Resolutions, Promises and Targets: How to Succeed in Achieving your Goals?
Resolutions and promises : Why to make them, if we can’t keep them?
Are you one of those, who enthusiastically, makes resolutions and promises, on every new year eve. But within a week or fortnight, all the excitement and enthusiasm is gone and lost.
Making some resolutions enthusiastically, on the eve of the new year, is a common practice. But it is observed that generally, by the 15th of January, life becomes just as usual, as it was fifteen days back.
The question is, why do we make resolutions, if we can not keep them?
In other words, we break our resolunions, so easily and so soon. There can be many reasons for this.
First of all, let us have a look, at some common resolutions for the new year, which generally people promise to themselves.
Let our New Year's resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word.
Some common New Year Resolutions are listed below.
- I will get up early in the morning. No late nights!
- Early to bed, and early to rise, will make me healthy, wealthy, and wise. Sounds so motivating!
- I will go for the morning and the evening walks everyday, without fail.
- I will shed all those extra pounds, by doing the proper exercises. I will definitely follow, a healthy and positive lifestyle.
- I will keep my bookshelf, wardrobe, study table, office, kitchen etc. etc. always clean and tidy.
- I will always reach my office in time. No more excuses, of getting stuck up in the traffic.
- I will try to do away, with all the negative thoughts of the past and sincerely work to achieve a happy and promising future.
- Quit smoking or quit anything addictive.
- I will be nice and would not indulge in arguments, with my husband/ wife, boyfriend/ girlfriend, boss, friends/ family and so on.
- I will eat healthy and snack with apple/ other fruits, rather than ice cream, Nuts instead of oily snacks etc.
Why do we make new year resolutions, if we ultimately break them?
- Over enthusiasm and over commitment, can be one of the reasons, why most of the people break their resolutions so easily and so soon.
- The problem to remain motivated, for a longer time.
- People who make resolutions are not answerable and accountable to anyone.
- Any task without a target, within a specified time, loses it’s purpose and the sincerity of the participants.
If it so happens, what can be done to achieve the new year resolutions and turn them into successful endeavors?
How to remain motivated and stick to your resolutions?
- Make practical resolutions, which can be easily followed and achieved.
- Do not make more than one or two resolutions, and stick to them.
- Give prior thought, about whether you would be able to give your 100% for the success of your resolution.
- It is helpful, if you share your goal with a friend or a family member. So that, if any one falters, the other person can motivate or remind, for continuation of the resolution.
- Always keep in mind, 'why' you have taken up the resolution and the 'end' result.
- Do not lose heart with small slips and misses. Concentrate on the goal.
- Remain motivated, by trying new creative ideas.
- Set targets and note your achievements in writing. You can keep a small notebook or something handy, to help you as a reminder.
- Every small achievement, should be appreciated. Keep yourself surrounded by people, who can appreciate your efforts genuinely.
- Remember, that every success, starts with baby steps. Keep up your hard work and patience.
How to keep your new year resolutions, source: YouTube
Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.
Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
-----Ralph Waldo Emerson
To Sum Up:
I have seen some people, who kept their resolutions and achieved success, in their resolve. So, what different did they do?
They broke their goal into smaller achievable steps, and then they rewarded themselves, when they achieved success in one of them.
.They also shared their new year resolutions, with their family and friends.
They focused on the benefits of their success, and noted their progress, in a diary.
You can not imagine, how motivating it is, to see the progress day by day, if you are noting it down.
Therefore, go ahead and make some realistic, practical and sincere resolutions and stick to them.
Do you make New Year Resolutions and follow them sincerely?
Beautiful video about Resolutions, source: You tube
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan