Medical Jobs in Pittsburgh - Free Healthcare Since 2007
A Health-Smart City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania ranks among the Top 25 Smartest Cities in the US as determined by Money Magazine in the latter part of the 2000s. This determination is based on the percentages of college graduates with a Bachelor's Degree or above, including professional degrees, residing in these cities.
The highest demand job in Pittsburgh are all involved in medical and healthcare. In fact, they are mostly doctors of one specialty or another, along with family practitioners (GPs). Occupational Therapists, Nurse Practitioners, and Physical Therapy Assistants round out the Top 15 Hot Jobs in Pittsburgh.
Other Smart Cities in Review
- Columbus Ohio Named a Top-7 Intelligent City Among 21 Smart Cities
Columbus Ohio was designated mong the Top 7 Smart Cities named by the Intelligent Communities orgnization in their 21 Smart Cities for 2013. In addition, Columbus was names a sustainable Smarter City in 2010. During the same time, it was named the Nu
- Lexington, Kentucky - A Smart City
Lexington, Kentucky is a Smart City and a great place to travel, showing its attractiveness in many ways. It is the
- Nashville - America's Smartest Cities and New Home to Amazon.com
The music and fine arts scenes in Nashville are expanding in the 2010s and jobs in healthcare are increasing. Amazon.com built a new facility in Nashville and tourist attractions are more popular than ever. This might be your next move.
- Hot Jobs and Travel in Charlotte NC - A Smart City, Church City and DNC City
Charlotte - Mecklenburg labor market area is a prospering region with many attractions to fuel tourism and related industries involving retail, food service, accommodations and others. Healthcare and new business startup overall are also expanding.
100 Greatest Places to Stand in the USA
The Mount Washington neighborhood in southern Pittsburgh was named by readers of Stoodthere.com in a vote as the 9th Greatest Place to Stand in America - for photography and fun. The neighborhood features a steep hill above the city, with one of the most beautiful views in the nation from the top. One of two inclines can by used for travel to the summit of the hill: the Duquesne and the Monongahela Inclines.
Mount Washington, Pittsburgh
Local History and Culture
- Renovating Point State Park: A Gift for Pittsburgh's 250th
Archaeological remains of Fort Pitt (Fort Duquesne) and the associated French village and cemetery, along with thousands of years of Native American occupation. The Forks of the Ohio" is a registered National Historic Landmark.
Point State Park, Pittsburgh
The Pittsburgh Catholic Charities Charities Free Health Care Center opened in 2007. Volunteers give $1.6 million in donated healthcare hours annually to at least 20,000 people every year.
Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative [PRHI]
One reason for the emergence and development of so many Heathcare related occupations and job openings in the Greater Pittsburgh Area is the operation of the Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative.
PRHI was established as a facilitator for better, higher-quality, and more effective healthcare in Greater Pittsburgh in 1998. The company and its partner organizations proved in that decade-plus of endeavor that healthcare professionals on the frontlines of treatment will improve treatment outcomes, reduce overall healthcare costs, and increase personnel employment satisfaction under PRHI Best Practices.
It is no surprise, then, that PRHI has increased the overall health and quality of life for Pennsylvania residents throughout the Southwest Pennsylvania Region. They do this by Continuous Improvement that works so well for Corporate America, but unlike a commercial corporation, PHRI is a nonprofit and part of the Jewish Healthcare Foundation with funds contributed by local corporations, area and national foundations, insurance health plans and government entities.
PRHI has increased the heath status of the regional population at lower costs, greater efficiencies, and increased positive patient outcomes as a non-profit organization. Further, it has helped to create new healthcare jobs. This is all somewhat a miracle and one much appreciated by Southwest Pennsylvanians.
Ongoing Professional Development courses are offered through PRHI to healthcare professionals in a system called Perfecting Patient CareSM. In addition, certain healthcare initiatives are regularly targeted for improvement by the organization.These have included/include Diabetes, Infection Control, Chronic Conditions, and others. Best Practices are aimed at providing more effective treatment to keep people healthy and active, with a higher quality of life, for a longer portion of their lives.
Visit this wonderful organization at PRHI.
Job Increases 2009 - 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
Top Hiring Companies
- Valley Health
- HCR Manorcare
- BNY Mellon
- West Penn Allegheny Health
- University of Pittsburgh
- United States Steel
- PNC Bank
- Epeople Healthcare
- Carnegie Mellon University
- United Vision Logistics
- Baylor Trucking
Highest Demand Jobs In Pittsburgh
- University Instructional Staff, including Medical
- Trucking - Company Drivers, Owner Operators, Other
- Manufacturing Associates
- Physical Therapists
- Project Managers
- Java Developers
- Pharmacy Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Speech Therapists
- Physician Representatives
- Occupational Therapists
- LPTA-Home Health
Pittsburgh Area Hospitals
- Allegheny General Hospital - Often named to the US News & World Report annual best hospitals list.
- Alle-Kiski Medical Center
- Canonsburg General Hospital
- Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh – Steadily places in the Top 10 American Children's Hospitals.
- Forbes Regional Health System
- Magee-Womens Hospital
- Mercy Health System
- Ohio Valley General Hospital
- St. Clair Hospital
- UPMC Health System - The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center supports many hospitals and health care centers with thousands of personnel. It is the largest non-government employer of Western Pennsylvania.
- West Penn Hospital – Flagship of the West Penn Allegheny Health System.
Healthcare Research and the VA
Pittsburgh Children's Hospital
Western School of Health and Business Careers
Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Heath and Medical
The demand for Physicians in Pittsburgh increased 60% from 3/08 - 10/09 and represented nearly 2,400 open positions in high demand occupations in April 2014.
- Physicians - Hospitalists
- Physicians - Family Practice
- Physicians - Gastroenterologists)
- Physicians - Internal Medicine
- Physicians - Occupational Medicine
- Physicians - Internal Medicine
- Physicians - Emergency Medicine
- Physical Therapists
- Physicians - Obstetrics Gynecology
- Occupational Therapists
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Physicians - Urgent Care
- Hospice related positions
Additional high-demand job listings still increasing:
- Truck Drivers
- Sales Representatives
- Software Engineers
- Manufacturing Scientists and Engineers in pharmaceuticals
Projected High Demand Jobs to 2016 and 2020
Healthcare positions throughout much of the US will stay in high demand to 2020 or longer, because of aging population and retirement of current professionals.
Entries below in bold print indicate healthcare related jobs, although any computer/IT position may be involved directly with healthcare matters as well.
- Healthcare Techs and Support
- Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners
- Food Prep & Service
- Health Aides: Nursing, Psychiatric, and Home Health
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Personal Care and Service Jobs
- Business and Financial Operations
- Counselors and Social Workers
- Customer Service Representatives
- IT/Computer Professionals
- Computer Specialists
- Information and Records Clerks - Healthcare and other fields of work.
- Office and Administrative Support
- Postsecondary Teachers (college level)
- Protective Services – Law enforcement, fire, EMT, etc.-- EMTS are involved in Healthcare services.
- Allegheny College – one of the U.S. News and World Report Top 80 liberal arts.
- Carlow University – Catholic faith-based.
- Carnegie Mellon University - The highest-tech university in the USA, known for computer science, robotics, and other programs. Always ranked among top American schools.
- Chatham College – Private women’s college.
- Community College of Allegheny County
- Duquesne University – Downtown Pittsburgh, a high-ranked urban campus.
- Geneva College – Christian, liberal arts and sciences.
- Grove City College - Christian liberal arts and professional education.
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania – Three campuses.
- LaRoche College – Catholic, coed.
- Point Park University - Downtown Pittsburgh career education.
- Robert Morris University - Moon Township campus for business education.
- Saint Vincent - Catholic liberal arts.
- Seton Hill - Greensburg, PA. Liberal arts with design-your-own-majors.
- University of Pittsburgh - State research university.
- Washington and Jefferson College - Founded 1781. Famous for superior pre-law and pre-health programs.
- Westminster College – Presbyterian liberal arts.