How to Set-Up Your Tutorial Business Place
How to make the tables and chairs:
Materials for the table
- ½ inch plywood
- Formica (this is good because you can choose the color you want for the table)
- 2x2 lumber
- Aluminum edge
How to do it:
- Cut the plywood according to your desired size. You can even use the whole plywood to make a wide table or to make it better, cut it into two so that you will have two tables.
- Do not make the table too high for the children. It must be lower than the standard height of the dining table since the kids will be using it to work on.
- Finish the table with Formica top then put the aluminum edge to make the rough sides safe for the kids. The good thing about Formica top table is that, it is smooth and easy to clean.
- The carpenter will take care of the job of course but you have to explain what you want.
The same applies to the chairs. If you want sturdy and steady chairs, you can let also someone make the chairs for you. Your choice of materials is also important here. You have to use good lumber and thicker sizes.
Paint the tables and chairs when done.
Don’t worry, these are long time investments.
How will you set up your tutorial place?
Once you are set to go with your tutorial business, you must arrange it in such a way that your students will feel comfortable. The materials you use like tables and chairs are important.
Here are some tips to consider when setting up your tutorial center.
- Choice of Materials
- When choosing materials for your tutorial center make sure that you buy the cheap but sturdy chairs and tables. Children are very active people. Sometimes they can’t stop moving on their chairs, so they need sturdy chairs to sit on.
- The table should also be sturdy and steady. As much as possible, avoid buying the plastic tables that are light and easy to knock down in order to avoid accidents.
Our tables and chairs are not the commercial ones. Once we tried using the plastic chairs and tables and we had a hard time letting them stay steady. The children even complained that the table was always moving.
So what we did was to hire a carpenter to make the chairs and table.
You too can follow this method. Aside from making sure the materials are good, they are way cheaper that the commercial ones.
2. Setting up the Room
- Now that the tables and chairs are ready, you can now set your tutorial room in such a way that your students will be comfortable.
- In our tutorial room, we have one long table that is wide enough to make space at the middle for putting books.
- The set up is like this.
- There are two teachers in one table. One in each long side of the table. The purpose here is so that you can sit beside two students at a time.
- You can tutor 4 children at a time per session with this set up without standing. Standing will distract the children from their work so as much as possible, you and the children should sit and work together.
- Let the slower students sit beside you so that you can closely monitor their work.
Arrange your table this way:
3. Session Schedule
- The schedule depends upon your students. In our case, we are tutoring students from the same school so we start at:
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm – Prep/Kinder/Nursery
2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Grade 1/Grade 2
3:00 pm – 4:00 pm – Grade 3/Grade 4
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm – Grade 5/ Grade 6
6:00 pm – onward – special tutors
Buy your materials here
- We call them special tutors because they are either students who are slow readers who want reading enhancement or they are students who need special help.
- For slow learners, they need extra time to do their activity sheets so we allow some extra time for them.
The set up of your tutorial place is as important as your tutorial program. You have to make sure that the students are all accommodated. The arrangement of the tables and chairs makes it easier for you and your students to communicate easier and better.
If you use the single chairs with armchair like those in the classroom, it would be harder to monitor the student’s activities. You need to move around and see what each student is doing. If you all sit in one table, then it would be easier to supervise the children.
There is no set arrangement of a tutorial place so you can do whatever arrangement you like.
- What to Invest in a Home Tutorial Business
Home tutorial business is easy to start specially if it is home-based business. The problem is the maintenance. You need some investment if you want to achieve success.
- How to Start a Tutorial Business in the Philippines
Tutoring is a booming business in the Philippines. It is easy to start one if you know the ins and outs of teaching as well as how to handle young kids. Read the tips that I will share with you.
- Tutorial Business in the Philippines and 6 Factors to Consider
Although starting a tutorial business in the Philippines is easy, you don't always expect it to materialize. There are many factors to consider and work on. You must always be ready to face the worst.
4. Activity Sheets
- Once you have set up your tutorial place you have to consider the activity sheets too that you will let the students work on.
- Prepare the activity sheets in advance. Of course this is based from the lessons of the students.
- In our case, I prepare the paper works at night once we are home. It is easier to handle paper works when you use the computer and save them. This will lessen your typing job since you can make as many copies as your students need.
- Remember to always check the diary of the students and their notebooks and books. You will base the activity sheets from these.
- During periodical examination, I start preparing worksheets two weeks advance. While waiting for the pointers to review, I base the reviewer from the earlier lessons then finalize the worksheets once the pointers to review are given.
You learn many things as you go but the important thing is you have some guides to follow.