Business and Jobs in Lexington-Nicholasville, Kentucky
Biotechnology and Healthcare Jobs Grow
Nicholasville is the fastest growing place in Kentucky, as reported by Bloomberg BusinessWeek. This mega-growth is related to the remarkable increase in jobs from 2010 through 2013, with a full 11,000 job openings available by January 2014 (Reference: US Census Bureau and Department of Labor). By March 2017, the greater metro area was offering 10,000+ positions among the major search engines SimplyHired, Indeed.com, and Craigslist Jobs.
The local unemployment rate is only 4.5%, indicating that the area does not have enough workers to fill advertised positions. There may be 1,000 fewer jobs in number from 2014 - 2017, but also a lack of job seekers to fill them.
Despite thriving business in Jessamine County, Nicholasville is still a small town in the Bluegrass Region along the Kentucky River, where you can view and enjoy the cliffs near the Palisades.
Indian Companies are Coming to Kentucky
Most would not realize that where world leaders go, economic development opportunities follow.— Nicholasville Mayor Russ Meyer
Nicholasville means to keep growing and sustaining momentum through global outreach. Successfully so, they have received a diplomatic visit from India's Dr. Abdul Kalam, which bodes well for international commerce between the Kentucky city and businesses on the Subcontinent, barring any immigration obstacles in the late 2010s..
Already, companies like Alltech, an important international biotechnology company, have constructed headquarters in Nicholasville. Humana, Inc.bases its HQ nearby in Louisville and provides a range of health insurance products and services.
An outstanding downtown development plan continually attracts additional enterprises to town.
Aerospace Businesses from India to Kentucky
Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, the Former President of India and a world-renowned Space Scientist associated with the Indian Space Research Organisation. Telemedicine and Biodiversity Information are potential areas for development in Nicholasville.
Bluegrass Region Of Kentucky
Top Job Listers
Government agencies, the Chamber of Commerce, and major job search engines reveal the following companies as those advertising the most jobs:
- University of Kentucky: Biotechnology and other jobs.
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Lockheed Martin: Aerospace and Defense, member of the NASA Commercial Crew.
- Rush Trucking, other trucking companies.
- Dollar General, Family Dollar Stores
- Saudi Aramco: Oil and Gas Production
- Affiliated Computer Services (ACS)
- Ben K & Associates: Healthcare Services.
- Fallstaff Travel Nursing: Travel nurses, medical assistants, technicians, other.
- Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, McDonald's: Casual Dining places.
- Bechtel Corporation: Biggest construction and civil engineering company in America.
- Catalent Pharma Solutions: Biotechnology.
- Hannah Resource Group: Biotech, Pharmaceuticals.
- Ashland Chemical/Oil: Oil production and Valvoline Oil Centers
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Engineers: Includes bio-engineering
- Physicians: Family Physicians and several specialties
- Physical and Occupational Therapists and Assistants
- Sales Representatives: Inside and Outside Sales, including medical devices.
- Manager Trainees and Assistant Managers
- Retail Salespeople
- Automotive Technicians
- News/Journalism Interns
- Truck Drivers: CDL Licensed and others.
- Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisors
- Hotels Unlimited - Executive Apprentice Program
Largest Employers of Louisville - Lexington- Nicholasville
- Humana Inc. - Insurance products and related healthcare services.
- Norton Psychiatric Center
- University of Kentucky and University of Kentucky Hospital
- UPS - Transport/delivery
- Ford Motor Company Truck and Auto Plants
- General Electric Consumer and Industrial Division
- Korsair Children's Hospital
- Lexmark International
- University of Louisville and University of Louisville Hospital
- Central Baptist Hospital Lifeline
- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
- St. Joseph Hospital
- Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield: Insurance
Government Projections for Job Growth
- Network Systems/Data Communications Analysts - approx. 54% growth, 2006 - 2016. Inspring 2010, these job titles began to increase more visibly in job listings.
- Court Reporters
- Personal and Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Veterinary Techs: his should be a rising-demand job title in view of successful horse farming in the area, especially celebrity-owned farms. See #7 below.
- Database Administrators
- Personal Financial Advisors: The demand for these jobs have fluctuated from summer 2008 - spring 2010, but showed an overall moderate increase. In spring 2010, these job listings were on the upswing. New financial jobs of this nature indicate a moderately growing local economy, reinforced by the fact that this area of Kentucky is the fastest growing for residential and business concerns. Look for growth in the rest of this job title list, particularly in the IT related titles in all industry clusters.
- Veterinarians: See #4 above.
- Computer Software Engineers
- Medical Assistants
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical Therapy Assistants - In spring 2010, this was the sole job title in the projections list to show high-demand status locally.
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Massage Therapists
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers: College Level
Downtown Nicholasville Plans To Grow
The downtown area continues improvement in infrastructure, business development, Historic District, the creation of additional green spaces, and the coming together of a solid community-within-a- community. It is a gem of developing architecture, culture, business, and comfortable, welcoming atmosphere.
The Downtown Community Center is an especially good anchor organization. An additional $1.5 million was allocated for renewal for 2011, with continued funding continued through the end of the 2010s.
Amid a comfortable small-town lifestyle and ambience, residents and visitors can use Nicholasville as a base for traveling short distances to Louisville and Lexington for big city features. This is Central Kentucky, where agricultural has been part of the economy forever. Cattle and tobacco are giving way to alternative crops these days, though.
A growing sector of agri-tourism and wine production is also new, with the first commercial vineyard in the USA here. The huge Kentucky Wine & Vine Fest is held in Nicholasville in the middle of May each year to celebrate this industry, offering an amateur wine competition to encourage new growers.
The vineyards and other agricultural installations are surrounded by horse farms and golf courses in the north end of the county and visitors love them all.
- Asbury University - Wilmore, Kentucky
- Asbury Theological Seminary - on Asbury University Campus.
- Georgetown College - In the city of the same name.
- Jessamine County Career & Technical Institute
- Lexington Theological Seminary - Located in Lexington
- American National University - Three sites east of Louisville
- Strayer University - Online
- Sullivan University - In Sullivan KY
- Transylvania University - In Transylvania KY
- University of Kentucky - Located in Lexington
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS