ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Business and Employment»
  • Business & Society

Health and Safety: RIDDOR 1995

Updated on June 19, 2013

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) was set up to help safeguard employees from injury in the workplace, and try to prevent accidents and incidents from happening. Whether it is a severe injury or just a minor cut, all accidents have to be reported in an accident book.

Major injuries must be reported immediately to the HSE via phone or email by a responsible person, more often than not the manager. The same person then has to complete RIDDOR form F2508, and send it to the HSE within the next ten days. Serious injuries include:-

· A fracture of a bone other than a finger or toe

· Amputation of any body part

· Dislocation of a shoulder, hip, knee or spine

· Loss of sight, whether it be temporary or permanent

· Loss of consciousness

· Injury requiring at least 24 hours in the hospital

· Injury leading to heat-related illnesses such a hypothermia

If the casualty has to take at least three days (including weekends) off work, the accident has to be reported as soon as possible. Although all incidents are preferred to be accounted for immediately, major injuries must be reported at the earliest convenience, if not immediately.

Diseases also have to be reported if defined. Such diseases include:-

· Anthrax, caught by animals

· Hepatitis, caught from other people’s body fluids

· Tetanus, caught from contaminated soil and animals

· Legionellosis, caught from contact with rat’s urine

Incident reports should include the following points:

· names and contact information of the reporter and witnesses;

· a detailed description of the incident;

· recommendations to prevent similar incidents in the future.

The report should then legally be kept on file for at least three to five years after the Statute of Limitations passes for that type of claim. All accidents are investigated by someone, depending on how major the accident was. Minor and initial investigations are carried out by the manager responsible for the employee or activity. The OHSAS (Occupational Health and Safety Assurance Services) will then notify the Estates Management Section of premises related incidents, so that they can investigate. More serious accidents, however, are investigated by the HSAS (Health and Safety Assurance Services).

These reports and investigations help with dealing with accidents and preventing them from happening again, making the workplace a safer environment to work in.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • cmiller0161 profile image

      Claire Miller 4 years ago

      I'm glad you've found this useful. Are you by any chance doing some coursework for Engineering?

    • profile image

      Shaun 4 years ago

      you are the best. simply the best