Job Openings Triple in Leawood, Kansas
Kansas City, Kansas
Migration to Leawood; Job Listings Triple 2010 - 2014
Inside the I-435 Outerbelt around Kansas City KS lies the southern suburb of Leawood, just a few blocks west of the Missouri-Kansas state line and two miles east of Overland Park. To the near north in Johnson County lies Shawnee, Kansas, voted one of the Best Places to Live in America in 2008 by Money Magazine.
In April 2010, 21,000 jobs were listed for Leawood KS, the fastest growing city in the state, declared by Bloomberg Business week early.
By November 2014, however, the city had over 61,000 jobs advertised. Listings continued to increase though 2015. The most open jobs are clustered in Leawood, Overland Park, Kansas City on both sides of the state line, and other nearby cities and suburbs,
The suburb's population was 27,656 in 2000 and 31,000+ (an over 12% increase) in 2009. Local population estimates are 40,000 residents by 2020, with new jobs needed to support them. Jobs are incresing in the job postings across the Internet.
Leawood is also a Green City, with a citizens coalition to increase conservation and sustainability. It's motto is Growing Green Together.
Map Location, Leawood
Tract Housing After WWII Brings in People
Leawood was founded namelessly when a Mr. Oscar Lee retired from an Oklahoma police force and moved to Kansas in 1922. It was a quiet, pleasant village until after World War II. At that point, housing developments of small bungalows of 600 - 800 square feet went up all over the nation. In 1948, the Kroh Brothers constructed one such housing development in Leawood to attract returning soldiers and their families as well as other new residents. Thus, population growth was foot.
The Kroh Brothers built the new Leawood's initial 500 new homes, provided the town's first planning tools, created a fire and police force, initiated street repair, and upgraded the whole town. Leawood was actually first housing-subdivision development incorporated as an official city in Johnson County, Kansas. It's been growing ever since, with a boom of sorts in the 2000s.
- Kauffman Foundation Surveys
Designed specifically for entrepreneurs in the fields of technology, life sciences, and 'green industries,' FastTrac TechVenture connects entrepreneurs to the best resources available to help their business succeed. An award-winning program of the
- Small Business Incubators for Missouri
Launch or grow your small business by connecting with a small business incubator.
Top High Demand Jobs
61% of residents work in Mgmt & Professional; 27% in Office/Sales and Service, 6% in other Services. High Demand Jobs include:
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Sonic Drive Ins – Crew and Management positions
- Sales Representatives
- Taco Bell Assistant Managers
- Taco Bell Shift Leaders
- Store Managers – small stores, coffee shops, convenience outlets
- Account Executives
- Specialty Software Sales Representatives
- Administrative Assistants
- Project Managers
- Software Developers
Top 10 Hiring Companies
- HCA Healthcare
- Providence Medical Center
- Taco Bell
- Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics - Kansas City, Missouri
- University of Kansas Hospital
- Truman Medical Centers - Kansas City, Missouri
- St. Lukes Hospital
- US Air Force and the National Guard
- Carondelet Health - Kansas City, Missouri
- Critical Connection
- Medical Connections
- Pizza Hut
- Brookdale Senior Living
- Adventist Health System
- Burns & McDonnell
- HCR Manorcare
Major Companies In the Leawood Market
The largest employers of worlers in Leawood are located nearby in the cities of Kansas City, Lawrence, Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee Mission. IN addition, these are among the largest 100 employers in Kansas:
- Sprint Nextel Corp
- University Of Kansas Medical Center
- Examone World Wide
- General Motors Fairfax Assembly
- Shawnee Mission Medical Center
- Unified Government Of Wyandotte County
- University Of Kansas
- Black & Veatch Corp
- Exam One
- Loan Processing
- Quest Diagnostics
- Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Deffenbaugh Industries Inc.
- Deffenbaugh Field Services
- Lawrence Finance
- Nebraska Furniture Mart Inc.
- YRC Worldwide Inc.
- Lawrence Emergency Medical Association - Lawrence KS
- Carondelet Health Facilities - St. Joseph Medical Center
- Children''s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics is the Kansas City regions' exclusive pediatric medical center and health care network. Our physicians, nurses, and technicians are all trained specifically to work with children.
- Kindred Hospitals - Kansas City
- Menorah Medical Center - Home Page
- North Kansas City Hospital
- Providence Medical Center
- Shawnee Mission Medical Center | Kansas City Area Hospital
Nationally Accredited Doctors & Largest Medical Staff in Kansas City Metro With Over 40 Years Of Service Excellence.
- Truman Medical Centers | Kansas City Hospital
Truman Medical Centers, in Kansas City, is one of the top hospitals in the region, providing families throughout Kansas City with high quality healthcare.
- University of Kansas Medical Center
Nationally recognized biomedical research center offers educational programs through its Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Allied Health, and Graduate Studies.
I-70 from Quality Hill toward Kansas City, Kansas as the highway crosses from Missouri into Kansas.
Leawood Area Higher Education
- BMSI Institute
- Central Baptist Theological Seminary - Shawnee
- Cutting Edge Hairstyling Academy - Kansas City
- Johnson County Community College - Overland Park
- Kansas City Kansas Community College
- La Baron Hairdressing Academy - Overland Park
- National American University Campus - Overland Park,
- Ottawa University Kansas City - Overland Park
- Park University
- Penn Valley Community College
- Street Design School International Hair Styling - Overland Park
- St Luke's College - Kansas City
- Technical Education Center - Kansas City
- TechSkills Medical - Kansas City
- The Art Institutes - Overland Park
- University of Kansas University of Missouri - Kansas City
- Wright Career College - Overland Park
Nobody - remember this - nobody knows all the facts on which a president makes his decisions.
-- Harry S. Truman, President of the United States (1884 - 1972)
Harry S. Truman National Historic Site - National Park Service
Harry S. Truman History in Leewood
Truman wished to be remembered as "The People's President" and named his programs the Fair Deal. Above all in the Presidency, he felt that if a President turned away from the people, it was the worst of times.
The National Park Service maintains one of President's Truman's homes., complete with the grapes growing in back. Online at the link, one may find collections of memorabilia, photographs, quotations, speeches, copies of personal correspondence and several other groups of historical and human interest.
Leawood Attractions and Activities
- Airline History Museum
- Adam Legler Barn Museum
- Harry S. Truman National Historic Site
- Heart of America Golf Course
- Ironhorse Golf Club
- Johnson County Museum-History
- Leawood Challenge Course
- Legacy West Park
- Lenexa Historical Society
- Live Healthy Challenge
- Meadowbrook Country Club
- National Archives at Kansas City - Central Plains Region
- National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial – Don’t miss the Over There Cafe
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - Family History Records
© 2010 Patty Inglish