New York City Recovery Zones For Coney Island And Hudson Yards
The Thunderbolt, 1995
Job Listings Quadrupled in NYC in Four Years
On July 1, 2009, 134,000 jobs were listed on all Internet job related sites for New York City and its 5 Burroughs. By the end of November 2013, this number had increased to over 434,500 advertised positions. In May-June 2015, the number of listings held stead at 420,000+ openings and the Hudson Yards Project on the West Side of Manhattan began to produce new jobs.
Under the NYC recovery projects, the number of rides at Coney Island - already in a Business Enterprise Zone for development - also increased. Four new rides, including the first new coaster since the 1920s, opened in May 2011. Attendance at the amusement park through 2015 has remained higher than previously.
Recovery Zone Offices
100th Anniversary of the Coney Island Dreamland Fire
- Is Coney Island Becoming "Disaster Park" by Mark J. Konkel; A Dark Ride
If you like science fiction, futurist literature and film, and horror ...
- The Cosmorama of the 1911 Fire
Before September 11, 2001, the biggest fire in New York City's history took place at Coney Island; it took the lives of countless animals and created millions of dollars in damaged property; and it has been erased from the public's memory.
- Luna Park at Coney Island - A Tribute to Light
Public domain. Detroit Publishing Co., 1905. There is an aura of fascination around Luna Park. At the beginning of the 20th Century it was simply so ELECTRIC! Over 100,000 tiny electric lights illuminated the...
Old and New Coney Island ParksClick thumbnail to view full-size
New Recovery Zone Established 2013
New York City leaders opened a new Business Recovery Zone to help small businesses harmed by the by the superstorm Hurricane Sandy.
Recovery Zone leaders have mapped out specific needs in each affected neighborhood. The major neighborhoods in the new Recovery Zone include:
- NYC -- Lower Manhattan/South Street Seaport
- Brooklyn Harbor Waterfront/Newtown Creek, including DUMBO, Greenpoint, Red Hook, Gowanus, Sunset Park
- South Brooklyn, including Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Sheepshead Bay and Gerritsen Beach. This includes the original Coney Island recovery zone, damaged by Superstorm Sandy.
- South Queens, including Howard Beach and The Rockaways
- South Shore of Staten Island
Services For Veterans
Companies Listing the Most Jobs
- JP Morgan Chase
- Bank Of America
- Ernst and Young
- C.R. England - Trucking and Transport
- Cross Country TravelCorps
- Morgan Stanley
- Robert Half Finance & Accounting
- Columbia University
- Montefiore Medical Center
- American Express
New High Demand Jobs
- Project Mangers
- Sales Representatives
- Business Analysts
- Account Executives - Business Loan Officers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Java Developers
- Executive Assistants
- Dental Assistants
- Administrative Assistants
- Lab Technicians
- Senior Accountants
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Advisors
- Police Cadets
Hudson Yards Construction Project is Large, 2015 - 2025
Coney Island and Other Construction Jobs
The NY Recovery Zone Facility Bond Program will give Financial Aid of a sort to Business and Industry, much of it in cost reduction incentives like triple-tax-exemptions. Any related projects that do not qualify for traditional standard business financing because of the Recession of 2008 - 2010 can receive these funds. This could include severak office buildings, industrial plants, and retail shopping centers.
The overseer of the Recovery Zone is the NYC Economic Development Corporation (EDC), which will administer ever $200,000,000 received from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
To learn about these new jobs, one can contact the Economic Development Corporation and leader Seth Pinsky directly, or read the Press relaeses announcing companies that have receeved funding for their projects and new jobs at: New York City Economic Development Corporation.
BROOKLYN RECOVERY PROJECTS
- Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Coney Island - People have been waiting and wishing for Coney Island to be revitalized and soon, this will occur.
- Sunset Park
Recovery Zones are located in Downtown Brooklyn, the Far West Side, Long Island City, and the East River Science Park, among other sites, especailly those added in 2013. "Recover New York" maps are located at this lnk: NYC Recovery Zones.
Coney Island Recovery and Expansion
Coney Island waterfront projects make a huge installation. Over 50,000 low-to-middle income people live in this area. The Recover New York projects associated with this historic area will increase jobs, business, and new homes and include
- 6,000 PERMANENT JOBS
- 25,000 Construction Jobs
- 5.000 potential new homes
- 900 units of lower-rent housing
- 27 Acres of Amusement Park and Entertainment venues.
For those that remember or have heard of the old Coney Island, with its Steeplechase Park, Dreamland, and Luna Park, this reconstruction and improvement will be a real treat. Read about old Luna Park and its millions of lights at LUNA PARK - A Tribute to Light.
Mayor Bloomberg's administration will rezone 19 blocks of the Coney Island waterfront. This will clear the way for construction of apartment towers and high rise hotels nearly 30 stories tall. A redevelopment plan was accepted and put into action beginning June 17, 2009. In it,the Coney Island amusement would receive many new rides. However, the Historic Landmarks, Cyclone Roller Coaster and Wonder Wheel, will remain continue to be preserved.
Other Projects Under "Recover New York"
- Another 4,000 jobs, with a total of 400,000 new jobs by 2014.
- 51,000 Summer Youth Jobs.
- 20 new businesses in Bushwick.
- Support for a beer distributor the Bronx.
- Support for Bioscience Companies.
- · Support for new bsuinesses.
- New businesses on 125th Street
- New transportation projects.
- The citywide promotion called “Fashion’s Night Out” will create increased business for NYC fashion and accessory retailers.
- Food Retail Expansion to Support Health (FRESH) program to increase grocery business.
- New international cruise focus to build the cruise economy out of NYC port.
- Three new Financial Empowerment Centers for free financial literacy and coaching and a new Center for Economic Opportunity.
- Legislation for green buildings, with new construction.
- International Gem Tower project.
- Kingsbridge Armory project.
- New Hope Walton Project – new homes in Harlem.
- Gateway Building – new homes in South Bronx.
- 103 new homes in Brownsville.
- New jobs/construction at Yankee Stadium.
Coney Island Timeline
Coney Island Museum Programs
- The Mermaid Parade
- Coney Island Circus Sideshow
- Coney Island Museum
- Ask The Experts Lecture Series
- Burlesque at the Beach
- The Coney Island Film Festival
- The Coney Island Film Society
- Sideshow School
- Congress of Curious People
- Creepshow at the Freakshow
- Magic at Coney
Visit the Museum at Coney Island USA at 1208 Surf Ave. Brooklyn NY
History of Coney Island
New York City Job Listings
Brooklyn Construction Jobs - Increase to 18,000 Openings
About 4,000 construction related jobs were available ib Brooklyn about 2009, increasing to over 14,000 by the end of 2013. However, the increase reached 18,000 advertised job listings in construction in May 2015.
The related job titles advertised in the largest numbers are:
- Project Managers
- Project Architects
- Construction - Various jobs.
- Mechanical Engineers - HVAC Systems
- Construction Loan Officers
- Project Engineers
- Maintenance Technicians
- Supports workers
- Accounting Managers
- Sales Representatives - Wholesale, other.
- Mechanical Enginers
- Resident Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Administrative Assistants
- Mechanic's Helpers
Recover New York
Keep up-to-date daily on the news surrounding the Recover New York projects. Construction will likely be the first to expand, provide the buildings that will house new businesses and provide new permanent jobs by the 1000s.
Online, read Google News and Yahoo/HotJobs and set up news alerts of new jobs to go to your email or online reader application. Look at Simplyhired.com and Craigslist every day, and watch news shows online and in the NYC area on television.
For additional help see: Online Job Search Engines - Complete Review.
© 2009 Patty Inglish