Economy and Jobs in Hillsborough, Bing Crosby's Hometown
Famous Suburbs of San Francisco
This town was named by Money Magazine as one of the best small towns in which to live in America from 2011 to the present. Popular singer Bing Crosby liked living here very much and his estate in Hillsborough is popular today with visitors.
Hillsborough is located in the Hillsborough - Burlingame Metro Area of San Mateo County. In a related article posted soon after the favorite singer's death in October 1977, the Crosby Estate was said to be more like a US National Park and Museum than a home.
Bing Crosby Estate
*Some sources give the address as 1200 Jackling
Foster City in 3/2011 is the home to many open positions in the field of Bioinformatics. The city is within five miles of Hillsborough.
Thousands of fans and vacationers must have trooped through the home and grounds, ecstatic to see the mementos in 1998 during the Decorator's Show House event. This occurred 20+ years after Mr. Crosby's death in 1977 - the year that the first Star Wars movie was released.
The link to a related news story is available below and the story looks as if it has become a classic piece of journalism (and 11 pages long). HubPages member and journalist William F. Torpey is an expert in Bing Crosby information and you'll want to visit his Hubs on Bing as well.
The Burlingame Historical Society maintains a useful website that includes a number of messages on a forum about Bing Crosby. Some of the happiest memories of people posting to the forum are of their days as children at Halloween, going to the Estate and receiving full-sized candy bars as treats. Other folks saw him at the corner grocery or out walking - or were the subjects of his practical jokes. The link is below and it is a fun site to visit.
Chateau Carolands (www.carolands.org/ ) resides on the National Register of Historic Places. Like Bing Crosby's estate in Hillsborough, the Carolands is an example of modeling along the lines of a French chateau. The mansion was commissioned by members of the famous Pullman family, connected with the historic Pullman train car in American railroading history. An accompanying book and film mark the preservation work ongoing of the house, grounds, and waterscape.
A staircase inside the home has become a famous and popular wall poster. Built around the time of World War I, the mansion is depicted in black and white shots around the Internet that state photos were done in the later 1980s, but the quality is more like old newspaper prints, possibly copyrighted by San Francisco news services. TIME magazine did an historic photo layout and story in the mansion and grounds as well.
The property changed hands several times, hit upon financial disasters more than once, and even was involved with racketeers. It is an interesting and beautiful place to visit.
The mansion was commissioned by members of the famous Pullman family, connected with the historic Pullman train car in American railroading history. The photography int his book causes one to return to it many times and the use of the spectacular original house plans includes many as foldouts. Few books can rival this overall work.
- Coyote Point Recreation Area: Park, recreation areas, and museum. /parks.smcgov.org/coyote-point-recreation-area
- Earth Day: Hillsborough encourages residents and visitors to celebrate Earth Day every day of the year with sustainable efforts and lifestyles.
- Hillsborough Parade: An annual Memorial Day Parade is held on the Monday of that holiday weekend, ending with a party of family entertainment and food. The year 2011 is the 101st anniversary of the town, with special events and displays accompanying the parade to celebrate its 100th year (2010 - 2011).
- Mass Transit - CalTrain - By the Pez Store and Museum in Burlingame. Buses operated by SAMTRANS on the El Camino Real.
- Sky Farm Hermitage of Peace: Personal retreats available among the Hermit Monks and Cloistered Nuns associated with traditions of private prayer, solitude, and appreciation of beauty and nature. Contact: email@example.com
Local Economy: Wealth in Hillsborough
The Bing Crosby Estate in Hillsborough is still owned by his second wife, Kathryn. It was was opened only once in 1998 and has not been publicly reopened for tours, although it might reach the fame accorded to Elvis Presley's Graceland, if given a chance. The three acres and home were furnished as a memorial and living museum of the family's life and for now, are reserved for family enjoyment.
In 2008, Business Week found the following economic data for nearby homes and families in Hillsborough:
- Average Net Worth: $1,668,732; increasing slightly from 2000 too 2008.
- Average Income: $300,943.
Changing Housing Market
Summer 2011 Housing Market:
- 121 homes and mansions for sale ranging from $29 Million for a 9 bedroom, 11.5 bath home to $5.5 Million for 5 bedrooms and 6.5 baths. (References: Zillow, Trulia, and Sperling's)
Late 2016 Housing Market:
- Total of 48 homes for sale, ranging from $2.5 to $34 Million and 4 to 10 bedrooms.
- Median Home List Price: $4.8 Million.
- Median Overall Home Value: About $1.0 to 1.5 Million.
Jobs, Internships and Training
Summer Intern Positions in Foster City Near Hillsborough
Summer Internships Available at Gilead:
This is a full-time paid internship, but one that does not include company benefits. It is in the Gilead HCV Biology Group, where interns work alongside skilled research scientists. Interns in this particular position work in a laboratory and help develop biochemical and cell-based assays for a drug development project to fight a "novel viral target." Other internships become available every year.
Summer Internships in are also available with the following companies, all within a 25-mile radius of Hillsborough CA. Bio-tech and IT related positions are increasing yearly.
- VMWare - Software and related
- Kaiser Permanente - Health and medical
- Genentech - Drug development
- NetApp - IT data management
- AT&T - Telecommunications
- Galileo Learning - Education
- Roche-GB - Health and medical
- Yahoo! Inc.
- Broadcom Corporation - IT/Telecommunications
- Autodesk - 3D design software
- Sony Computer Entertainment
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
- Software Engineers
- Senior Software Engineers
- Product Managers in IT
- Project Managers in IT
- Java Developers: Software Developers
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Web Developers
- Administrative Assistants
- Account Executives in Finance, investments
- Sales Engineers in IT
Top Hiring Employers
- Kaiser Permanente Health and Medical Centers
- Contra Costa Community Colleges
- Centerline Drivers, LLC: Trucking and Freight
- Stanford University and its Healthcare/Med Center
- University of California in San Francisco
- University of California in Berkeley
- Sutter Health: Health and Medical Services in Berkeley and San Mateo
- Oracle: Information Technology
- Deloitte: Accounting, Information Technology
- GOOGLE, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo
Higher Education and Training for Area Jobs
- California College of ECE | ECE Curriculum & Training Program
Start your career in early childhood education. California College of ECE's program help's you hit the ground running with your ECE career.
- College of San Mateo
CSM is a gateway to higher education leading to university transfer, career preparation and advancement, and professional and personal development.
- LVN program | LPN program | Medical Training | Healthcare Training Program | Medical Training School
Gurnick Academy offers medical and healthcare training. Our medical training school has healthcare programs like LVN, ultrasound medical sonography, MRI, DMS, radiology technology, psychiatric technician and phlebotomy, with the best of training faci
- Notre Dame de Namur University | Opening Doors. Engaging Minds.
NDNU is a Catholic, not-for-profit, coeducational institution serving 2,000 traditional aged and adult students from diverse backgrounds.
- Samuel Merritt University
Samuel Merritt University (SMU) is a fully accredited health sciences institution located in Oakland, California with campuses across the Bay Area including San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Mateo. Samuel Merritt University, formerly Samuel Merritt
© 2011 Patty Inglish