Summerlin South, Fastest Growing City in Nevada
Summerlin Spreads to the South and West
BusinessWeek named Summerlin South the fastest growing city in Nevada for 2010 and it has continued to grow quickly through the early 2020s. While this growing community is unincorporated, it is part of a trio of successful planned communities begun by Howard Hughes back in the mid-20th century.
Summerlin South contains several smaller villages that include The Gardens, Mesa, Ridgewood, Summerlin Centre, Ridgebrook, The Ridges, and The Willows. The community begins at the Las Vegas city limits, east of Route 159 and encompasses these seven villages.
Part of each Summerlin planned community (North, South, and West) features upscale retirement living. In fact, more retirees move to this part of Nevada than into the rest of the state combined.
Younger families are also moving in, along with new businesses. Summerlin South is the most popular of the three sister communities.
Clark County Progress
This Summerlin communitiy's housing developments are governed by its homeowners association, the South Community Association, but is officially overseen by the Clark County Commissioners.
The village's real estate division reported that the population increased from around 3,700 in 2000 to over 25,000 by the summer of 2017. BusinessWeek previously reported a population increase of 664% from 2000 to 2010.
The community offers many recreation facilities, its large Grand Ballroom, and a full golf course, as well as other attractions. residents need to have a community ID card.
Recreation and Green Space
The North, South, and West villages share over 20 parks that are designed for relaxing, recreation, and specific sports activities. In fact, Howard Hughes Corp. found that the hiking and biking trails within these parks make a key point for selling residential properties early on.
One of the larger green venues is Gardens Park, with basketball and tennis courts, a roller hockey rink, a sand (beach) volleyball lot, children’s areas, horseshoe pits, and bocce ball and shuffleboard areas. The Gardens Community Center offers a year-around menu of classes and programs.
Other parks house baseball fields or outdoor barbecue grills, some having hiking and bike trails. Willows Park maintains a swimming pool for residents.
- TPC Summerlin Golf: This complex hosts the annual Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open golf tournament.
- Spring Mountain Ranch State Park is located southwest of Summerlin South, across Route 159 and inside of the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Several people owned the ranch, but one was the personality behind "Lum" of the "Lum and Abner" radio show of the 1940s. This was Mr. Chet Lauck, who named the ranch The Bar Nothing. He started a boy's camp with his family, built Lake Harriet for his wife, raised cattle, and built a small hydroelectric power plant called Boulder Dam, Jr.
Natural Sites to Visit
Super Summer Theater is held here throughout the summer months.
Jobs Increasing with Residential Growth
A job search within a 25 mile radius of the center of the village has yielded a consistent 13,000 openings from 2013 through 2017.
The hotel resort industry headlined by MGM Resorts, automotive parts and service, and grocery stores are thriving. Healthcare centers are expanding, and the aerospace industry has gained traction west of Las Vegas.
Top Job Listers for the Summerlin Area
- MGM Mirage Hotel and MGM Resorts International: Hotel amenities, dining, live entertainment, tours, gaming opportunities.
- Albertsons Grocery Stores; Sprouts Farmers Markets; Smith Food and Drug; El Super
- Pep Boys Auto: As the population increases, the number of vehicles also increases dramatically in this area.
- Caesars Entertainment
- UnitedHealthCare: Insurance
- Heartland Automotive
- University of Nevada at Las Vegas
- Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center
- Summerlin Hospital Medical Center: See highlights below.
- Bigelow Aerospace LLC.
Popular Healthcare Systems Employers
- Desert Springs Hospital - Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center earned the Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers and Diabetes Care from The Joint Commission, and Accreditation as a recognized Chest Pain facility. Senior Advantage is their ongoing health and wellness program for active 55+ people.
- Mountain View Hospital - A local acute-care hospital pf the Sunrise hospital system in nearby Las Vegas. Very high-tech, the hospital ER will provide current waiting times for service if you text "ER" to 23000. The facility is very interested in Alzheimer's research and presents lecture open to the public on this and other topics.
- Summerlin Hospital Medical Center and Cancer Institute of Nevada - Summerlin Hospital is a For-Profit company owned by Universal Health Services, a top job lister for openings in Summerlin communities. For jobs openings specially at these facilities, see Summerlin Hospital Medical Center Jobs offered at RecruitingNevada.com
- SimplyHired news and job listings, 2010 - 2021.
- Sperlings Best Places: Summerlin South, Nevada. bestplaces.net/city/nevada/summerlin_south Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Spring Valley Chamber of Commerce. www.springvalleychamber.com/ Retrieved June 26, 2017.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS