rules in the Code of Federal Regulations


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)