The Benefits Of Hiring An Interim Marketing Director For Your Business
An interim marketing director is a marketing expert to whom you can outsource your company’s marketing either on a short- or long-term basis. There are usually two main reasons for hiring one of these: the first is when your business is struggling and your current marketing strategy doesn’t seem to be working; the second is if your current marketing manager is leaving and you need to hire somebody in the meantime to fill the gap and possibly help you choose a new one as well.
Whichever of these best describes your situation, here are some of the benefits of hiring an interim marketing director:
- Fresh Perspective: If your company’s marketing strategy has become a little stale or isn’t delivering the goods then sometimes bringing in someone from outside to shake things up can be just what’s needed. If you hire the right person they can really set you off in a new direction by identifying where you’re going wrong and where you strengths lie.
- Flexibility: If you don’t know if your company even needs a full-time marketing manager, or if you’re undecided about who to hire full-time then bringing somebody in as and when you need them can be the ideal solution. Not only will this be cheaper, it also doesn’t tie you down to any one particular path.
- Networking Opportunities: Most interim directors with experience will have a strong network of industry contacts, which could prove invaluable to your company when it comes to achieving positive growth.
- Professionalism: Normally, when you hire a new head of marketing they will take time to settle into the position and make changes. But an interim director is slightly different: they need to produce results in a short space of time so they have to hit the ground running. If you need to implement a new marketing strategy quickly, whether because of flagging sales or a new product launch, this is a sensible option to take.
Now you have learned about the benefits of hiring an interim marketing director you may well be thinking this is the option for you. So how do you go about choosing the right one to fit your company’s needs? Here are a couple of things to remember:
- Identify Your Needs: Before you can go and interview potential interim marketing directors you should have first worked out exactly what is required and what you want to achieve. If you don’t then there is no way you can have a useful discussion with them and you may well end up hiring the wrong person. After all, as with any profession marketing experts will often focus on specialist areas.
- Do Your Research: You need to know that the interim provider you are hiring has a solid professional background. To do this, look into their history and if possible speak to previous clients to find out how happy they were with the service they received? Did they produce noticeable results during their time at the company?
- Charges: When you’re interviewing potential candidates, make sure you find out how much they charge for their services up-front and that there will be no extra charges later on. Whilst cost shouldn’t be your only deciding factor, you don’t want to end up paying more than they are bringing in for you.