- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches»
- Local Job Searches
Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Auburn, Alabama
Major Award-Winning College Town
Auburn is located in Lee County, Alabama and is one of the Top 20 College Towns in America, repeatedly recognized by Forbes Magazine.
Like the other towns on the Forbes list, Auburn has had an increase in jobs from 2008 through 2018, even during the Great recession.
The City of Auburn is one of the largest communities in the Southeast, with a population of over 56,000 people and a metro market area of 500,000 residents, including the suburbs of Opelika, Columbus, and Tuskegee.
Auburn University is an anchor of education and business in the Greater Auburn Area. The school has helped to spur rapid growth in the city, which is the fastest growing metro area in Alabama and one of the Top 20 Fast Growing Metropolitan Areas in the 2010s. US News and World Reports named it to the magazine’s Top 10 Best Places to Live in 2009.
We can see from the accompanying graphs that while Auburn experienced a sharp increase in advertised jobs in spring and summer 2008, followed by a sharp decrease after August, jobs increased y through much of the fall of 2009.
In December 2009, not including seasonal positions, the number of jobs available in the Greater Auburn Area was nearly 4,000.
Jobs in Auburn and the Suburbs
The City of Tuskegee is approximately 20 miles from Auburn and offers additional job opportunities. Job openings increased 2008 - 2009 here to a greater extent than in Auburn.
Top Hiring Companies in the Metro Area
- Auburn University, including a hotel.
- East Alabama Medical Center: Healthcare
- US Army National Guard
- Murphy Oil
- Alascare Health and Hospice
- Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Dunkin' Donuts
- CVS health Retail and Pharmacy
- Medical Connections
- Advanced Auto Parts; Auto-Zone
- Dollar stores: Family Dollar and others.
- H&R Block: Income Tax
- America's Best Companies
- US Air Force
- Joseph A. Bank
Top 15 Most Frequently Advertised Jobs
- Sales Representatives and Account Executives
- Registered Nurses
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Tax Preparers
- Retail Cashiers: Concessions, grocery; other.
- Franchise Salespersons
- Assistant Store Managers
- Mechanical, electrical and Manufacturing Engineers
- Special Events Directors
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Staff Attorneys
- Assistant Managers: Casual dining and fast food.
- Office Business Managers
- Machine Operators
- Leasing Managers
Government Projections for Fast Growing Jobs
- Software Developers, all types
- Truck Drivers, CDL: Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
- Registered Nurses
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Industrial and Mechanical Engineers
- Nurse Practitioners
- Sales Representatives, Inside and Outside
- Home Health Aides (HHAs), Nursing Aides, Orderlies, etc.
- Carpenters, Electricians
- Combined Food Prep and Service: Front line and management positions.
- Customer Service Representatives
- Medical Assistants
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters
- Social and Human Service Assistants
Local Institutions of Higher Learning
The Auburn area is home to several unique and interesting colleges and universities:
Auburn War Eagle Mascot
- Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine - Southeastern Raptor Center
Home of the War Eagle Mascots. The Rehabilitation Section accepts injured, ill or orphaned birds of prey, including these golden eagles, from the southeastern United States 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year.
Auburn Metro Area Information
The cities of Auburn and Opelika, Alabama are called twin cities, founded in or near territory once owned by the Creek Nation. They were founded very close together in time and location, just 7 miles apart in Lee County along I-85.
The Robert G. Pitts Airport lies between them, furnishing air transportation to both, with the Indian Pines Country Club just one mile to the north. The Tuskegee National Forest is to the southwest and Sougahatchee Lake is a few miles to the northwest. The Spring Valley recreation Area is just to the southeast.
Aside from outdoor recreation and golfing and other sports activities, both cities offer their own Performing Arts Centers. Several fine arts and cultural art museums are located in the area as well. The historical Museum of East Alabama is located in Opelika. In addition, Historic Downtown Opelika is outfitted with city guide disks set into the sidewalks to describe historic events along a walking tour. The Opelika Train Depot is another historic place preserved for residents and visitors.
Downtown Auburn also has plaques embedded in its sidewalks to honor individual athletes from Auburn University in what is known as the famous Tiger Trail.
Toomer's Corner is a tailgating celebration place located in front of Toomer's Drug Store and Diner, established over a century ago. Football Saturdays see nearly 90,000 Auburn Tiger fans rooting their encouragement in the streets and having their faces painted in Auburn colors. Auburn also offers other historic and cultural venues.
This gathering spot is found just north of Auburn University and its hotel.
Lee County Job Centers
- Alabama JobLink serves job seekers across the State of Alabama. Job listings in each market area of the state can be searched quickly and easily at Alabama JobLink.
- A summary of job duties, educational requirements and other information is included with several listings on each page, with links to more information for each job. An onsite Job Spider searches other job posting engines for you if you wish.
Local Job Centers
- Opelika Career Center at 2300 Frederick Road, Opelika AL 36801. PH (334) 749-5065.
- Montgomery Job Center at 1060 East South Boulevard, Montgomery AL. 36116. PH (334) 286-1746.
Top 10 Lee County Employers that post jobs on Alabama JobLink:
- Auburn University
- Auburn University Hotel & Conference Center
- City of Auburn
- Compass Group, North America
- City of Opelika
- Lee County Commission
- Opelika City Schools
- Masterbrand Cabinets
- Briggs and Stratton
- Various employment and staffing services
© 2009 Patty Inglish