Success In Business, Silently, Quietly, Powerfully
Many business owners very much want to know how they can achieve success. The problem is there is no "one-size-fit-all" formula that can be applied for all the types of business. You should learn the general principles and apply them suitably to your type of business.
As a business person, the first thing you should do is to come out of your routine-day mentality and have a long-term vision. If you are caught in the routine-day mentality, you will be caught unawares when an obstacle comes up suddenly. The main point that is being stressed here is that you should know how you generally react to every situation and this is the basis for further growth and for achieving personal success. The following few points may be borne in mind for becoming a successful business owner.
- You should not be like many business owners who allow things to happen and then react to them. This is not the right way to reach your goal. You must be proactive and this is the smartest way to avoid obstacles. Reacting is the quality of animals and if you follow such animal instincts, there will be a lot of stress and tension in your business life.
- The next big mistake is to gang up with ordinary groups. These masses will not allow you to be unique. If you taste the comfort of being one among the masses, you can not achieve big success in your business. Then, treading a unique path will become difficult for you. You may have great ideas but since you have become accustomed to live in the "comfort zone", you hesitate to try the new ideas. The problem is that if you discuss these new ideas with these ordinary groups, you will be heckled and discouraged. So, to transform your life, become unique and achieve extraordinary success, you should break away from such groups.
- You must learn to think big. As the saying goes, it is better to hunt a lion and fail than to hunt a hare and succeed. You should aim for bigger things. If you plan carefully and execute the plan rightly, there need not be any fear of failure.
- Hesitation is another bad quality that blocks your way to succeed in your business. You should take firm steps. There is no need to panic if you have planned carefully. You may face obstacles but you should have smart back-up plans to surmount these obstacles. If you take firm steps decisively, you are sure to succeed quickly.
- You must adopt a disciplined approach in your business. The action you take should be congruent with your plans and if they are taken in a systematic manner, everything will fall in place and you can see good results for your efforts. You must take focused action to reach your goal.
- Every experience will teach a valuable lesson for you. Even if you have a minor failure, you must learn from it. Your practical knowledge thus increases. But, you should not repeat the mistake again. When you face new situations, you may make a few wrong decisions but they should be viewed as learning experiences. Every failure has a kernel of opportunity in it.
-Management gurus prefer to use the word "response" rather than the word "react". You should respond to situations but not react. Response is nothing but evaluating a situation, weighing various options available and take the best possible step. In the case of reacting, you do not evaluate the options available and so, there is a lot of scope for errors.
- Endeavoring continuously for improving yourself is the key to success in business. You must keep abreast of various innovations that take place in your line of activity. You must keep learning things to improve your systems or your working style. Your aim should be to attend to all the aspects of your business and making consistent efforts to improve them. Your personal improvement should form a part of this.
- Continuous and periodical reviews of the situations should be made and this will help you to make appropriate corrections or modifications wherever necessary. You must be open to making the right changes. But, at the same time, changes and modifications should not be made frequently. You should allow time for the steps to work. If you make frequent changes, you may lose some very good results that may have happened.
- You must understand the value of time. Time is the most important non-recyclable resource. You should utilize it with utmost discipline. You should spend every minute focusing on things that may take you further on the path of success. You need not feel guilty if you have wasted your time till now. You can start the process even now. There can not be a better time than NOW.
The above steps are not exhaustive but they are quite important. If you start adopting them, you can put yourself firmly on the path to success.