A Review of the Filofax Original Patent A5 Organiser
A Classic Filofax
Filofax, perhaps one of the finest creators of organisers have created a classic organiser with the intent of creating a simple yet old school style inspired by their first organisers. This organiser is known as The Original Organiser Patent and I will be reviewing the Purple A5 Original Organiser Patent today. This review will cover all aspects of the organiser from its lavish leather cover to the kinds of pages you will get with it. This review is 100% honest and I this review is comprised of my opinions. I have taken as many photos as I could as I want you, the reader to get a good feel for this organiser. I can blab on all day, but a single picture does all the talking.
I am a big user of organisers as they help plan my day, workload and what I should do. I also have all my contacts and handy "To-do" lists whenever I need them. For each year, you will have to decide on what kind of organiser you should get. This organiser is one of my favourites as you will see below and hopefully this review will help you decide on whether this organiser is for you.
A Brief Introduction to The Original Patent
But before I delve into the depths of this organiser, I would like to give you some information on this organiser.
- One very positive thing about the manufacturing of this organiser is that it was made in the UK. This is a fantastic advantage over any other organiser as it was made locally in the UK.
- The cover is made of thick leather. The leather is quite soft yet with a sense of firmness and really appeals to your sense of touch. I love even holding this organiser as it is so smooth. Any way, from first sight, the leather is a huge thumbs up from me.
- This particular organiser (The Original Patent) is available in three colours; black, fuschia and purple. "The Original" is also available in Flouro Pink, Green, Yellow and Brown. The colours are very vivid but yet add a stylish look to the organiser. The purple and fuschia colours are perfect for women whilst the black is suitable to both men and women.
- Filofax have designed this organiser with a classic mix of simplicity and 80's style yet keeping a modern look. That's a mouthful...but really is a great combination.
What I Love...
One of the things I love about this organiser is the fact that it lies flat by itself. One of the most annoying things I have found with organisers is that when you open them, they close again and the only way you can get them to lie flat is through constant use. With this, on its first opening, it lies flat.
When you purchase your Filofax, it will come in a plastic cover which protects it. Once you take off this cover, you will see the leather cover. The first thing that strikes me is the colour and the softness of the leather. It just doesn't feel like your usual leather, there is something more special about it. It has a good mix of firmness and softness which has really impressed me. It also has a natural sheen and hand sewn stitching on the sides. The purple is also visually appealing, I love it!
The leather strap with the button that seals the organiser shut has a gel capped finish and has the words "The Original est 1921" on it. This really gives the organiser an authentic feel. It's time to open it up now.
What essentials do you need to have in your organiser?
The First Pages
There are a lot of things going on when you open up this organiser. On the left hand side there are three straps, two for pens and one for your phone (or credit cards). There is also more print to the bottom of this saying that this organiser was made in the UK, it is made of real leather and extra details.
The design is quite simplistic and kept to a minimum, so no extra pockets or credit card holders. There is a plastic pocket to the back but you will have to buy a credit card holder if you want to include more cards in this. At least the design is un-cluttered and not in your face, I quite like that.
The block of pages within this organiser begins with a durable plastic sheet and another "Made in the UK" page.
Kinds of Paper
This organiser boasts a very extendable range of paper. There are so many kinds of paper you can write on including:
- Lined Paper: Are you a note taker? This paper is perfect for anyone who needs some space to write down anything they want from notes to extra bits of information.
- Squared Paper: This paper is perfect for maths students. You will have plenty of room to solve your algebraic expressions and geometric calculations.
- Blank Paper: Are you an artist? Whenever inspiration strikes, there are many pages for you to sketch to your hearts content.
- Blue Coloured Paper: My favourite colour is blue as it signals calm, peace and tranquillity. The blue coloured colour here is a beautiful light shade almost like the ocean.
- Green Coloured Paper: That's right, more colour! Variety is the spice of life, as they say and this is no exception. It is a bright shade of green.
- Pink Coloured Paper: A beautiful medium shade of pink is also to be found in this organiser.
There are all sorts of other inserts you can get for this A5 Filofax including:
- Cream coloured paper
- Meeting Planner
- Quadrile Paper (Graph)
- Jot Pads
Inserts and Pages
No organiser is complete without its many kinds of pages, right? You know, contacts, to-do lists and so on. There are all sorts of pages included in the organiser which I find extremely handy such as:
- Calendars: Get a quick view of the current year, the past year and the next year.
- To-Do Lists: Perfect for any tasks you need doing.
- Contacts: For all your contacts in one place. The contacts pages include name, address, telephone, email and mobile number.
- Personal Information: For your contact information, health info etc, its all here. Plus, you get it with the advantage of five languages, a language a page including English, Spanish, French, Italian and German. That is perfect for learning a language (I'm learning Spanish and know French so that's handy for my learning!)
- Country Info: For currencies, capitals, phone numbers and national holidays, you will have plenty of info on each country.
- Religious Festivals: This page includes the religious holidays and their dates for major world religions.
- Extra Information: For all that super handy information that you need at your fingertips such as converting temperature, capacity, mass, weight, area, length and so on. Plus, get notable dates for the coming year, average temperatures for many cities across the globe, clothing sizes in other countries and a full page on everything you need to know about time and the seasons.
Overall, I have found these pages to be extremely handy and concise giving me extra info when I need it. Those pages that Filofax have provided within their organiser is a thumbs up from me.
The most important part of a Filofax is its diary where you can plan your day and appointments etc. The diary within the Original Patent A5 is the week on two pages diary (multilanguage).
Each day of the week has one column except for Saturday and Sunday where they each get half a column. Each day is also printed in four other languages (Spanish, French, Italian and German) and each day contains info on the moon phase, holidays etc. You also get the number of the day so the 31st of December would be day 365 and how many days in the year are left. When it comes to technical stuff (numbers, days, etc) Filofax are easily the best at this. For instance, I can tell everyone that on the 14th of October, 78 days are left in the year, it is day 287, that it is in week 42 and the next day, the moon phase will be half and what Tuesday is in five languages and what October is in five languages. Whew...that is a lot but something I like to know is there.
I have found the diary to be fairly good and if you want to know what you will be doing on an hourly basis the next day. I find it a little annoying that each day is lined with the hours of the day and you can fill in what you will be doing each hour but I just bypass that by ignoring the hours. Nonetheless, you can diary refills anyway so if you want a different kind of diary layout, you can always purchase a refill.
Overall, with the diary, I am very impressed and I love all the extra details and languages on each day.
The Ring Binder
The ring binder keeps all the pages, inserts, paper and the diary together. Each page is triple hole punched on each side and fits nicely into the ring binder. When flicking a page, it moves very smoothly and never snags. The movement across the binder is smooth and effortless. Again, well done on the ring binder.
Bookmark and Plastic Pocket
This organiser also includes two very handy items, a bookmark (which also serves as a ruler) and a plastic pocket.
The ruler/bookmark is very handy when you need to find what day you are on in your diary quickly. The top of the ruler sticks out neatly so you can find the page where you are in your diary. This bookmark also serves as a ruler which comes in handy.
At the back, there is also a good quality plastic pocket, perfect for storing pens, credit cards and other items. The pocket is excellet quality and thick so it will never tear. It is opened and closed by a zip, which is working perfectly.
A Word Of Thanks
I would like to say a huge thank you to the wonderful Jess from The Ideas Network for sending me this organiser to review. I would like to thank Jess for giving me the opportunity to review this amazing organiser. Thank you so much Jess!
So that is everything you need to know about The Original Patent A5. I have enjoyed reviewing it and have some conclusions which I would like to share with you.
- The body of the organiser is wonderful, I absolutely love the colour and leather. It lies flat and has a sleek and stylish finish which makes it one excellent organiser.
- The variety of paper you get with this is huge, there are all sorts of paper available.
- The information pages have served me well and I have so much information on the go.
- The interior design is simple and kept to a minimum.
- The diary is very informative and is great for organisation.
I would give this organiser a 4.5 out of 5, just because the diary wasn't to my liking as much as everything else was but that is nothing to worry about. Overall, an excellent high quality organiser perfect for students and professionals.
If you have any comments, questions or suggestions I will be glad to answer. I hope you enjoyed this and thanks for reading!
© 2014 Susan W