How to Start Your Own Cookie Business From Home
Do you enjoy baking? Would you like the freedom of working from home or working for yourself in a small bakery of your own? If so, you might want to start your own cookie business. You can start as a home-based business or work from a small location near your home, setting your own hours and making your own decisions about what products to carry. You can indulge in the creativity that comes with baking while reaping the benefits of working for yourself. And when you start your own cookie business, you invest in the opportunity for unforeseeable growth in your income and passion for your work.
Of course, you'll need to make a lot of decisions before you can start your own cookie business. Some of the things that you will want to decide are:
- Where the cookie business will be based. Are you going to be based from your own home or from an out-of-home location? Are you going to sell items through the web? In either case, what kind of permits will you need to be allowed to start your own cookie business in this location?
- What is your niche? You can start a general cookie business but you'll be better off if you find a niche. This may be in unique packaging of your cookies. It may also be in unique ingredients, cookie shapes or decoration. It may even be simply in the marketing. Find a way to set yourself apart from the competition before you even start your own cookie business and you're more likely to succeed.
- What kind of start-up capital will you need to start your own cookie business? How will you get it? You may need to buy baking materials, pay for marketing and hire an employee or two. Or you may have what you need. Look realistically at the financial aspect before you start your own cookie business.
- What are you goals? Set one month, six month, one year and five year goals so that you have an idea of what you really want to do with your cookie business.
Once you have made some of these important decisions and decided that you are ready to move forward and start your own cookie business, here are some of the first steps that you'll need to take:
- Take care of the legalities. You need business permits and tax information so get it before you start your cookie business.
- Set up a website. Whether or not you're selling items online, you'll need a website for marketing. If you're catering to a national clientele, make sure that the site is search engine optimized to turn up when people search for cookies online. Include contact information, ordering information and some fun stuff for your customers to enjoy on your site.
- Create your product list. You can always add new cookies to the list or offer specials but you should have a base of standard cookies that are your major product. Set your prices and get good photos for marketing purposes.
- Spread the word. People need to know that you have a cookie business. Direct marketing through email and cold calling, getting and passing out business cards and attending networking events are all common ways of spreading the word. You may also want to begin networking with local grocery stores and specialty food stores to see if you can get your cookies - or at least your new brochures - placed at their location. Most importantly, however, you will need to do online marketing. If you aren't sure why this is so important, there's a great article by a Cyprus Web Design firm called "How Can Online Marketing Help My Website?" that will help explain it to you.
It isn't hard to start a cookie business. And it's a career that can be rewarding; you may earn a good income or at least get the flexibility of working from home while supporting yourself. But you'll need to take it seriously and consider all of the factors involved before you start your own cookie business. That's just how the cookie crumbles!