Exciting Business and Employment Trends in New York State
Biggest Pool of Job Openings in America
New York City always provides the greatest number of jobs available in advertisements in print and on the internet of any city in America. This is not counting openings in the hidden job market - those that are not advertised but available in-house to people already employed by companies offering those positions.
What became New York State opened a chamber of commerce in 1768, before the American Revolution and statehood occurred. Thus, this area has been a provider of new jobs, new businesses, and new moneymaking ideas for over 250 years.
By June 2019, the state offered over 200,000 job openings, with 136,000 all in NYC.
The Business Council of New York State supports legislation that authorizes drivers licenses for residents who entered the country illegally.— Times Herald-Record, 5/30/2019
Increasing Worker Shortages and Rising Prices
Two major business developments in that state in late May and early June 2019 affected companies in different ways. A minimum wage hike to $15.00/hour was expected to lead to layoffs in the dining and hospitality industry sectors in New York City. Such layoffs would be disastrous, resulting in burned out workers and loss of business revenues. Some shops are likely to close down permanently.
In warehousing, Blackstone finance and real estate company doubled its property space under an $18.7 billion-dollar contract; and BlueVoyant cyber-security company raised $207.5 million for new projects and jobs.
Given the low unemployment rate of 3.8% statewide in April 2019 and 4.3% in New York City, the business increases mentioned above and among other corporations cause a shortage of workers. One solution, although perhaps not a good one, is a proposal to provide undocumented immigrants around the state with driver's licenses so that they may secure employment. Other options need to be brought forward.
Another development in early June 2019 is that the famous Dollar Tree and other such retail chains announced that prices would rise in response to President Trump's new and increasing tariffs. This means the end of "Everything Costs $1.00."
Growing Industry Sectors
The four leading occupational categories creating new jobs in the state through AD 2026 include:
- Information Technology (IT), including cyber-security
- Teachers, including Elementary, Special Education, and Pre-school.
- Environmental Engineering
Job growth around the state slowed somewhat in from the years 2007 through 2012, with two metro areas exhibiting positive growth. These were New York City and Ithaca, according to New York State Reports).
Analytics.com reports the following job titles that increased in numbers from August 2012 to August 2018:
- Food Prep & Service Supervisors
- Financial Managers (Professional Services)
- Retail Salespeople
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
A projected increase in jobs as Financial Examiners and Financial Advisors indicates growing economies around the state as well through the 2020s.
Powerful Industry Sectors
Among Crain's Most Powerful Women of 2019 list, we find the following industries well represented:
- Banking, Finance, and Investments
- New York States Nurses Association and other medical and health entities
- Philanthropic Organizations
- Government Agencies
- Television Networks
State of New York Business Projections
The State of New York statisticians show these occupational clusters growing most prominently through the 2020s:
- Personal. Home Care, and Home Health Aides
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Physician Assistants, including Nurse Practitioners filling these roles.
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Physical Therapists and Aides
- Electronics Engineers
- Medical Scientists
- Dental Hygienists and Dental Assistants
- Financial Examiners, including the field of forensic accounting.
According to Zippia.com, the leading high demand jobs in 2019 - 2020 include the following:
- Gaming Cashiers
- Home Health and Personal Care Aides
- Web Developers
- Interpreter and Translators
- Physical and Occupational Therapists, Aides, and Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
- Biomedical Engineers
- Business Analysts
Top Hiring Companies in New York City
- BRC: Social service agency focusing on the plight of the homeless.
- Compass Group: food services, especially in colleges and university.
- Amazon Web Services, Inc.
- Success Academy Charter Schools
- Diversified: A major technology company.
- Away: Luggage and accessories.
- TripleLift: Technology in advertising.
- Fareportal Inc.: Technology in the travel industry.
- Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
- Retail companies that include Lids Athletic Headware, various dollar stores, CVS and Walgreens, Spencer Gifts, Speedway, Macy's Auto Zone, Home Depot
Food Businesses Increase
Food trucks and food carts have been popular and convenient on New York Streets for decades, but many more trucks and international cuisines will be represented in the coming years.
Farm-to-table offerings on trucks and carts are set to increase since the start of the state-funded Grow-NY Food and Agriculture Contest during Summer 2019 through Cornell University.
Back in AD 2014, the NYC Department of Health issued food trucks and carts at least 5,100 mobile-food-vending permits. In mid-2019, the New York Food truck Association listed more trucks operating around the city from lunchtime through 3:00 a.m. already. This number should increase, but he number of permits is limited. Operators may be using the permits of other vendors for a fee, which could be illegal.
During June 2019, over 42,000 food related jobs were listed around New York State and about 26,000 jobs in NYC, according to Indeed.com.
Dinner in the Sky is an innovative dining option popular, in New York and globally, is much like promotional stunts used by swank hotels in the early 20th century.
Top Hiring Companies Statewide 2019 - 2020
- ShopRite grocery stores
- Speedway sag and convenience stores
- Spencer Gifts: retail
- CVS Health Retail
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, General Dollar
- The Home Depot
- Stewart's Shops Corp.
- Advance Auto Parts; AutoZone
- New York Sports Club
- Lids: Hats and such
- McDonald's Restaurant Franchisees; Burger King
- PSI International
Sports Opportunities: Playing and Working
Many sports teams are headquartered and play in New York State.
These organizations require workers in the fields of healthcare, Information Technology (IT), coaching and training, professional athletes, sales, public relations, recruiters, broadcasters, food service, and others.
Sport marketing, media, and management jobs are in high demand.
College and High School Sports
- Clarkson Golden Knights
- Syracuse Orangemen
- New York State Public High School Athletic Association
- Adirondack Icehawks (UHL)
- Adirondack Lumberjacks (NEBL)
- Albany River Rats (AHL)
- Auburn Doubledays (A)
- Batavia Muck Dogs (A)
- Binghamton Mets (AA)
- Buffalo Bisons (IL)
- Buffalo Blizzard (NPSL)
- Elmira Pioneers (NLB)
- Hudson Valley Renegades (A)
- Long Island Ducks (ALPBC)
- Rochester Americans (AHL)
- Rochester Red Wings (IL)
- Rochester Rhinos (USL)
- Syracuse Crunch (AHL)
- Syracuse SkyChiefs (IL)
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS