- Business and Employment»
Online Advertising Ideas For Your Business
Why Online Advertising
Let's face it, we are in a technological age and the internet is the mother ship. Despite your gadget, without the internet, you feel like a fish out of water.
Almost all modern media and communication devices, with a few exceptions, have internet portals installed.
Some of these technological devices include
- The PC - the most basic is used to browse the net
- Laptops and notebooks - are made with built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, networking and all internet or wireless communicable resources.
- Tablets - Specifically made to browse the internet
- Media players are now equipped to browse for and download music, videos and movies
- The cell phone - virtually all of them have become so smart that one can check their emails, purchase stuff online and even create web pages.
Is Online Marketing Important?
The question that may be foremost on your mind is: "Is advertising my business online worth it?"
There may not be a clear cut answer to your question but, based on evidence from the popularity of growing businesses online today, we can answer a highly probable yes.
In simple terms, every business has the potential to grow an online presence. To reach a definite yes you the entrepreneur have to decide, based on your variables whether or not it is worth it.
You may now find yourself asking: "Is it really important to advertise my business online?"and the answer will be a definite yes!
Internet User Statistics
According World Internet User Stats, of the 7 billion plus people across the globe, 2,405,518,376 uses the internet.
Think of the scenario for your business if you could reach 1% of all internet users applying the data above. Your business would reach 24,055,183.8 internet users across the globe. Now, what if only 1% of these people are interested in what your business has to offer? That would bring in 240,551.4 potential clients. Of that number your business only serves 1% of these potential clients. Then you would have served 2,405 customers. This is only a scenario and actual numbers may vary.
Of course there are variables to consider such as:
- The type of business you are offering: Is your business very popular and offered by a zillion people? Or, is your service in demand?
The type of business will also depend on the product or service. Is your service or product designed to suite only a particular locale, such as real estate, a movie theater for concerts, a football stadium for sporting events? Advertising online can be beneficial but your global outreach is limited.
- How far can your business extend, or, are you prepared for dealing with global customers? It's one thing to market yourself online but if the type of business you are offering only caters to people who are within a 20 mile radius of your location or office then you have a problem.
- Your target audience: This deals with age, location and need. What age group is your business targeted at? Where is your target audience or how wide can your business reach? Is what you are offering what people in your target age group or location looking for?
Other questions you need to answer......
- What is your customer support like? Have you implemented resources to deal with your customers from different cultures and backgrounds?
- What are your policies regarding international trade?
- Can you compete with other businesses just like yours?
- Are you willing to do whatever is necessary to build your online presence? Within guidelines of course.
Ways to advertise online
There are several ways to go about marketing or advertising on the World Wide Web. These methods include:
- Having a website. A website is a group or collection of webpages offering information to people who need it.
- Placing advertisements on websites for people to see your business, much like a print ad.
- Social media networking
- Online business directories and yellow pages.
- Email marketing and newsletters
Exposure by website
One of the most important strategies you can employ to your business is creating a webpage/website, somewhere online where potential customers can get product or service information, location, telephone support and see your business in action. A single webpage can be a good starting point, then, as your business grow you develop your website to accommodate your growing needs.
On your webpage make sure to tell your readers something about the company:
- when it was created
- what your vision and mission are
- why they should choose you
- contact information in case they need to speak with you directly.
Social Media Marketing
One of the fastest growing methods of advertising your business on the internet is using social networks. There are several social networks that allow users to post alerts about their services, create pages just for their business and even place ads.
- Facebook is by far the number one social network with has over 800 million active users with over 400 million logging in every day. Can you imagine the exposure your business will get as you advertise to your targeted age group, location and need? Remember we spoke about that earlier? Creating an account is free and placing adverts are low cost and the great thing about FB is that you don't pay unless someone clicks your ad. If you are on a budget think about creating an account for the business and posting free status updates.
- Twitter is another fast paced social network which has more than a hundred million users and 230 million tweets each day. This network was actually created for businesses to connect to people who need a particular service. Tweets were invented to send business information, much like a memo, to people searching. Creating an account is free and you can upgrade to a promoted account at any time. The promoted account allows you to send promoted tweets which are targeted to specific customers. This allows for a greater turn around ratio. These tweets are visible via search engines and not only reach twitter users but any one searching the internet as well.
- Other networks to consider are Yahoo, Google+ and LinkedIn.
It is important to market your business online because
- You get more exposure, reaching more people and places
- It ends up being more convenient to the client using the internet, everything is in one space
- You can serve thousands, even millions of people from one location in cyberspace
- Advertising on the internet is less costly than radio and print ads, yet it reaches more people, being on a global level.
Anyone who wants to expand their business locally, regionally, internationally and globally must advertise their business online in order to grow. The internet is the fastest growing business marketing tool and needs to be utilized to its fullest. Some things are free to use while others may cost a minimal fee, but one thing is for sure, is that it is definitely worth the time and effort.
Source: BA Business Management and Administration