Work in America's Safest Cities - Colonie NY
America's Safest Cities
Among the Top 10 Safest Cities of over 75,000 residents in America during 2009 through 2013 is the Town of Colonie, New York, according to Information Please and CQ Press.
The yearly safest and most-dangerous city rankings are derived from population statistics and crime data at the FBI. Certain criminologists and a group of personnel at the FBI warn against using this information for city rankings, while some city representatives feel that their hometowns are even safer than the ranking suggest.
One consensus, however, is that everybody in the country wants American cities to be as safe as possible. Colonie is safe in terms of numbers and types of crimes committed yearly and the quality of its emergency services.
The CQ Press: Safe Cities and Other Data
- CQ Press: An Independent Publisher
Advancing Democracy by Informing Citizens. Bookstore
City sources report that "Colonie" means in Dutch "the settlement outside the city" and that is just what Colonie NY is. The town is a northwestern suburb of the larger Albany and is comprised of the villages of Colonie and Menands.
Colonie as a town has always been in the center of a Transportation Corridor that began with animal travel-ways, followed by Eastern Woodlands Native Americans that cut North-South and East-West trails through the land.
Many points beside the Mohawk River in and around Colonie proved easy to cross and native settlements grew along the river before European settlers arrived. Unfortunately, these same trails were used for war during the French & Indian Wars and the American Revolution. If you have a chance, enjoy the classic film or book Drums Along the Mohawk.
Mohawk River Canal Region
Wagons, horses, and canals followed Indian Trails through Colonie and along the Mohawk River after settlers first arrived. The railroads followed, then highways and the local Albany International Airport nearby.
Canal Towpath History-- Colonie established a community pocket park on the south bank of the beautiful Mohawk River, east of the Route 9 Bridge spanning the river. It offers an information kiosk that describes the original Erie Canal aqueduct of 1825, the larger Erie Canal aqueduct of 1842, and a three bridges at the location. The town has a few pocket parks and larger parks for recreation and relaxation,
An area of land on the riverfront in Colonie is under initial construction for revitalization that will being new residences and businesses to the riverfront as well as new attractions for visitors. Improvements in the waterfront and local roads will help to make the villages even safer with increased activity, but also increased law enforcement patrols and community awareness projects. Safety is a priority in all local schools, government offices, and businesses.
Local NY State Highways in the town include Route 5, Route 7, Route 9, and the I-87 Northway. In addition, residents have easy access to I-90, I-787, and I-88, the New York State Thruway, and an Amtrak Train Station.
- Colonie Center: 1417 Central Ave, NY, 12205. Colonie Center is an upscale shopping destination with all the best retail stores in a place where you can enjoy shopping with your family and friends.
- Colonie's Save the Farm: Glynwood's mission is to help communities in the Northeast save farming. We work at the intersection of the needs of communities and the opportunities available to farmers and landowners. Our unique niche is to empower communities to support farming
- Colonie Veterans Project: The goal of the Colonie Veterans Project is to honor the town's veterans for their courage and sacrifice and educating the general public.
- Special Activities for Seniors
- Watervliet Shaker Historic District and Trail: National Register of Historic Places. This is the site of the first Shaker community gathered in America in 1774 by immigrants.
Watervliet Shaker National Historic District Photos at the Library of Congress:
Local Native Americans
The Dutch reportedly made good neighbors for two Native American Nations on opposite sides of the Mohawk River in the 1600s. However, the Mohawks on one side of the river and the Mohegans on the other waged war with each other over land lownership. The Mohegans wanted more land.
The commander of Fort Orange helped the Mohegans, in violation of a treaty; and to help the Mohawks, others of the Iroquois Six Nations arrived. Overwhelmed and their commander killed, the Dutch recognized the Mohawk deed as lands awarded by the treaty and moved out in 1626 to New Amsterdam.
- Bryant & Stratton College
- Technical School in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut | Branford Hall Career Institute
Branford Hall Career Institute offers technical schools in New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut that have several career programs available for you!
- University at Albany - SUNY
Educationally and culturally, the University at Albany-SUNY puts The World Within Reach for its 18,000 students. An internationally recognized research university with 56 undergraduate majors and 128 graduate degree programs, UAlbany is a leader amon
Local Employment: Number of Jobs Available
During 4th QTR 2013, the Town of Colonie included about 80,000 residents and 28,000 job listings within a radius of 25 miles for approximately 3,200 unemployed adults ages 18 - 64. These jobs are avaiable to residents of nearby Albany as well.
Leading economic sectors in the Town of Colonie in the 2000s have been Sales, Office, and Professional Services, especially Healthcare Services. In the 2010s, a trend toward increases in Medical Professions is noticeable, mirroring Federal,State, and Local forescasts for high demand jobs nationwide from 2010 to 2020.
Top Companies Advertising Jobs Consistently
- Albany Medical Center. This is a top place to find Medical Scientist jobs
- GE Corporate: Top company for Biochemists.
- GE Energy: Also a respected place for Biochemist Jobs
- Dentalworkers Company
- Regeneration Pharmaceuticals
- NTT Data
- Swift Transportation
- Citizens Financial Group
- Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
Jobs Consistently Needing the Most Workers
- Engineers in IT and others fields
- Truck and School Bus Drivers
- Warehousing jobs
- Dental Assistants
- General Dentists and Dental Hygienists
- Registered Nurses (RN license)
- Business Analysts
- Lab Technicians and other Health Techs
- Solar Sales Representatives
- Project Managers in several career fields.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS