Simple steps to create the Brand “You”
Last night I went to a Grocery shop to purchase some household items. I was kept on picking my favorite, and suddenly it struck me why I am picking these particular “Brands”. It took me back to my B-School. A concept called “Top of Mind Awareness”. This particular brand had done so much of marketing and now I do not recall other names for the first few seconds.
The whole idea made me to think that can a person be branded and promoted. Yes, but why someone else will do it for you. Buckle your shoes and brand yourself. The primary plan will be “How I want myself to be known?” Once you find an answer to it, the rest is just a game.
The world be getting closer and the competition is intensifying. 50 years ago, you will not imagine spending millions of money to market your product. But it became a necessity today as our product has a global reach and so do our competition.
Now there is a brand called “YOU”. And this needs to be marketed seriously and effectively. It is not only the online branding but effort should be taken for “Branding Yourself” on a day to day life.
Here are some of the very simple techniques to build your brand: -
1. Networking: - Be it online on in your business community, networking will yield a very good mileage in branding yourself.
2. Niche Market: - Know your strengths, expertise. And work on that field so that at the end of the day, your brand rating goes up whenever the concerned area is under discussion.
3. Know your weakness: - This remembers the movie “The King’s Speech” where King George VI has to cope with the problem of stammering. The Trainer teaches muscle relaxation and breathes control techniques. So once you know them (weakness), work upon it to improve.
4. Marketing: Nowadays it’s not uncommon or difficult to blog or hub in the internet. A website of your own can boost things further. It is important to have an online identity or branding in order to increase your reach.
5. Name: It is the sweetest thing to your ears. Use your name wherever possible to increase your brand value.
The subject of Personal Branding dates back to centuries, but the internet and intensifying competition has accelerated it. There are lots of researches and surveys are being conducted in this field and we can look forward for some great findings.
At the same time, one should not think that the Brand You” will not: -
6. Make you famous: Ultimately it will. But being famous and branding “You” are completely different things.
7. Achieve your goals: Branding will only fuel your efforts but it is your hard work and plans which will fetch you the goal.
8. Cover up your weakness: Weakness is bound to be exposed, but a good brand handles it well. Let me take same example “The King’s Speech”. Whenever King George VI used to stammer (weakness), he used to pause for a while and continue.
To conclude, I just remember what I read few days ago. The Brand “YOU” will only succeed if you really deserve it.