The Hart Centre Project (regeneration of the Granada Cinema, Maidstone)
The Granada Cinema....2013
The Hart Centre Project
The Hart Centre Project is a community-driven initiative with an aim to bring the former Granada Cinema back to life in Maidstone and with plans to develop it into an exhilarant new creative arts hub in the centre of Maidstone.
The aim is to bring the cinema back to it's rightful cultural place in the County Town of Kent and to nurture new creative talents...whilst creating employment and a sense of pride within the local community.
Would you like to be a part of the new Hart Centre Project?
Plans for the project so far include:
- An independent self-sufficient cinema
- A contemporary multi-function performance area
- A new-fashioned, up-to-the-minute bistro
- A Gallery area
- A bar and coffee-shop
- Retail space...permanent and temporary
- Recording studios and other music facilities (rehearsal space etc)
- Space for creative businesses to grow and prosper
- Training and employment schemes for unemployed young people
- Project room for meetings and training
Other aims for the Hart Centre Project include:
- Film, music, arts, performances etc
- Interactive community projects
- Opportunities for shopping
- Employment and training
- Backing for creative businesses in Maidstone and the surrounding areas
- The pride of the community for our diverse and creative County Town
The Hart Centre will be owned and run by the local community. It is a non-exclusive project headed by Jason...who has vast and very successful experience in this field of work.
Finance will come from income streams including grant funding, community shares, trading income, advertising, sponsorship, membership fees, community shares etc
The focus is on entertainment and the encouragement of local talent and if anyone has any ideas please comment below...because it is very much a community project and all views, comments and ideas will be taken into account and...hopefully...acted upon
All updates will be posted here. The first meeting...chaired by Jason...was on Wednesday 7th August 2013. Minutes of the very successful meeting were taken by Charlotte Gardner and will be posted here...as will all further minutes of meetings.
The next Hart Centre Project meeting will be at 7pm on 21st August at Kent House and will be to allocate volunteer roles on the Project Team. If you volunteered before....we'd love to see you there. All newcomers are welcome.
Any ideas...please put them in comments below.
Thanks for reading this....please come back and see updates and do get involved in this wonderful community issue. You are most welcome
The link below is for the Hart Centre Project facebook page
The Hart Centre Project (on FaceBook)
The link below is for the forum for ideas for the project.....in which anyone can post their suggestions