What is Laughter Yoga? A Fun Way to Boost Creativity at Work!
Learn how laughter yoga can boost staff morale and invigorate your office's team spirit!
Laughing with your peers can create a healthy workplace culture.
A happy workplace is also a healthy workplace.
Are you looking for a way to reduce office stress, boost employee satisfaction, encourage creativity and increase productivity within your small business or non-profit organization?
Research has shown that laughter in the workplace can build community, facilitate problem-solving, reduce tension and diffuse conflict. For people working in high-stress environments, a good laugh now and then can be a breath of fresh air, literally.
Stretch your team's funny muscles with laughter yoga!
What is laughter yoga?
Laughter yoga is a combination of simulated laughter and yogic breathing. Laughter yoga is based on ancient wisdom backed by scientific evidence that shows the mind and body cannot differentiate between simulated laughter and real laughter. In other words, we get the same health benefits from laughing at nothing as we do from laughing at something. That’s why laughter yoga is ideal for small businesses: every employee can join in.
No joke-telling experience is required. All it takes to participate in laughter yoga is an open mind and an open space (and perhaps a pair of stretchy pants).
Laughter yoga has scientifically proven health benefits.
Many laughter yoga participants have reported significant health improvements including a reduction in respiratory infections such as colds and flu. Here are more good reasons to chuckle as part of a balanced lifestyle:
- Laughing improves breathing, lung capacity and oxygen levels
- Laughing is good exercise; you'll be surprised at how energized you feel after a laughter yoga session
- Laughing lowers blood pressure and increases circulation
- Laughing releases endorphins (a natural pain-killer)
- Laughing stimulates our internal organs and boosts our immune systems
People who are having fun think more clearly and creatively, opening up a space for those ‘a-ha’ moments that often elude us when we are busy focusing on a big challenge.
The next time your team seems to be stuck in a rut, why not roll out the and encourage everyone to ROFL: Roll on the Floor and Laugh for awhile? By making laughter yoga a regular team-building activity, you can create a positive work environment where innovation, creativity, optimism and enthusiasm flourish. yoga mats
Laughter helps take the weight off your shoulders, and maybe off your hips and waist too!
Laughing burns calories and increases your metabolism. Laughing continuously for as little as 15 minutes increases your heart rate. And when you increase your heart rate in a positive way, you tend to burn more calories, increase energy and give your heart a healthy, but not too strenuous workout. Even though you won’t really be able to lose weight by laughter alone, if you burned just 30 calories every time you had a good laugh, those results could add up over time. Isn’t it fun to know that just by choosing to laugh more, over the course of a year, you could lose a pound or two? You’ve got nothing to lose by laughing more!
What do you think? Can laughter provide all of these positive health and wellness benefits?
- Friendly humor can make us more open-minded and receptive to new perspectives
- Scientists believe that laughter can act as a natural painkiller by increasing endorphins in our brain
- Laughter reduces stress and strengthens the immune system
- Laughing increases job satisfaction
- Laughter improves communication, creativity, and performance at work
- Laughing (especially at yourself) increases feelings of optimism and self-worth
- Laughing at yourself and your mistakes makes it easier to forgive yourself and move on from a setback
- Laughter makes hard work feel worthwhile, while making the time pass by faster
- Laughter helps you let go of fear and worry about your health, your career and your future
- Laughter can provide gentle relief and respite when you're grieving or mourning a sudden loss
Do you notice a greater sense of calmness after you’ve had a good laugh? Leave a comment and share the positive mental, physical and emotional benefits you’ve felt when you chose to laugh instead of cry.
Hey, what are you laughing at? What's so funny?
What are your favorite go-to sources for a good laugh? What makes you laugh out loud?
More information on laughter yoga:
- Laughter Yoga Club America - Laughing Yoga Education, Training and Workshops.
Laughing is the best therapy that improves your health and keeps you fit. Learn about laughter yoga, exercises, certification, clubs, speakers and more with our Laughter Yoga Books, CDs and DVDs.
- Laughter Yoga International
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. - Mark Twain
Time spent laughing is time spent with the Gods. - Japanese Proverb
In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. - Kahlil Gibran
© 2012 Sally Hayes