Employment and Jobs in Mendocino, California
Lake Mendocino, California
The California North Coast Region
Following a long line of Spanish and Mexican traditions, this county was named after Mendoza, the ruling Mexican viceroy of this area.
Mendocino County is one of the original California counties, dating back to California's 1850 statehood. The county includes the Ukiah Metropolitan Area that encompasses the seat of county government, several valleys, and encircling mountain ranges.
The original inhabitants of this land, however, are the Pomo Indians. Today, they run successful businesses from which they donate funds to many local projects, including housing development. The Native American History Project at Mendocino Community College continues to study this nation of Indigenous People or Native North Americans.
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Median wage over $30/hour. Travel Nurses receive additional benefits.
- Retail Sales Persons
- All levels of Food and Beverage Preparation and Service Jobs
- Gaming Dealers
- Instructional Coordinators
- Computer Support Specialists
- Special Education Teachers - Preschool thru Elementaryl
- Home Health & Personal Care Aides
- Highway Maintenance Workers
An additional set of High Demand Jobs available includes:
- Real Estate Sales Agents
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Radiologic Technologists and Technicians
- Massage Therapists
- Truck Drivers, Light or Delivery Services
The 101 becomes 549 in town.
Largest Employers in Mendocino County
- City of Ukiah - Govt
- Endoscopy Center - Health
- Fetzer Tasting & Visitor Ctr - Winery And Production & Sales - Hopland
- Food Help Program - Ukiah
- Forestry & Fire Protection - Willits
- Frank R Howard Memorial Hospital - Willits
- Hillside Health Center - Ukiah
- Hopland Band of Pomo Indians
- Mendocino Coast District Hospital , Fort Bragg - Medical Lab & Hospital
- Mendocino College - Ukiah (see link above)
Fetzer Vineyards - The Earth Friendly Wine
Fetzer Vineyards --This major employer's High Tech site explains the sustainability processes used since 1984 in the business and why they are important. It also provides a long list of energy saving tips that everyone can use. Sign up for the Eco-Tour Newsletter. For employment opportunities information, contact the website.
Mendocino Works is a collaboration of community based organizations that partner in order to bring employment options to the residents of Mendocino County.
The home web site has One Stop Shops set up for Fort Bragg, Ukiah, and Willtis, with brochures for each metro area. The link to the Medocino Private Industry Council (PIC) is located to the left. PICs across the nation have put thousands of people to work from high school youth to displaced homemakers and laid off worlers to retirees wishing to return to the labor market.
Education and Training in Mendocino County
- Mendocino Community College - This school has been fully re-accredited with up to date classes towards high paying jobs with learning on campus and online for diverse populations of students. Visit the web site at www.mendocino.edu/
- Anderson Valley Agricultural Institute - Boonville
- College of the Redwoods: Mendocino Campus
- Dharma Buddhist University - Ukiah
- Dominican University of California - Ukiah
- Pacific Union College - Mendocino Biological Field Station
Pomo Indian Band
As a major employer in Mendocino County, this group offers growth opportunities in employment and good benefits. They also make regular donations to over 30 civic and charitable groups in Mendocino County and are involved in developing and enhancing affordable housing for county residents.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, PTO, Short and Long Term Disability Insurances, and a 401K retirement plan. If a specific position you are interested in is not listed, you may still apply for that position and we will retain your application on file for three months.
Contact Hopland HR Department in person at 13101 Nokomis Road, Bldg. D, Hopland, CA 95449 or Email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many jobs are available in the Endoscopic Center and other departments of this high quality medical center know for its superior treatment and patient concern.
Nurses are always recruited as well, with the offer of a Faith-Based environment [7th Day Adventist], ongoing professional development and advancement, and high technology with state-of-the art equipment and practices.
City of Ukiah
Ukiah bills itself as a wonderful place to work, start a new business, or relocate an existing enterprise.. Its climate is pleasantly moderate, because it is surrounded by coastal mountain ranges and centered in the Yokayo Valley, making it a good place for agriculture, especially grape production and wines..
Located very near Highway 101, the city maintains its small town appeal while it attracts a good amount of business from the busy superhighway that cannects it with the rest of Northern California. the map below and to the right shows Highway 101 throughout Claifornia, Oregon, and Washington.
The Greater Ukiah Metro Area is home to over 40,000 people, with room to grow.
- City of Ukiah Government jobs.
- Other Jobs in Ukiah
- Mendocino Private Industry Council - job training and placement.
- Mendocino County Jobs
Green Initiatives In Ukiah
- Ukiah Natural Foods Co-op
- Organic Agriculture and Vineyards- sustainability techniques.
- Organic Breweries and Restaurants
US Route 101
Highway 101 or the Redwood Highway In Literature
US Route 101 is called the Pacific Coast Highway and El Camino Real or in English, The Royal Road. It has played a major part in literature, movies, and TV shows for many years.
The highway plays a prominent role in the long standing Alphabet Mystery Series of Sue Grafton.
Her private investigator heroine, Kinsey Milhone, is forever driving a compact car up and down The 101 in search of a clue. All of the novels in this series are popular, so much so that two women analyzed them all and wrote a thick companion guide to them. Much speculation exists about what Ms. Grafton will write after she has reached the letter Z.
See this link for some historic events along The 101: Historic 101.
Highway 101 Movie web site: highway101movie.com/
Visit this link for music from Highway 101 country music group.
Mendocino Community College - MCC
MCC is the largest postsecondary education facility in Medocino County, serving a diverse population fo students that include adult learners, online classes, Hispanics, Native Americans and other groups. Out of seven community colleges regularly examined by the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges in the summer of 2008, only Mendocino Community College and West Valley College in California retained their accreditation for their excellent programming and operations.
MCC operates three separate campuses in Ukiah, Willits, and Lakeport, California, along with online classes. A long list of Associate degrees and shorter-tern Certificates are listed on their website found above under the Education and training section. These include credentials needed to succeed at the county's major employers that are listed above.
Digital Storytelling Program at MCC - "Frank"
MCC Digital Storytelling - "My Garden"
MCC Digital Storytelling of Meeting Ernest Hemingway
© 2008 Patty Inglish