- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
El Paso, Texas for Jobs and Business
Top Growing City After the Great Recession
El Paso has become the 4th largest city in Texas and 6th in the state for employers that post the most openings across Internet job search engines. In 2013, the city became the 11th most successful place of growth for population and jobs after the Recession of 2008 - 2010.
ISS Night Photo of El Paso and Cuidad JuarezClick thumbnail to view full-size
Jobs Increase 2009 - 2020
El Paso enjoyed this upswing in jobs prior to the first Obama Administration's Stimulus Funds received from the American Recovery and Reinstatement Act. Afterward, workforce partnerships set about developing additional new jobs. This is forecast to boost the local economy for decades into the 21st century.
- Major employers in El Paso are listing increasing numbers of positions in the career fields of Nursing (all levels, including Travel Nursing),
- Accounting, and
- Customer Service.
The leading companies offering these jobs include healthcare organizations such as
- Tenet Healthcare,
- Del Sol Medical Center,
- All About Staffing, Inc.,
- Providence Memorial Hospital, and
- US Army Criminal Investigation Command (ACIC) - Like NCIS, but located within the US Army. Fort Bliss is a particularly large employer that expands continually.
According the the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, El Paso gained 1,000 jobs in February 2009, even though unemployment was 8.2%. It also gained 1,100 jobs in March 2009.
By February 2014, open jobs had increased to 13,000 listings and the potential for increasing numbers of jobs was demonstrated before the Obama Stimulus Package was distributed for Employment & Training in El Paso Country.
In March 2017, the city enjoyed 14,000 job listings and a 5.2% unemployment rate.
Special Agents In Government Service
The USACIDC supports the US Army through the deployment during in peace and war of highly trained Special Agents and support staff; and the operation of a certified forensic laboratory, a protective services unit, many computer crimes specialists, polygraph services and other needed services. After 2016, the US presidential administration determined the need for more of all of these services in ongoing and potential conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, and other nations.
Healthcare Jobs are Growing Quickly
El Paso Healthcare Providers
Starting from the city center and moving outward, healthcare providers include the following list, with selected links to their home pages, news, and job opportunities current and planned. Some of the heath systems below are expanding services and adding new specialties.
- El Paso Specialty Hospital
- MESA Hills Specialty Hospital
- Del Sol Medical Center
- Providence Memorial Hospital
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Sierra Providence Physical Rehabilitation Hospital
- Sierra Providence Medical Center East
- Southwestern General Hospital
- Thomason Hospital
- Triumph Hospital El Paso
- Physicians Specialty Hospital of El Paso
- Sierra Medical Center
- Las Palmas Rehabilitation Hospital
- Highlands Regional Rehabilitation Hospital
- El Paso Psychiatric Center
- University Behavioral Health of El Paso
- Surgical Center of El Paso
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso (TTUHSC)
- Total Care West – OB/GYN, women’s health issues.
- Border Children's Health Center
Major Health and Medical Placement Recruiters
- Tenet Healthcare
- Barton Associates
- Conifer Health Solutions
- Sierra Providence East
- Sierra Providence Med Center
Fort Bliss Jobs Help Military Families
Fort Bliss at El Paso is large enough to be a city all by itself.
The organization offers a general information, announcements, and links page similar to those found in any major city of America. The Fort Bliss pages are extraordinarily full of activities, programs, and events. Civilian Job Openings are also listed.
A Recycling Program began on January 1, 2009 and the Fort Bliss pages present ongoing encouragement to Fort Bliss workers and residents to participate fully in recycling. Recycling cans are even provided beside employee's and military staff persons' desks on base.
Child Abuse Prevention is a big program on base, with classes and support services along with a reporting scheme. Additionally, relationship-building classes and parenting training skills are available for couples in the military.
Of particularly important note is a long range study at Fort Bliss: Army Family Study of Effects of Multiple Deployments on Adolescents. many enrichment programs are offered to military youth and a Summer Youth Employment program is maintained yearly.
Largest Employers in El Paso
Companies That Employ the Most Workers
- El Paso Independent School District - Education
- US Army Fort Bliss - Government/Defense
- City of El Paso City -Government
- T & T Staff Management - Business
- Ysleta Independent School District - Education
- Uiversity of Texas, El Paso - Education
- Sorocco Independent School District - Education
Types of Companies Adding the Most Jobs
This list is dominated by Education, Business, Employment Services, Healthcare, and Food Services.
- Elementary & Secondary Schools, Public/Private
- Full-Service Restaurants
- Employment Services
- Home Health Care Services
- Local Government, City and County
- Limited-Service Dining
- Business Support Services
- All General Medical & Surgical Hospitals
- Offices of Physicians and Group Practices
- All Colleges, Universities, & Professional Schools
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
- Registered Nurses (RN license)
- Medical and Health Technology Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- All Food & Beverage Prep and Service, except Waitstaff
- Retail Sales
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Truck Drivers - Heavy, Tractor-Trailer, similar
- Janitors/Cleaners, Except Housekeeping
Additional Fast Growing Jobs
- Home Health Aides: Certified HHAs
- Executive Secretaries
- Administrative Assistants
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Mainstream High School Teachers
- Child Care Workers
- Construction Workers, skilled and unskilled
- Helpers in Construction Trades
- Certified Nursing Aides, Orderlies, Attendants, Patient Care Techs, and related jobs
- Teacher's Assistants K-12
Higher Education and Training for Local Jobs
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso
Community Colleges and Vocational Schools
- Doña Ana Branch Community College
- El Paso Community College
- International Business College
- Western Technical College
Colleges and Universities
- University of Texas El Paso, known as UTEP
- Texas Tech Professional School of Architecture
New Education for New Jobs
Local higher education leadership is developing new jobs through cooperation with local businesses and government programs.
The following are emerging Texas industries that propel El Paso economy into a business boom:
- Life Sciences,
- Biotechnologies, and
- Health Informatics.
Border towns are experiencing an influx of business from foreign investors as well as new installations provided by the aerospace industry, notably SpaceX at Brownsville.
© 2009 Patty Inglish