Finding Jobs In Memphis and Southaven On the Mississippi/Tennesee Border
On the Borderline
The Bloomberg publication BusinessWeek reported in January 2010 that the number of households in Southaven had increased by 50% from 2000 - 2008, one of the largest increases in the nation. In 2009, the population was 42,567, wuith a 42.51% increase since 2000. This figure makes Southaven the most quickly growing city in Mississippi.
The City of Southaven offers low tax rates and a low cost of living when compared with the rest of the nation. In fact, the Southaven cost of living is 22.47% lower than the US average. These advantages attract new residents as well as new commerical concerns. Businesses contributing most to the local economy in Spring 2010 include Healthcare, Retail, and Transportation/Logistics. Job Growth is expected to be 31.5% to 2020.
Very near the Tennessee Border and part of the Memphis TN Labor and Business Market, Southaven MS is also the hometown of the famous suspense author John Grisham.
Southaven is focused on sustainability for the 2010s and offers on online Carbon Calculator at its city website. it is also a member of Healthy City, a part of the US Healthy People 2020 initiative. In addition, IT infrastructure is such that the city offers magnoliawave.com Wi-Fi internet access thoughout the city for business and residential needs to promote future growth. Its Parks and Recreation Department includes golf, a skateboard park, park shelters, and a number of sports. Special events in Southaven celebrate national holidays, a Springfest, and a Fishing Rodeo; along with big-name concerts year-round.
The Downtown Historic District of 51 & Main is another popular attraction in Sourhaven. It's oldest restaurant, Dale's, began in 1959 as an ice creamery affair and is full-service today wth home cooked meals in addition to well known ice creams. This area of main street is also a National Historic Street and fun to tour.
Memphis Area Transit (MATA) operates city busses between Memphis and a stop near Southaven several times a day. The MATA web site shows the Number 43 Elvis Presley line traveling to a point south of Southland Mall. A walk of a little over a mile crosses the state border into Southaven. Taxis are also avaiable from there and some hotels run convenient shuttles.
Civil War Reenactment
Taylor Hicks at Snowden
ZZ Top at Snowden Grove
Travel and Vacation Attractions
- Mud Island
Mud Island River Park
- CentralHockeyLeague.com: Home
- Rriver Kings Home
- North Mississippi\'s Premier Arena - Desoto Civic Center
DCC is the areas most accessible event location just ten minutes from Memphis International Airport.
- North Creek Golf Course
- Strike Zone Bowling Lanes
Southaven offers several bowling lanes.
- Christie's- Contemporary Modern Paintings | Jewelry Auction House | Antique Furniture
Christies, the world's leading art business, offers fine art auctions for post-war contemporary, impressionist and modern paintings, fine wine, watches, jewelry, prints, old masters, and interiors from artists as Andy Warhol, Claude Monet, Jeff Koon
- Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum - Memphis, TN
- Welcome. The Official Site for Sun Studio. The Birthplace of Rock N\' Roll and Home to the "Million
Welcome to the official web site for Sun Studio. The Birthplace of Rock N' Roll and home to the 'Million Dollar Quartet' - Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins.
- Snowden Grove Amphitheater
- The Memphis Zoo - Home
Plan your visit to the Memphis Zoo. Buy your tickets online, or purchase a membership. Get information on hours, view our webcams, and see whats coming up at the Memphis Zoo. The Memphis Zoo, located in Memphis, Tenn., is home to more than 3,500 ani
US NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- Memphis, Tennessee: The Greatest Place to Stand Near Elvis
This place should have its own zip code, because it is so well known, so large at nearly 14 acres, and brings in such a huge amount of yearly revenues. Elvis Presley, 34 years after his death is still one of the top money earning celebrities in...
- H.O.W. To Find Your Own Greatness
What do Elvis, the Olympics, the Paralympics and a young boy in Ohio all have in common? Find out What, Why, Where, When and H.O.W. to change the world.
- HubTrail Top 10 Tennessee Hot Spots - Affordable and Unique
Have you ever seen a choir sing Barbershop and step like a marching band? How about the World's Largest Fish Fry? It's all refreshing good fun in Tennessee...
- Top 10 Jobs in Tennessee
There are a substantial number of excellent job opportunities in Tennessee...
- Delta Technical College
- Desota County Career Tech
- Lemoyone-Owen College
- Northwest Mississippi Community College
- Remington College - Memphis
- University of Mississippi - Desoto
- University of Tennessee - Memphis
- Vatterott College
Increases in Job Listings
Explanation of Employment Trends
For both Southaven MS and Memphis TN, employment trends indicated wide fuctuations in the number of listings available to job seekers from 2005 - 2010, with July 2005 being the month during which the lowest number were posted. The latest increase in job listings began in January 2010 and continued through May. Approximately 13,000 job openings were available during the 3rd week of May 2010.
Top Hiring Companies
- Taco Bell
- Pizza Hut
- UT Medical Center
- Tenet Healthcare
- Saint Francis Hospital
- Methodist University Hospital
- First Horizon
- Regional Medical Center at Memphis
- Sedgwick Claims Management Services
- Smith & Nephew
- St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- First Horizon National
- Schneider National
- Robert Half Finance & Accounting
- Robert Half Technology
- Critical Connection
top 15 High Demand Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Occupational Therapists
- Sales Representatives
- Assistant Managers
- Truck, Taxi, and Light Delivery Drivers
- Physician Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners - Also a hot job in Lexington Massachusetts
- Warehouse Wworkers
- Java Developers
- Restaurant General Managers
- Store Managers
- Team Members
- Manager Trainees
- Taco Bell Assistant Managers and Shift Leaders
- Trucking Owner-Operators
- Programmer Analysts
- Account Executives
Employment Projections for Memphis/Southaven
The following list of job titles is estimated by local and federal departments of labor to be those that will produce the largest numbers of new jobs until 2016.
- Food Service - combinarion food prep/serving - Fast food and related places. (Waiter and Waitress are the fastest losing job titles - fewer every year up to 2106 for a total of 1530 jobs to be lost since 2006.)
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Retail Salespeople
- Customer Service Representatives
- Drivers - Heavy and long-haul trucks.
- Security Guards
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Food Prep and Cook positions
- Managers - Various Retail and Food services
- Auditors, Accountants, and related clerks
The fastest growing industries for the market area are expected to become Hospitals and businesses requiring administrative and clerical support workers.
Largest Area Employers
The largest local employers in Southaven/Memphis include the industries of Healthcare, Education, Manufacturing, and Financial Data Transactions.
- Baptist Memorial Hopsital East - Health
- Methodist Hospital - Health
- Shelby County Boad of Education - Education
- Interational Paper Company - Manufacturing
- Smtih & Nephew Orthopaedics - Health
- St Jude Children'S Research Hospital - Health
- U of TN Health Science Center - Health
- Concord EFS Inc -ATM, credit card, debit card, and payroll processing services.
Memphis - Elvis
Walkin' In Memphis - Lonestar
The Southaven Chamber of Commerce points out that Southaven is a great place to retire for its climate and recreational and cultural attractions. A number of senior living apartment complexes as well as assisted living facilities are located in the area and the healthcare system is well known for quality care across the lifespan.
One of the mottoes of Southaven is Forever Young, because seniors can retire in the community and remain a vibrant, active part of it. A specific Forever Young Program for individuals ages 60 and over ensures activity and enjoyment through education programs, card clubs, shopping, dining out, outdoor activities on golf outings and in 21 different parks, and trips to professional basketball games, Graceland, and the Jerry Lee Lewis Ranch. There's plenty to do for fun.