Resume Writing: Proper Resume Formatting
The visual appeal of your résumé can make or break your chances of getting an interview, so it must look professional!
The basic rules for a professional look are:
- Leave plenty of space so the page looks inviting to read.
- Make sure the margins are the same on all sides, preferably one inch on all sides
- Use friendly, yet professional font. Cutsie fonts are inappropriate.
- Use bullets, bolding and underlines to emphasize.
- Label each section clearly.
- Use black ink on quality paper.
If you have more than two pages:
- Ensure the page breaks at an appropriate location.
- Be sure to clearly indicate the number of pages (e.g. 1 of 2)
- Make sure the second page is given a proper heading in case the pages become separated.
Be sure to use consistent formatting throughout the document.
© 2015 Rosa Marchisella