Ann Arbor, Football Rival of The Ohio State Buckeyes
High Tech Growth in Ann Arbor
Livingstone and Washtenaw Counties make up the Greater Ann Arbor Area, a growing region in technologies and retail stores in Michigan and home to the University of Michigan Wolverines.
Ann Arbor is famous a for college football rivalries, based ion the old Toledo War and competition for a narrow strip of land between two states.
One major rivalry is between U of M and The Ohio State University and is decades long, a lot of fun, and pretty intense. This particular rivalry is so intense that some non-football fans even get involved, sometimes in a negative way..
The yearly Michigan (blue and gold) - OSU (scarlet and gray) football game brings war back to both states, which alternate sites in Ann Arbor and Columbus.
I have witnessed fans and others destroying dark blue cars around Buckeye Horseshoe Stadium. While driving by the university in Ann Arbor in a red car, I've been run off the road by Michigan drivers a number of times. I hope this stops.
Historic Michigan Theater
University of Michigan is Growing Local Businesses
Speaking of U of M, Sakti3 is an incubated business from the campus-business cooperation and is led by professor Ann Marie Sastry. She and Sakti3 plan to invest $1.1 million in the business and hire around 115 or more workers.
This new company seeks to commercialize a manufacturing process in Ann Arbor to develop high-power batteries that will withstand tough automotive use. they will be used primarily in eco-friendly electric vehicles. One such battery is planned to be a lithium ion battery for the Volt auto.
Another strong company is led by U of M graduate Bob Cell. This company is MyBuys retailing. MyBuys produces personalized product recommendations to their customers of online retailers, like a Personal Shopper. The MyBuys first office in Ann Arbor includes investments of over $5.4 million and needs to complete hiring got a total of 250 workers initially, with more to be added.
Museums Near Michigan Theater
Friends and Rivals in Business
The famous rivalry between OSU and Michigan was traced back to a feud from way back in 1835. At this time, the State of Ohio and the Michigan Territory fought a battle (no casualties) over a border dispute called the Toledo War. Yes! - Both sides wanted Toledo and the surrounding areas, likely because the land is near transportation waterways good for business.
Many people think that this border conflict led to the big college football rivalry today. Sports are based on war, we know.
The first RIVAL game between Ohio State and Michigan was played at Ann Arbor in 1897 and won by the U of M Wolverines, who blasted the OSU Buckeyes, 34-0.
In 2003, a US House of Representatives put forth a Resolution to recognize this long standing rivalry as the greatest rivalry in sports history.
Travel, Tourism, Accommodations, Food Service, Retail and other industries' businesses have boomed in both Ann Arbor MI and Columbus OH, because of this great rivalry.
Ann Arbor Is a Busy International Transportation Hub
Ann Arbor Higher Education
- Cleary University
- Concordia University
- Eastern Michigan University
- The University of Michigan
- Washtenaw Community College
- Ave Maria School of Law
Descriptions of these schools and their programs can be found at Arbor Web arborweb.com/collegesindex.html.
Sports in Ann Arbor
Besides the Michigan Wolverines, Arbor Web also lists dozens of leagues, casual teams, and individual sports in a comprehensive site. The choices are overwhelming in Ann Arbor.
See Arbor Web above for area for attractions, including over 50 lakes.
Best Ann Arbor Companies and Jobs
The Number One Largest Employer in Ann Arbor and also in Michigan as a state is The University of Michigan; the link takes you to their employment page. Other of the Largest Ann Arbor Area Employers include;
- The Audiology Div. of the U of M
- The U of M Medical School
- TRW Chassis Systems - autos
- St. Joseph Mercy Health System
- Veterans Administration Hospital
Famous Company HQ in Washtenaw County
- Borders Group, Inc. (books)
- Domino's Pizza
- Google AdWords
- ProQuest - knowledge
Fastest Growing Jobs
- Truck Drivers, CDL
- Public Relations Managers and Specialists
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts and Administrators
- Training & Development Managers
- Dentists and Dental Assistants
- College Level Foreign Language, Literature, Voc-Ed Teachers
- Medical Assistants and Physician Assistants, including Nurse Practitioners
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Home Health Aides [HHAs]
- Environmental Engineers
Highest Demand Jobs Titles
- Truck Drivers having a CDL and Owner-Operator Truck Drivers
- Retail Sales, including Health Insurance and Financial Products
- Program Managers: IT and Other Engineering
- Caregivers; Physician Assistants; Medical Assistants
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Patient Care Techs and Patient Services workers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- University of Michigan jobs: See www.umich.edu.
- Food Service and Grocery
- Pharmacy Technicians
MichiganWorks!™ No Worker Left Behind.- GREEN JOBS INITIATIVE
- Ann Arbor Area Clean Energy Coalition
- Center for Sustainability at Aquinas College
- Energizing Michigan's Economy - Environment Michigan
- Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology
- Millennium Project: The Energy Wars: Some Lessons Learned - Ann Arbor Power Technology Institute
MichiganWorks! Provides 5 separate offices in the 2-county area to assist with employment needs. These offices also offer assistance and connections with childcare, transportation, and dozens of training facilities and other services in this area of the state at www.michiganworks.org/.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS