- Business and Employment»
- Customer Service & Satisfaction
Team Work in Pike's Place Fish Market, Seattle - Choose Your Attitude!
Pike's Place Fish Market, Seattle & The Fish Philosophy
Pike's Place in Seattle is not just a fish market. It is a life-affirming experience. It is a place where Team Work is the most important part of the fishmonger's ethos - it's about turning up every day with a positive attitude.
It's not just salmon, lobster, cod and prawns, it's laughter, cheers, chatter and friendliness but most of all about being an important part of the team.
Every guy selling fish is only as good as the other guys in the market. They all rely on one another to get the job done - yes, it's about selling fish, but it's so much more than that.
Pike's Place prides itself on making the purchase of their fish something you never forget.
Even if you visit Pike's Place every week, it's usually not only because of the wonderful freshness of their produce but for the repartie of the guys who work there.
You certainly never forget seeing two guys hurl a huge marlin from one side of the market stall to the other - boy, those marlins are heavy, slippery fish and you're on the edge of your seat - will the marlin make it across the space! You can't look away.
Pike's Place is a business based on a unique kind of customer service - fun, fun, fun!
And the guys who work there know something for sure - they have to WANT to work in a certain way and if they can't bring the team building philosophy into everything they do - they might as well be doing something else.
Throw in some cheekiness, some loud shouting, some whooping and hollerin' and most of all a real, unabashed care for customers by everyone who works there and you have all of the magic ingredients to make a successful business.
What Is The Fish Philosophy?
- Be There - Be there for everyone with whom you come into contact. It's all about giving ALL of yourself to the people you meet while you are at work.
- Play - Work is a serious business...isn't it? Not according to the Fish Philosophy. You need to 'play' some of the time, it's work but if it were serious all of the time, you would soon be worn down. So playing with your team mates and others is an important part of the Fish Philosophy.
- Make Their Day - Let people know that they mattered today! Be thoughtful and kind to others. Let people walk away from meeting you at work and feel better for the experience.
- Choose Your Attitude - Live from moment to moment and embrace every day and every working experience as a unique one. Wake up every day with the intent to be someone who can make a difference to the team and to the people you meet.
The Fish Philosophy
FISH! - It is All About Team Building
Pike Place Market isn't just about fish of course, it has been in Seattle since 1907 and like a proper market, it has cobblestones and is spread over an old area of the city.
It has an amazing selection of shops and stalls and prides itself on the quality of its produce and goods.
I became fascinated by the Fish Market when I was sent on a dreaded 'management team building' course and was shown the film 'Fish'.
It's all about the A word - ATTITUDE
The guys at Pike's Place Fish Market use a great one liner for their ethos
Do you 'choose your attitude' before work every day?
"CHOOSE YOUR ATTITUDE"
Waking up every day with that idea, 'Choose your attitude' is the best way of approaching your work.
Some days are easier than others but I try to wake up every day and feel that yesterday is old news and today is a brand new page waiting to be written upon.
I watch the Fish video whenever I need a lift.
I hope you enjoy the spirit of what they are trying to do.
They start work at about 5:30 am every day. All day they work in really cold temperatures with wet, cold fish. They have many reasons to dislike their work - but they don't!
To be able to make people happy as part of you working day is a priceless gift!