Fast Growing Jobs in Rockland County NY
Smallest County in NY
In the late 2000s, small Rockland County was named by economics and financial magazines to the Number Four slot in the Top 25 Best Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America.
Rockland County abuts the Hudson River on its east side, New Jersey to the south side, and the Ramapo Mountain Range rining from north to west. This variety provided an interesting setting very close to New York City without actually entering into the freneticism of that mega-city.
Rockland is also an official Preserve American Community site that dedicates itself to preserving American History from the early Indigenous Peoples through early European exploration through to the present century. From 10,000 - 12,000 years ago, the Delaware and Lenni Lanape Native American Nations lived in Rockland County. In the 21st century, about 60% of Rockland residents work in the county proper and the remainder commute to nearby New York City and New Jersey.
Increasing Business Health
Many successful business ventures started in Rockland County as small businesses that grew to medium and large sizes. In the summer 2008, two such corporations in particular expanded their business operations in Rockland County and the Hudson River Vally by a significant amount:
- National Automotive Parts Association [NAPA Auto Parts]-- This well known firm has begun the opening of an additional 12 new stores in the Hudson Valley Region around Rockland County. NAPA is this nation's largest auto parts distributors. It is growing by large percentages yearly, its strength based in the increase in business of the Auto Repair and Maintenance business sector in many American cities and certainly in Rockland cities. Ramped up maintenance and repair activities my American car owners is one way of increasing gas mileage and permitting an automobile to last longer in the light of increasing energy and auto costs.
- Vision-Sciences Inc. is a medical device producer that has expanded its local plant and plans to double its employee base by the 2010s. Healthcare is another fast-growing industry in Rockland.
Delaware Indians in NY
Largest Employers in Rockland County
Rockland County is rather densely populated and covers 176 square miles with 1/3 of that total area maintained as park lands with an additional 60 lakes and ponds. Few counties maintain that proportion of open space in a green and environmentally friendly initiative.
The County Seat of Rockland is New City and other major towns include Clarkstown, Haverstraw, Orangetown, Ramapo, Stony Point. Rockland contanias as least 8 K-12 school districts, 3 major hospitals; 9 local colleges; 18 libraries in the county system and nearly 100,000 housing units.
Rockland's large employers specialize in Production, Education, Special Education and MR/DD Servces, Healthcare, and Government.
WYETH has been awarded many citations for community service excellence, including American Battle Monument Commission Award—The National World War II Memorial Patron; Boy Scouts of America Award; Earth Day Award, Morris County Rides, Inc.; Greater Valley Forge Human Resources Association Diversity Award; Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Award; March of Dimes/Walk America Silver Award; Presidential Award for participation in the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA training & PIC); Working Mother magazine list of "100 Best Companies" at which to work.
- County of Rockland - County Government
- Clarkstown Central School District
- Good Samaritan Hospital, Bon Secours Charity Health System
- Nyack Hospital
- Haverstraw-Stony Point Central School District
- East Ramapo Central School District
- Northern Services Group
- Orange and Rockland Utilities Inc.
- Rockland Psychiatric Center
- Helen Hayes Hospital
- SUNY Rockland Community College
- Jawonio Inc.
- Verizon Wireless - Telecommunications
- Town of Clarkstown - City Government
- A & T Healthcare LLC
- Ramapo Central School District
- Chestnut Ridge Transportation Inc.
- Rockland County Department of Hospitals Summit Park Hospital & Nursing Care Center
- Camp Venture Inc. - A Community Based Organization that serves the MR/DD and other populations with high quality recreation options for health and personal development.
- Prudential Rand Realty
- ARC - Workshop employment for MR/DD and similar populations and product sales.
High Education Institutions In and Near Rockland County
- Columbia University Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Dominican College
- Empire State College/SUNY
- Iona College
- NYU School of Social Work at Dominican College
- Nyack College
- Purchase Extension at Rockland Community College
- SUNY Rockland Community College
- Rockland Graduate Campus, Long Island University
- St. Thomas Aquinas College
Top 10 Fast Growing Jobs
- Management Jobs across all fields at all levels of responsibility
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Sales and Sales Related Occupations
- Teachers K-12, including Special Education and Vocational and College Level Instructors and Professors
- Auto Repair and Maintenance Technicians
- Secretaries, including Executive, Legal, and Medical
- First-line supervisors in office and retail settings
- Home Health Aides and Personal Care Assistants
- Child Care Workers
- Accountants, Auditors and Support Staff
Programs at Rockland Community College
Just 25 miles away from NYC, RCC offers lower-priced education per credit in programs with 1400+ course offerings. Credits transfer smoothly to 4-year colleges and universities elsewhere.
The school has performed regular enironmental studies to offer the healthiest surroundings for ther students. RCC welcomes Hispanic and International Students and offers an advanced Honors Program as well as adult continuing education for even retired senior citizens.
Two-year degrees and shorter-term certificates are offered in business and technologies that include IT as well as in health, arts, nursing, justice, culinary arts, fitness, business ownership, and several others. Automotive Technology is one certificate that is much sought after, since this profession is a fast-growing career in Rockland that is spurred further with the growth of NAPA, mentioned above.
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory in Antartica
Sports and Recreation
The Rockland County Sports Hall of Fame is a fun museum and sports facility that honors a new list of all-time greats yearly. RocklandSports.com provides a large number for team sports activities for groups and families in Rockland.
Local recreational sports include seasonal and year-‘round activities like cycling, boating and fishing, hiking, camping out, horseback riding at several local stables, golfing at 12 golf courses, and tennis. Additionally, there is ice skating at indoor and outdoor rinks, snowboarding and sledding, cross-country skiing, and winter hiking. See Hudson Valley Outdoor Sports.