Shopify vs Volusion
Shopify vs Volusion Overview
Shopify vs Volusion is one of the most debated topics when it comes to eCommerce software. Why? Because both shopping carts offer a reliable and efficient way to quickly get online and establish your online marketplace.
While Shopify has over 50,000 stores being hosted on their platform, Volusion has over 40,000. Volusion has been in business since 1999, while Shopify was launched in 2006 and still has more stores hosted.
Which Is The Better Shopping Cart?
Without a doubt, the answer is Volusion. Better marketing and SEO tools. With Volusion, you do not have to pay any transaction fees. However, there are bandwidth fees if you go over your monthly limit.
With Shopify, you end paying anywhere between 1% to 2% in transaction fees. Although, you can waive these fees if you choose one of their more expensive plans.
Do not get me wrong, both have some pretty good features and either one can be used to create your dream store. In terms of marketing, SEO, and payment gateways, Shopify outperforms Volusion. Payment gateways might not be a big deal, but marketing and search engine optimization tools are the key features you need to promote your store and attract customers.
Here is what both Shopify and Volusion offer:
- Discounts, coupons, promotions
- Free templates
- Bunch of payment gateways
- SEO tools (although Shopify has better tools)
- 24/7 customer support
- Customer management tools
- Fixed or real-time shipping
- One-page checkout
- Taxation system
- Social sharing integration
- Email marketing
- Reporting and conversion tools
- Mobile store
Here are additional features that only Shopify has:
- Free integrated blog (really good for SEO purposes)
- Free Stripe payment gateway (accept credit cards for free)
- More third-party applications
- Unlimited bandwidth (no hidden fees)
- More knowledgeable customer support
Plans and Pricing
When it comes to price, both of these shopping carts come very close to one another. Volusion has hidden bandwidth fees, while Shopify has transaction fees. However, with Shopify, you have the ability to waive transaction fees, if you go with a more expensive plan. Volusion has bandwidth fees, regardless of the plan you decide to go with.
- Shopify offers a no risk 14 day free trail. Plans start from $14 per month and entitles you to 25 products, 1 GB of storage, unlimited bandwidth, and 2% transaction fees.
- Volusion offers the same no risk 14 day free trail. Plans start from $15 per month and entitles you to 100 products, 1 GB data transfer, and no transaction fees.
As you can see, Volusion allows you to have 1 GB of data transfer for 100 products - basically if your products are popular, you will receive much more traffic and will go over your monthly bandwidth limits.
However, bandwidth fees are very minimal compared to transaction fees. At the end of the day, Volusion will end up costing you much less than Shopify.
When it comes to customer support, both have tons of guides and documentations that can be found in their knowledge bases. However, the human help and support is where we see a huge difference. Yes, both have a 24/7 customer support system, but Volusion has the worst help and support in the industry. You can end up waiting for hours to reach a representative and most of the time, they will not even answer your question.
On the other hand, Shopify has the best support team that is friendly and customer-oriented.
Pros and Cons
- Pros: Unlimited bandwidth, integrated blog, low price, free templates, customer support
- Cons: Transaction fees
- Pros: No transaction fees, low price, free templates
- Cons: Hidden bandwidth fees, horrible customer support
Which shopping cart is better in 2013?
In conclusion, Volusion is the better shopping cart. The only downside is that you have to pay bandwidth fees, if you go over your monthly bandwidth limit.
I would recommend Shopify for those that want to get online and selling quickly. Otherwise, but both shopping carts are really good to host your online store. Both are very affordable and have pretty cool features.
You can check out both shopping carts by following the links below.
- Ecommerce Software, Online Store Builder, Website Store Hosting Solution- Free 14 day Trial by Shopi
Shopify is a powerful ecommerce website solution that allows you to sell online by providing everything you need to create an online store. Try our free 14 day trial.
- Official Volusion Website