Organizational Behavior : The Threats and The Chances
There are certain factors which can prove to be challenges for the managers running an organization. If managed well it is these challenges which turn into opportunities. With increasing competition in the global market and the continuous nature of change OB as a subject needs to incorporate and terminate many concepts on a regular basis.
Certain factors which affect both the managers and the study of OB are:
It can have its effect in two ways:
· An expatriate manager has to manage a workforce that is likely to have very different needs, aspirations and desires from the ones in their home countries.
· They have to understand the local culture if the people and accordingly learn to adapt their management style to these differences.
Managers need to be sensitive to understand individual differences among people and exhibit a degree of tolerance.
2. Managing Workforce Diversity
Workforce diversity is the heterogeneous mix of employees in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, community, age, handicapped etc.
Managers have to be more personalized rather than being generalized. This means that they should recognize the individual differences and should treat everyone equally, without discriminating.
Ineffective management of such diverse work groups will give high turnover but low production and increased interpersonal conflicts.
3. Stimulating Innovation and change:
Organizations must be capable in implementing innovation and change to go well with the competition.
The major challenge for the managers is to stimulate employee creativity and tolerance for change.
4. Improving Ethical Behavior
There are numerous unethical practices found in organizations:
· Treating employees unequally
· Giving unequal pay for equal work
· Producing products that are not eco-friendly
· Openly targeting their competitors and customers
· Forced selling
Managers must evolve a code of ethics to guide the employees.
Seminars, training programs and workshops regarding unethical and ethical behavior should be organized.
OB is a tool managers use to understand their work effectively. It guides them through the difficult tasks of managing a large and diverse work group where there unique needs and interests. Overcoming the challenges and converting them into opportunities for maximum profit of the organization is their chief goal.OB is a tool managers use to understand their work effectively. It guides them through the difficult tasks of managing a large and diverse work group where there unique needs and interests. Overcoming the challenges and converting them into opportunities for maximum profit of the organization is their chief goal.