- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
6 Reasons Courier Services Save Money
Private same-day delivery services which offer personalized routes and can handle specialized or unique deliveries.
How They Can Help
Do you or your employees spend a lot of time making deliveries or picking up things for your business? Hiring a courier may be a way to save money and time. While each company offers different services, most couriers:
- Have regularly scheduled routes which work for many businesses.
- Can individualize a route or service to suit your needs.
- Offer online scheduling for infrequent delivery needs.
Here are some examples of deliveries that a courier can make:
- Same day delivery.
- Making bank deposits.
- Delivering or picking up office supplies.
- Distributing parts or manufactured goods.
- Delivering payroll.
- Delivering legal documents.
- Picking up lab and specimen deposits.
- Distributing medical or pharmaceutical supplies.
- Bringing you supplies from a distributor.
- Delivering packages to be mailed out.
- Delivering packages to the airport for the next flight out.
- Delivering on holidays, weekends or after hours.
- Delivering perishable goods.
How They Save You Money
If your business uses employees to make deliveries, you might save money by hiring a courier service instead. How can you tell? In order to evaluate the cost, you need to consider how your current delivery system uses money in:
- Employee cost, including salary and time.
- Fuel for deliveries.
- Wear and tear on vehicles.
- Efficiency in getting product or service to your customer.
5 Reasons to Use Courier Services
1. Available 24/7
Many businesses need to have deliveries made outside of normal business hours, but that often requires that employees work overtime. With courier services, your business can offer deliveries at any hour of the day or night. This can enable many businesses to do their work more effectively, especially if they are in a 24 hour industry, like a factory or medical business.
2. Rush Emergency Deliveries
If you have pharmaceutical or medical supplies which need a rush delivery, a courier can get your items there immediately. These services are designed to handle emergency needs and are generally very customer-oriented. They know that the service they offer has to work for you or they can't keep your business.
3. Cheaper for Overnight Shipping
4. Avoid Lost Employee Work Time
Especially if you are in a major metropolitan area like L.A., Washington D.C., Houston, San Francisco, Dallas, Boston or another area with lots of traffic, a courier service makes sense. It relieves you of having to lose employee time to traffic and accidents or having to arrange employee schedules for delivering around regular traffic patterns. Moreover, you avoid the possibility of employees taking extra time while out of the office to do personal errands or take a run to lunch or Starbucks.
5. Save Fuel and Vehicle Cost
Although it may seem more cost effective to make your own deliveries, the employee time required, along with the vehicle cost and high gas prices quickly adds up. Frequently, businesses find they save a significant amount of money by hiring a courier service to do regular route deliveries for them.
6. Satisfy Your Customers Better
Couriers specialize in deliveries and their business depends on doing it right. That means your papers or product will get where it needs to go on time and unbroken. Making sure your customers know you have reliable deliveries and that you put their satisfaction as a priority is very valuable to retaining current customers and getting word of mouth recommendations.
Of course, nothing is perfect and so in deciding whether to hire a service for your deliveries, you will need to consider these cons:
- Scheduling: You will need to make sure that you have an employee designated to schedule the courier delivery and your employees will need to the take time to do that.
- Ease of Use: It might seem easier to run over to Mrs. Smith's desk and ask her to take those papers to the customer than it is to schedule the delivery service.
- Better for a Business with Many Deliveries: If you only have a few deliveries a week, a courier service may not be as useful. It might be easier to have someone run the delivery over before or after lunch.