Richest Cities on Florida's US Space Coast
Business and Life on the US Space Coast
North Beach, Florida is one of the richest places in America designated by Forbes.com in 2010 and US Census 2010 Bureau information. The city - actially an unincorporated community - stands in 9th position, right after the four richest places in New York State. In addition, the Number 10 Richest City actually ties with North Beach for Number 9 (see the list at the end of this Hub).
North Beach has been among the Top 100 Best Places to Raise a Family, according to Sperling reports and Sperling Best Places on the web. In addition, the community supports its own country club and enjoys the view of launches from Cape Canaveral just 45 miles north along Highway 1A.
Even though it is a small residential community with 343 residents reported in 2010, the city increased in population by over 41% since the 2000 census tally, some 240+ people. Median home values in 2010 were over $788,000, so what is drawing new residents to North Beach, Florida?
Orchid Island is a long barrier island that is home to North Beach, Sebastian Inlet State Park, several residential communities and many historical and tourist attractions.
Explosive Growth in the 1960s
When the US Space Program gained impetus and expanded on Cape Canaveral and children watched spaceships taking off from school TVs, additional families and businesses began moving into the Cape Area.
These people and business concerns filled in all the way down the barrier island on the Atlantic Coast of Florida that was separated from the mainland by the Indian River Lagoon and took up most of Brevard County, to become the US Space Coast. It was an awe inspiring time in which the US was determined to land on the Earth's moon before 1970.
The already healthy Travel and Tourism Industry of Florida drew even more visitors with the addition of the chance to see rockets and space capsules lift off at Canaveral (called Cape Kennedy for a time).
At the same time, the 1960s prohibition on travel to Cuba under the Kennedy Administration kept more visitors and vacationers in nearby Florida. The cruise ships no longer set sale for Cuba. The long barrier island on Florida's east coast became a hothouse for growth.
Space Age furniture, décor, and appliance businesses bloomed under the contrails of the Mercury and Apollo Programs, kitschy signage appeared on storefronts and motels, and space-related tours took form.
Vacation opportunities developed that took in the daytime activities of the beach, shopping, and the Cape, and nightlife at kitschy taverns, all woven around Cape Canaveral. Business, residential growth and retirement centers continued to grow from the Cape down the Atlantic Coast at least to Jupiter (aptly named).
The Kennedy Family, NASA, and outer space have made for a cult of memories and hope for the future that linger in the area.
On February 24, 2011 in the afternoon, Mission STS133 began as US Space Shuttle Discovery lift off in its final journey.This was the end of the shuttle program for Discovery, the end to the entire program occurring during July 4th Week in 2011.
After Discovery returned to Earth, it was donated to one of the aerospace museums around America that have bid for its receipt. The shoreline up and down the Space Coast were crowded with massive audiences. Viewers camped out overnight in the Titusville Bridge area north of the Cape to be assured of seeing the launch.
North Beach Attractions
- North Beach Camp
North Beach Camp Resort is near downtown St. Augustine in East Florida between the North River & the Ocean beach and offers quality campsites at a campground that features RV sites, tent camping and cabins.
- Official Fort DeSoto Park Page
- Sebastian Inlet -- Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge
Home page of the Region 4 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, representing Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, the US Virgin Island, and Puerto Rico, a bureau in the Department of Interior. Ou
Work, Retirement, and Families
North Beach is located in the Sebastian-Vero Beach Metropolitan Area. Along with access to the jobs listed for this market area and being a good place to raise a family, North Beach/Vero Beach is one of the top-recommended places for retirement by a variety of economic, financial, and retirement magazines in America.
Sebastian-Vero Beach Employment Trends
All of the highest demand jobs are involved in:
- Retail Sales, and
- Information Technology.
In late February 2011, over 5,500 job listings were available to the Sebastian - Vero Beach Area. Number of job listings had decreased during the previous several months in this market, but 5,500+ jobs, many well paid, were available.
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Physical Therapists and Assistants
- Occupational Therapists and Assistants
- Nursing Assistants and Aides
- Allied Health Professionals
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Speech Therapists
- Home Health Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists
- Salespeople, including health and medical supplies and services.
- Assistant Managers, all fields
- Software Engineers
Additional High Demand Jobs
- Nursing Support Staff: Technical Support
- Physicians in Emergency Medicine
- Physicians in Internal Medicine
Companies Hiring the Most Workers
- Lockheed Martin: NASA Commercial Crew member
- Target Stores, PETCO, and Home Depot retailers
- Holmes Regional Medical Center
- Indian River Medical Center
- Moran Environmental Recovery
- Superior Technical Resources
- DRS Technologies
- The Superior Group
- US Air Force and Air National Guard
- Securus Medical Connections
- Health First
- Countrywide Therapy
- Indian River State College
Kennedy Space Center Jobs
Job listings are available for the following positions with NASA and the NASA Commercial Crew of privately held aerospace companies.
High Demand Space Center Jobs:
- Mechanical Engineers levels V and VI
- Electrical Engineers level VI
- Project Managers level IV - (Senior Planner/Scheduler)
- Project Managers level V
- Subject Matter Experts levels I, II
- Project Managers level III
- Support Services Mechanics
- Project Administrators
- Engineers levels V and IV
- Subject Matter Experts level III
- Design Specialist level III
- Scientists level V
Major Companies in the Space Center That are Hiring:
- QinetiQ North America
- URS Corporation
- ZIN Technologies, Inc.
- Consolidated Safety Services
- Dynamac Corporation
- Applied Geo Technologies, Inc.
- Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
Web site of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Orlando Vacation Destination - Kennedy Space Center
Take an Orlando, Florida, vacation and experience Kennedy Space Center the only place on Earth where you can tour launch areas, meet an astronaut, view a launch and more. Plan your Florida vacation and embark on mankinds ultimate journey.
- Brevard Community College - Cocoa Campus
- Florida Institute of Technology - Melbourne
- Indian River Community College
- Palm Beach Atlantic College - West Palm Beach
- Rollins College
- University of Central Florida
- Valencia Community College
© 2011 Patty Inglish MS