Millennials' Favorite Jobs and Companies in Irvine, California
Southern Technology Coast
Irvine is part of California's Technology Coast and offers a substantial number of job opportunities that number consistently at 55,000 or more.
First named in 2008 to the list of the 100 Best Places to Live in America by Money Magazine, Irvine placed at Number Four and made plans to remain in the top 10 cities. Through 2018, it has done exactly that, creating new jobs in healthcare and technologies as well as expanding its entertainment, retail, and tourism opportunities.
Tech Firms Rated High by Irvine Millennials
The To Five Companies recommended for best workplace by Millennials in Irvine and Orange County at E2Irvine.com include:
- Acorns: This intriguing tech startup company furnishes an app from which micro-investors can put the pennies of change received from purchases into portfolios at no commission charged. The total cost of investment is only $1, $2, or $3, depending on features you want, until you are a millionaire. I've received many emails and ads about this company and am almost ready to start using it myself! Web address: www.acorns.com The firm rates 4.8 stars out of five on average in emp[employee reviews on Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com.
- Google: The Irvine office is four stories high, with cafes, beach bicycles, and other unimaginable amenities. It rates 4.4 out of five stars on average from thousands of employees.
- Asics: This is a high-tech sportswear company that not only sponsors Olympic class athletes, but also incorporates health and wellness at the HQ work stations. Employees speak of treadmills at their computers. Some of their athletes include Queenie Harrison and Lolo Jones. The company created a "blackout track" so runners can train in the dark, using their other senses -- That's pretty radical. Employees rate the company 3.5 out of four stars.
- Parker Hannifin and Parker Aerospace rate an average of 4.0 stars out of five on Indeed.com for 1,000 employee reviews.
- Crowdstrike: This large company deals in cybersecurity and was prominent in the Russian hacking investigation in the US surrounding the 2016 presidential election. Its average review rating by employees stands at 4.0 out of five stars.
- A company on other "best" and "largest" lists in this geographical area is Edwards Lifesciences, a manufacturer of heart valves and blood-related monitoring equipment elements. On Glassdoor.com, employees rate the firm at 3.8 stars out of five.
- Houzz: This high-tech interior and landscape design and home improvement company has a number of glowing recommendations from workers on Glassdoor.com, but the overall average rating is only 2.7 out of five stars.
Planned Communities Work
In the 1960s, the city became one of the first planned urban communities in the nation and was incorporated in 1971. The University of California planned a campus for this area in Orange County and hired architect William Pereira to design its new campus and to fit an urban community around it.
Over 40 years later, Irvine has grown to over 25,000 residents that enjoy 16,000 acres of healthy green space: at least 18 city parks and 35 neighborhood parks.
The public school system demonstrates consistently higher-than-average standardized test scores without cheating or undue teacher stress. In fact, the high school graduation rate is 96%.
The high school graduation rate is 96%.
The Spectrum Mall houses hundreds of retail stores and services, along with rides and entertainment that rival Disneyland. A unique climbing area, traditional state fair rides, and a 7D laser tag/virtual roller coaster ride takes up an entire day to experience. Dozens of restaurants span the spectrum of food from snacks to full service steak house. The large complex is located in a triangle formed by between I-5 and I- 495.
Spectrum is large and rated on Yelp and Google Reviews as the best shopping center, but is only one of 20 shopping malls in the city, and all have job opportunities. Other top choices among visitors and residents include:
- South Coast Plaza
- Quail Hill Center
- Woodbridge Village Center
- The Square
- Diamond Jubilee
- The Market Place
Focus on Energy Efficiency and Green Jobs
Irvine city government provides business incentives to companies to conserve energy and establish green jobs. This city is in the middle of California's Technology Coast and has planned to bring green technologies into daily life and work. As a result, dozens of recommendations for sustainability are available to new businesses that build in Irvine.
The WIA in Orange County has functioned as a Jobs Services provider for Irvine since the late 1990s. In 2009, additional funds were received form the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act for these and ancillary purposes.
Destination Irvine also serve to draw new residents and businesses to this community.
Largest Local Employers
- Walt Disney Co.with nearly 30,000 employed individuals.
- University of California at Irvine
- Edwards Lifesciences
- St. Joseph Health
Allied Universal: Chemical manufacture and distribution in the USA and overseas.
- Kaiser Permanente/Irvine Medical Center: Well known healthcare operation.
- The Boeing Company: Aircraft and aerospace manufacturing, and a member of the NASA Commercial Crew. Its space capsules have been scheduled for moon and Mars landings after AD 2020.
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
- California State University, Fullerton: 5,781
- Bank of America Corp.
- Target Stores and HQ
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
- Memorial Care Health System
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- Tenet Healthcare Corp.: 4,346
- The Irvine Company: Real Estate and development.
Additional Successful Companies
- Irvine Unified School District
- Parker: Aircraft parts, aerospace, defense.
- St. John Knits: Retail sales and internships.Headquartered in Irvine with offices and stores in Canada.
Top Companies for Hiring
- Healthcare: Integrated Healthcare Holdings, Inc., UnitedHealth Group, Edwards Lifesciences, Heritage Healthcare, Molina Healthcare (handles Medicaid), PIH Health, Maxim Healthcare Services, Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center, Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Prospect Medical Systems, Johnson & Johnson Family Medicine.
- Marriott International, Inc.: Accommodations and tourism
- Care.com: Companions, nannies, home health aides, other.
- The Home Depot
- Superior Grocers
- Casual Dining and Fast Food: Pizza Hut, Domino's, Carl's Jr., Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks, Southern California Pizza
- Sales: Auto Zone, Parker Hannifin/Parker Aerospace (aircraft parts), H&R Block, Ralphs. Ross Stores.
- Target Stores
- CVS Health, Pharmacy and Retail
- 24 Hour Fitness: Health and wellbeing.
- Bank of America: Financial products
Top Job Listings
- Retail Salespeople and Supervisors
- Financial Analysts
- Sales Managers and Associates at all levels, includes wireless communications.
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives in Insurance, Finance, and other fields.
- Project Managers
- Software Engineers
Workforce Investment Act One Stop Jobs Center
17891 Cartwright Rd., #100; Irvine CA 92614
Telephone: (949) 341-8000
- Mon: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Tues-Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Sat & Sun: Closed
Other Job Training
- Welcome to Calnevjatc
California-Nevada J.A.T.C. - Apprenticeship Training in the Electrical Construction Industry. Over 500 Line Contractors in the unionized electrical construction industry.
Top 10 Jobs Forecast Through AD 2024
The Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine Metro Area is forecast by the State of California to offer the most job growth in the following occupational titles:
- Web Developers
- Floor Installers
- Operations Research Analysts
- Electricians and Helpers
- Home Health Aides
- Construction and Maintenance Painters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Interpreters and Translators
- Environmental Scientists
- Biomedical Engineers
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Computer Machine Tool Programmers
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
Among the top 15 job titles with the most number of new openings, that of General and Operations Managers promises to pay the most money. This includes a median hourly wage of over $56.00 per hour. Registered Nurse is in second place with an hourly median wage of opver $43.00.
University of California at Irvine is the Number One university doing the most for the American Dream.— New York Times College Access Index
Higher Education Nearest Irvine
- Alliant International University at Irvine. 2855 Michelle Dr #300; Irvine CA 92606. The school offers an MA and PsyD in Marriage and Family Counseling.
- California State University Fullerton at Irvine
- Chapman University College at Irvine
- Concordia University: A Lutheran Christian university, this school maintains three campuses in Irvine that offer nursing, bachelor's, and upper graduate degrees.
- Fashion Institute of Design. 17590 Gillette Avenue; Irvine CA 92614. A full 25 different majors are offered in an AA, AA Advanced Study, BA/BS, and MBA.
- Irvine Valley College: A public community college with the best successful student transfer to four-year colleges in the state.
- University of California at Irvine (Please see highlights below.) This school brings in $5,000,000,000 to Orange County every year. Every school within the university has been recognized with national and state awards. The UC Irvine Extension has also been designated as an official job trainer for the Workforce Investment Act programs in Orange County.
- USC Orange County Center: Specifically for working professionals interested in earning a graduate degree in business, social work, or a doctoral degree in education. 2300 Michelson Dr., Irvine CA 92612.
Cutting Edge Research at UC Irvine
The following are just a few of the current research projects ongoing at UC-Irvine. Funding for research comes from a large variety of Federal and State entities, and public and private foundations, companies, and individuals. The environment, clean technologies, and sustainability in business and at home are essential foci.
A Sampling of Research Projects
- Epilepsy Treatment: Research Award given to Dr. Tallie Z. Baram.
- Urban Water Supplies
- Climate Change
- Funding for Ongoing Medical Research: How to gather and sustain.
- Music and Live Performance
- Mexico and Swine Flu
- Cantonese Opera in the Bay Area
- The Brain, Data and Expectations
- Handheld Technologies
- Native Americans in Southern California: Gabrielino/Tongva Nation and others.
- American Association of Universities Economic Impact Reports. www.aau.edu/aau-universities-economic-impact-reports Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- C2Irvine. c2eirvine.com/7-really-cool-companies-work-irvine/ Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- Location OC: Largest Irvine Employers. www.locationoc.com/business-climate/major-employers/ Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- One Stop Job Centers in OC. www.oconestop.com/ Retrieved August 15, 2018.
© 2009 Patty Inglish MS